Thread: Spot GPS with tracking question

Default Spot GPS with tracking question

For those of you that have the tracking option on your spot ,How close can you zoom in on your progress ? I know it feeds back every 10 min . I wanting to put these on my guides atvs so I can keep track of them . I'm just wondering in a 8 hour period on a 65 mile trip how cluttered it would be on the screen? I just bought the Spot 2's the other day

Thanks
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

It's a Google map overlay. So you can zoom in and out on the Google map normally.

Look at some of the tracks I've posted to see how it works...

http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=47246
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Thats perfect !!! I'll go ahead and sign up for that.Thanks for the link

Did you get the GEOS Member Rescue Benefit option ? For $13 what the heck

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Did you get the GEOS Member Rescue Benefit option ? For $13 what the heck
    I get it with mine. It would take a lifetime of paying the $13 to pay for a .5 hour helicopter ride.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    I get it with mine. It would take a lifetime of paying the $13 to pay for a .5 hour helicopter ride.
    Yep thats what I was thinking

Yes. Basic service + tracking service + rescue insurance.

Note that you can't add the rescue insurance later at the low price, so you need to buy it up front.

Forget about the highway and marine towing services. Most are not available in Alaska and they steal the functionality of your Help message button.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Where's the best place to buy one of these? Seems like $149 is the going rate.. Figuring maybe REI, Costco (when in stock), or Cabelas based soley on thier return policies.. Any other thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by chasing View Post
    Where's the best place to buy one of these? Seems like $149 is the going rate.. Figuring maybe REI, Costco (when in stock), or Cabelas based soley on thier return policies.. Any other thoughts?
    My first pick would be REI, since they do such a good job backing up whatever they sell.

Second choice would be Sportsman's Warehouse.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

I'm not that familiar with the functions of the Spot, but I looked at your link, and it looks like it's showing Cordova VOOP, (?) in Soldotna somewhere. Am I missing something here? Thanks for the info.

Default Must be a simple explanation...

Quote Originally Posted by ANCguy View Post
    I'm not that familiar with the functions of the Spot, but I looked at your link, and it looks like it's showing Cordova VOOP, (?) in Soldotna somewhere. Am I missing something here? Thanks for the info.
    Simple explanation, right?

Default Look closer...

Quote Originally Posted by ANCguy View Post
    Missed your post, but I've been out and about for the last month and have only been able to pop in briefly ever couple days.

The specific trip you are looking at was last fall when I started in Soldotna (the green dot) and drove to Valdez (the red track line) and stopped in Valdez to catch the ferry. The trip ended in Cordova with the single check in dot that is shown in Cordova. So if you only look at the starting point, yes you'll be looking at Soldotna.

I'm currently up at the Yukon River (which you can see by my current activity tracking page), but I've forgotten about running the SPOT up here to gather some more test data for this area. I'll try to remember to turn on SPOT on my next drive up to Finger Mountain and back. Then next week I can log some more test points as I go all the way to Delta.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

SPOT performance contributes to an unnecessary fatality. Very sad.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...03/detail.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    SPOT performance contributes to an unnecessary fatality. Very sad.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...03/detail.html
    It sounded like it was due to the canyon walls obstructing clear view of the sky- not really a "malfunction" (as the article described it) but rather a known limitation of every device that requires satellite connection, SPOT included. It is very tragic, though.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

A PLB or Iridium-based device would have made satellite contact. Spot devices have a rather significant limitation. Guys need to recognize it. This story illustrates it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    A PLB or Iridium-based device would have made satellite contact. Spot devices have a rather significant limitation. Guys need to recognize it. This story illustrates it.
    You may be right, but possibly not, depending on how much of the view of the sky was blocked. SPOT uses the Globalstar network, which has had numerous reports of having poor reception in northern latitudes, but not in areas like Colorado. PLB's and Iridium Sat Phones use the higher satellites which are known to be more reliable in northern latitudes.

Personally I'm leaning strongly on having one of each. Right now I have a McMurdo FastFind PLB but I'm also thinking of buying my sweetie a SPOT. I like knowing that when he's out without me he can let me know he's ok. I also like the idea that when we are out together, we have two different systems (GlobalStar and Iridium) that we can depend on if we get into trouble that we can't get out of ourselves.

I bought a spot II and I have used it on the trapline and sometimes it will lose the tracking in deep forest cover, but I didnt buy it for that feature. Every ok, and personnal message that I have sent worked. It worked great on the ocean and in forest cover. I took it on a deployment and it worked in Florida, Germany, Kuwait, and United Arab Emgrants. I hope to stop in some other countries to see if it works there. The wife even said it was fun to see where I was in some of the other countries I have spottered her from. I have had some real good luck with mine and it really keeps the wife happy. If I was going on a trip that there is no way that I could walk out "fly out" ect. I would rent a sat phone for the just in case emergency. I'm happy with my unit and I think they will get better and better. Just like when they first stated making GPS units there where shotty at best. Now they are relabiable and the stuff you can do with them in amazing.