Thread: Kodiak brown bear meat?

Default Kodiak brown bear meat?

I will be hunting on Frazer Lake the last 2 weeks of April - yahoo!

I was wondering if ayone has tried the meat from a Kodiak BB at this time of year and if so how was it?

I have read plenty about black and grizzly meat from various times of the year (fish/berry diet etc.) but would like to hear from some folks about BB meat in April.

Thanks

I havn't tried Brown bear meat in the spring, but there is no reason it shouldn't be good to eat. Let us know

Spring time is the only time I like to shop for BrownBear, as then (NOW!!) is gonna get a fella alotta tastey meat and gobs of Fat

Good luck, and let us know how it gos.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

they've never smelled good enough to me to even stuff in my mouth..they've been soaking in fish oil fat all winter...try some and then if you love it enough...bring it all out!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Try a Bite

Mine was excellent from a spiring hunt on Kodiak. Berry were the last thing eaten though.
    Louie

Default Pass

Have tried Spring & late Fall. All I smelled was decade fish. It tasted like that in camp & back @ home. If it has a hint of that fishy smell I leave it for the local wild inhabitants. But that is my taste buds talking.

Default Edible

It is edible but you better cook the heck out of it. Most brown bears carry parasites. In particular trichinosis. It is a roundworm that carries the larval form in cysts in the meat. If you thoroughly cook it, the cysts will die and will be harmless, but be sure you cook it. I ate it once while guiding on the peninsula. The hunter I was guiding wanted to try the flavor. I didn't much care for it, but it was edible. Not as flavorful as Black bear meat in my opinion. It is similar to goat meat. Kind of bland and tough. I don't care for mt. goat meat either. That is why I don't hunt for either very often. If you are planning to eat what you kill there, I would recommend bring some spices.

like bleach or vinegar....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I have never had bear meat that i liked. Personaly i would not walk 10ft to shoot one.

Default Brwnbr

I sent you a PM

We had some backstrap off a 4 yr. old brownie from a spring hunt on Kodiak. Cooked it up in camp that evening. A bit greasy and stringy, and the Johnny's seasoning made it edible. But not enough that we went back to salvage any more!

Thanks guys. I think I will aproach the meat issue with an open mind and maybe a closed nose - ha! We'll see - that is if I fill my tag!

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    I will be hunting on Frazer Lake the last 2 weeks of April - yahoo!

I was wondering if ayone has tried the meat from a Kodiak BB at this time of year and if so how was it?

I have read plenty about black and grizzly meat from various times of the year (fish/berry diet etc.) but would like to hear from some folks about BB meat in April.

Thanks
    My dad took a Kodiak Brownie in April a couple years back. He made the meat into breakfast sausage and it turned out really good. I am sure steaks would not be all that good unless you like your steaks burnt. (Since you have to cook the meat well done). I say try some, and be your own judge.
    -Caleb-