Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Floatation pods

Default Floatation pods

Just finished today getting things ready for spring, I hope these pods do what they are supposed to...............
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Default 2 more pics

I extended the tunnel and filled in between the pods and the tunnel
    TR

Default Last 2 pics

Installed some hatches, the last picture is the bracket for the reverse gate on the jet pump, I modified it so it stays attached to the mid section of the motor. That way when I switch from a jet to a prop I can just remove the bolt at the gate quadrant, disconnect and bolt the two cables back together. This will eliminate having to remove the cowling/s and fool around with the cables and linkage so much.
    TR

Very nice, look forward to your test drive report.

Steve

Looks Good - I will be interested to hear the test results as well.

I am very anxious to see if they work as planned...................!
    Will let you know
    TR

Your boat WILL float at rest more level and a lot of your bow rise will be greatly reduced (in your case with a forward position windshield you probably didn't have much bow rise due to weight distribution).

I have done the same two mods on my 16' jet skiff, pods and mod to make switching between prop and jet, except I just got rid of the reverse bucket all together.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Suzuki/Johnson 140 because it uses a larger pump and foot (due to the engine's offset powerhead and gear reduction). Is it a real awesome performer?

Good project.

Sobie2

Sobie,
    I thought about deleting the reverse bucket, maybe if the boat was a little smaller or if I was a better boat driver.............

I like the 140, although I dont have much to compare too, I had a 4s Yamaha on a 17 Wooly and that was a great motor as well. I think the DF140 is the lightest motor in its class.

With the pump on, I can carry some where between 2000- 2400 pounds, not bad for a 60" bottom, I have to run the motor close to WOT (5000-5200 RPM). Burning about 9.5 GPH at 5200 and around 8 when I can get under 5000. Speed is 22-25 in a 5 MPH current. I am thinking the pods will let me back off the throttle some and still carry the same load?

I would be concerned if I was going to put a DF 140 on a bigger boat, depending on the loads I planned on packing, but maybe a wider bottom would be ok? My boat is fairly heavy to start with.

Top speed is mid 30's with the boat relatively light, I am never real light, as I am always carrying some gear, tools, winch, refreshments and I tend to fill the fuel tanks (84 gallons) if I am going very far, usally return with plenty of fuel, and in my book thats a good thing.

Interestingly, last year I installed a manual setback lift and it went from a 4 second hole shot to a 7-9 second affair, I hope the pods will give me some of that back.

Also am anxious to try out the prop, It should be plenty of motor to carry what I need......................any suggestions on a prop for this setup?
    John
    TR

Thumbs up

Looks good guys I did something real similar to my boat. It raised the stern 4 1/2" and no noticable difference in manuverability. I added a kicker mount to the left side and built it all from 1/4' with the idea if I ever replaced the IO with OB I could build off it for the OB mount.

Holy, someones been busy.
    Hate to see those leak and fill with water eh "Honey, it just won't get on step"
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Holy, someones been busy.
    Hate to see those leak and fill with water eh "Honey, it just won't get on step"

Maybe I should call them beer coolers instead of pods.....................LOL
    TR

Its always important to keep your center of gravity low, helps to increase your righting moment
    I think you may be on to something here......
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Thumbs up lookin good!

now go get some of that "mesh" (like they stick "stucko" to) an add that to the top of them pods and u will have a "good safty grip".....
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Very nice. You do some quality work!

Nice work!

I'm curious how those of you that add the flotation make sure you don't create too much loft in the stern.......that would cause your jet/prop to cavitate. I sure don't know how to make that estimate, and if your drive got too close to the water's surface, the only solution aside from undoing your work would be to lower the motor mount (for outboards).

What do you do to approximate where the new waterline will be?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by HuntKodiak View Post
    Nice work!

I'm curious how those of you that add the flotation make sure you don't create too much loft in the stern.......that would cause your jet/prop to cavitate. I sure don't know how to make that estimate, and if your drive got too close to the water's surface, the only solution aside from undoing your work would be to lower the motor mount (for outboards).

What do you do to approximate where the new waterline will be?

Mike
    Well, its something I pondered a while and hope I have made the right decision on the size.
    The biggest reason I did this was a result of how much lower in the water the boat sat after installing a lift w/ setback. It lowered the boat some 3-1/2" to 4", and that was a manual lift that was 1/2 the weight of the Power-Trans lift.

So what I did was calculate the amount of water the pods displace, in my case, for every 1", it will displace about 30 pounds, so if the pods bring the boat back up to where it use to sit, they will be ~8" in the water. Or 240 pounds of additional floatation.
    At 6", 200 pounds, where will it end up? I wont know untill I toss it in the drink...................

OB powered jet boats always set low in the back, especially w/ large 4 strokes on a relatively narrow bottom w/ a setback.
    I dont think you can add too much, unless you started extending them over 30", mine are 24" long and 20" wide at the bottom.

The design was a reasonably educated guess, if for some reason they are too much floatation, I could always shorten them up, I would hate to have to do that, but it would be a relatively simple job to do so.
    TR

Lightbulb

gramps, i think u will need a "helper" come water time as to just how "this pod thing is working !
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Yea, we need a pit crew... I'm in for the test ride...

Steve

Gramps, thanks for the explanation. Sounds like you really thought the mod through carefully, and I hope it works out perfectly!

Interesting reading your calculations cause any of my friends that added swim decks or extended their boats did so because they wanted a longer boat for better ride, stability, and quicker planing. Their reasons were a bit different than yours, plus they moved their motor back. That's why I was curious about your thoughts and planning.

I bet you fall asleep each night wondering.......don't you? You better hurry up and get her wet.

Thanks again,
    Mike

Well........pit crew..................test ride...................does this invlove adult beverages??????
    Sounds like an event, I am trying to get away mid April to try it out On the Delta-Clearwater.
    PM me if you guys want to hook up then or wait till the ice goes out in the Chena?

Mike,
    Yeah, everytime I change something I get a bit anxious to try it out........like..right now....!!!!
    TR

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast