Thread: Bear in a snare

Question Bear in a snare

I shot a Grizzly this year that had been caught in a snare. I was up by Puritan creek. The snare was gone but you could tell that he had it on him for a while. His hare was gone and he had a really bad infection all the way around his neck and OH BOY did he stink.

Just wondering how common something like this is. He was a 7 1/2 ft bear.

Probably more commen than you'd think. I saw a pic last year of a real large griz snared by McGrath.
    Wolf trapping seasons open pretty early in some places, and stay open late in others. The oppotunity for a griz to get into a snare isn't that remote. An early wolf trapper finding a moose kill could easily end up with a bear in a snare.
    Probably most bears wearing snare cable necklaces just die where we don't ever see them.
    Hi Sam.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

It could also be that the bear in question never hibernated and spent the whole winter roaming. It was just eight years ago that I encountered one in February, and that same year (Jan of 99) Sepp Herman was attacked by a griz which killed all but one of his twenty dogs.

Can you tell for sure it was a snare? I've seen some nasty necks from collered bears.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by 375ultramag View Post
    I shot a Grizzly this year that had been caught in a snare. I was up by Puritan creek. The snare was gone but you could tell that he had it on him for a while. His hare was gone and he had a really bad infection all the way around his neck and OH BOY did he stink.

Just wondering how common something like this is. He was a 7 1/2 ft bear.
    I know of a similar situation where the "snare" was still there.

It wasn't a trapper's snare. It was an ADFG collar that was put on a young bear and didn't break off like it was supposed to.

The bear was put out of it's misery by the hunters. The hide was a waste.

I dont speak trapper so I dont know if you would call these bears snared or trapped. Either way you can tell by the way everything was chewed up they were not happy about it. All I know is the guy in the picture is supposed to be a F&G biologist that has trapped atleast 800 bears over the years and says he normally uses a helicopter to weigh them but couldn't on these bears for some reason. He says the larger one is the biggest one he's ever seen and thinks it's atleast 1200lbs. The smaller one was trapped in the same area (near Juneau) and is the 3rd biggest he's seen, he did not give an estimated weight of the smaller one.

http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t...tmakingset.jpg

http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t...h_blindset.jpg

http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t...nt_big_boy.jpg

http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t...6_Kbig_guy.jpg

wow, those are some monster bears
    LOVE MY LITTLE SKULL CLEANERS

Default Bears and snares

A couple of years ago a friend and I were bear hunting.My friend shot a bear.When we started to skin it.I found on the arm a very hard spot to skin.As I was cleaning it I realized it was were a snare had been.At this spot at a latter time I found a wolf snare still hanging in a tree.It was still in working order.I don't know who was trapping this area but I think they have a bad memory. But I can't say I have never lost one either.