Thread: Cabin Lighting

Default Cabin Lighting

Finally getting ready to wire the cabin, seems like a lot of weekends and about 2 months behind where I want to be. However I'm thinking of recessed lights, the ceiling height on the 1st floor is only about 8 feet, and about 9.5 on the second story. Any suggestions they look easy enough to install but I'm concerned with the low ceiling height and these type of lights (too many shadows maybe). Also thinking of a couple of small ones over a small breakfast bar area.

Thanks for any suggestions or comments.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default lighting

I used recess cans in the down stairs of my cabin 8' lid no problems they put out a ton of lght so you might consider dimmers depending on how many you have
    Attached Images Attached Images

How are you going to power your cabin, batteries or on the grid? If you are going to use batteries I would suggest you may rethink what type of lights you are using. I would also consider having more switches to be able to have fewer lights on.

I am planning to go with a small 4 battery setup and an inverter modeled after one of the other guys on here. He runs his batteries Friday night through Sunday noon then charges them with his generator. I don't like burning gasoline or hearing a generator all the time especially in the evenings.

My cabin is on the grid, I appreciate the comments on the recessed lighting but I have got some negative comments about the use of the in short ceiling homes, might require more lights to provide the same amount of light. But then again I don't think the installation of them will be an issue if I have to add another 4-6 lights to accommodate the same versus traditional lights and I do like the fact of something flush with my low ceilings. loose moose your cabin is looking good wish I was at your stage of the cabin, mine is all studs with a couple of interior walls left to go.

Default Diffussed lighting

I helped my dad do a project once. We took single flourecent fixtures and hung them at the wall/ceiling joint. We then made a 6 inch wide "shade" from light plywood (stained ect), and hung it directly infront of the bulb, yet kind of forming an "open Triangle" box that the light was in. It looked great, was low wattage, out of the way, and bright enough to read by... I have thought of putting a few in my cabin, in memory of ol pop....