Thread: Tips on Homer Black bears?

Default Tips on Homer Black bears?

Some may remember that my daughter and I as well as another member of the forum and his daughter are doing a boat based bear hunt out of homer in june. This is the first time doing a boat based hunt. Anyway, I thought I would ask if anyone had any insights on this type of hunt that they would like to share? Maybe something that you wished you would have brought along, a tactic that worked better than another, etc....Can't wait

My friends and I have been fortunate enough to harvest three nice black bears out of Homer over the past couple of years.

Our general strategy is we keep a Zodiak raft strapped to the top of the boat, and use that the get on the beach if we find a bear worth going after. That way we don't have to worry about finding a decent spot to beach the boat or worry about running the engine to close to the bear. For the most part, the bears don't seem to worry to much if the big boat keeps some distance. Anyway, twice we've landed the Zodiak a ways down the beach and then stalked down the beach to get the bear. The third time we landed the Zodiak and then had a bit of an uphill climb to get within shooting range.

We usually fish for halibut and keep an eye out for bears, and then cruise around a bit at low tide when bears will be prowling the beaches looking for an easy meal or feeding on seaweed.

From my experience, some things to keep in mind...

Keep an eye on the wind. Try to approach from downwind. Typical hunting common sense.

A lot of times the terrain will dictate if a bear is worth going after. We see lots of bears up on the ridges, and some just aren't approachable. We've tried foolishly a couple times.

It seems we see the most bears active before dark, but they can be out anytime. Morning is good too of course, but I just recall seeing the most bear activity late in the day. Keep your eyes open at all times, though - you never know.

Above all, be safe! No bear is worth taking foolish risks. And have fun!
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Default Homer Black Bear

Just bumping to the top to try for more info. Thanks.

make sure you have a survial bag with you in the zodiak water and extra food and make sure the zodiak is very secured when you get to the beach....have fun
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM