Thread: Those with open boats and electronics

Default Those with open boats and electronics

Looking at installing a fish finder on my inflatable and not sure what to do to keep it out of the weather. What have you guys/gals done? Looking for advice so I don't make an expensive mistake.

put a dab of di-lectric grease on the quick disconnect fitting, and go get some fish! My fish finder sits in the wx w/ no problem (I think most are built somewhat weather-proof) I DO take the controller/display off when I trailer the boat down the road though... (I "shook" one to death on a trip once)

Install brackets/wiring and remove the electronics when not in use. Store them in a protective bag or inside a compartment. Mount them and plug in the wires at the beginning of the trip.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Install brackets/wiring and remove the electronics when not in use. Store them in a protective bag or inside a compartment. Mount them and plug in the wires at the beginning of the trip.
    That's the same thing that I do and so far it has worked great. When travelling down the road with the unit inside my truck, I'll cover the base and the connectors so road dirt, rain, gravel and whatnot stays off of it. The biggest thing is covering the electrical connection. When out on an extended trip (overnight) and you leave it conected, put a gallon ziplock bag over it with a rubber band to hold it on in case it rains. Cheap and easy little steps, but it works.

Default Bag It

Quote Originally Posted by AKBroncoII View Post
    Looking at installing a fish finder on my inflatable and not sure what to do to keep it out of the weather. What have you guys/gals done? Looking for advice so I don't make an expensive mistake.
    I don't have a pic of it installed but the bag you see laying beside the GPS/Sonar is the same material the boats road cover is made of.
    It has a draw string with a stop on it.
    I keep it in place when the unit is not in use, is great for keeping dirt off and keeps it dry. There is one on the bow also that does not have a hard cover like the one shown.

Maybe just get yourself a portable unit. I have a Humingbird portable that I have used for the past 10 years or so. Completly enclosed and it takes about a minute to get it up and working or take in out when I'm done. After going through a night camping where all of my electronics were stolen out from under my canvas top I figured nothing will be left in the boat again.

When I had my 16-ft inflatable, I used a portable sonar and it worked just fine. Just use the supplied suction cup to attach the transducer to your transom and you're on your way. If you do store your gps in a plastic bag, make sure it's first been rinsed with fresh water and allowed to dry thoroughly.

As a herring gillnetter I have extensive experience w/ a fishfinder located on my fwd console of a bowpicker. All the boats I know of we mounted a water tight aluminum box w/ a hinged plexiglass face. It may have been over kill having such a cover but if you've ever shaked herring you know there is eggs milt scales and slime flying every where. I think hummingbird makes a unit that is pretty much water proof.

Default Ipx-7

I just bought a Garmin that is IPX-7 rated - basically it is supposed to be:

"immersion up to 1 m Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 m of submersion)."

I am going to put it on my zodiac. I bought a waterproof dry box to put my battery(s) in and plan to use waterproof electrical connectors fitted to the holes that the cords for power and data/sonar will route into the box. the GPS will fit in the dry box. I will leave the transom mount ducer on the boat and disconnect everything else. Pwr cord will go in the box - box goes in truck.

I don't plan to do anything with it when I am on the water. At night or when not in use I will put the cover on it and probably bag it (at least initially).

I got the 546S for 959 with shipping to Anchorage - then the 100$ rebate. Best price that I found. PM me if you want to know who I got it from online.

Thanks guys. The one I have now is new and hasn't been opened. Been sitting on my shelf for a couple years. Going to use it until I kill it. Good advice on the dielectric grease. I may try to build something to at least keep the spray off.