Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best lightweight combo for halibut jigging ?

Default Best lightweight combo for halibut jigging ?

Looking for best lightweight option for my 16 year old daughter. Have read about Shimano Torium drag problems and Travala rods breaking. Saltist reels ? Cedros rods ? What's the best combo for a young woman ?

Ugly Stik for the rod. You wont break on of those unless you really try to break it. Great rods. Reels are what ever she likes.

Default Line is important too

So she can use a smaller weight, sometimes going with a smaller diameter fishing line can make the weight hold the bottom better, less drag going thru the water. But at 16 she should be able to handle just about any halibut rod. Part of halibut fishing.

I have a favorite but it would be impossible to come up with the best.

I`m using a 6' Okuma Cedros rod in the 65-150# class. The broad weight range should tell you that it is sensitive but with serious backbone. Mine is working great and have even used it to troll silvers when we had a catastrophic troll rod failure. I use 65-80# line and can load a relatively small reel w/1000' and it will work for anything up here. IMO, in the price range, the Cedros is one of the better choices.

Default Avet-Seeker

For light weight jigging I personally like a Seeker 7' (SS 6470-7') with a two speed Avet SX spooled with 300 yards of 50# Spectra. This light weight reel helps with the fatigue of all day jigging, and the two speed is perfect when you get a real hog on. Just slightly heavier I use a Seeker (SS 6470-H) in 7' also, with a two speed Avet JX spooled with 300 yards of 80# Spectra. Cost may be a factor, however these are nice to use, and excellent quality.
    Mist

Default Still Looking for Best Combo Myself

AK2AZ - Still looking for that best lightweight jigging combo, but have heard good things from local friends about Cedros. Handled a UglyStik jigging rod at the Boat Show here this weekend and it looked like it would do the trick, too - and you can't beat that brand for durability. I am still investigating my reel options - as of now I am leaning toward an Avet JX6/3. Good luck on your search!

I use a medium Action centerline rod and shimano reel spooled with 30 lb braid. Great rod and light weight. Can handle a 16 oz jig if necessary but I rarely go over 8oz. Been using the combo for 5 years. Very light weight. I like a longer rod for jigging. Going to look for a longer one this spring. Rod now is a 7'6" if I remember right.

The ones that Boneyard bait sells. Don't know the name, but they are feather light and tough as an ox.... Love this rod!!!!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I got a Okuma Cedro 6' Jigging rod also last year with an Avets HXJ 5/2 with Tufline XP Indicator colored line, and I love it. The colored line change really makes it convienent if you don't use a line counter. Beats fishing with my lamiglas pool cue with my pen 330's or 113H. There is nothing wrong with those combos as I still have 3 of them for guests, but there really is no comparison in weight and performance.

I'm fond of lightweight longer rods - a Loomis SAMR1084C 9' 10-30lb rod, and a Daiwa Saltist 30H reel with 50lb braid is my current favorite. Plenty rugged, and more fun for jigging with 8-16oz Big'Ns or big bucktails.

But we've caught plenty over many years with even lighter Cabelas 9' 10-20lb salmon/steelhead rods and Abu 6501 reels with 40lb braid. Biggest on this rig was over 200 lb.
    Richard Cook
    New Moon (Bounty 257)
    "Cruising in a Big Way"

Default Seeker and Avet

Seeker makes some really nice jigging rods and you can't go wrong with the 2 speed Avet. The reels are awesome and hold up really well and the 2 speed will a feature your daughter will really appreciate. If you are in Anchorage stop by the Tackle repair center and Terry can show you the different reel models and also the new seeker jigging rods. Good luck

accurate 270 and talk to Ron at www.barbartackle.com for the best lightweight jigging rods...
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

I have a Trevala mated with a Senator 113 (gonna change that this year tho) and and spooled with 50# powerpro. I *LOVE* it... made fishing for buts way more fun and exciting. I'm actually thinking of getting a second setup so friends can have as much fun as I am on the boat.
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

I hooked an Avet LX 6/3 (65# braid) up to a Penn Torque rod last season and liked it. I'm hooking up a couple more to the Trevala F series this season. I've not fished the F series, but others here (Alasgun) have recommended them.

I'd concentrate on a lightweight setup for her. You don't need massive drag, and a light combo is much more enjoyable for all day fishing. I'd say an Avet SX reel will be fine with 50# braid.

I keep trying new rods each year so I don't know which is best, but I'd look for a 200-250 gm rod. The new saltist jigging rods look promising and I'm planning on trying one this year.

Default For the money....

For the money and for a 16 y/o girl, the Cedros jigging rods are a great choice. They are half the cost of a Seeker, have a lifetime warrenty and are light and strong. I use them now on my boat and they have seen very hard use and held up fine. As for the reel, I like the Accurate 270 but again it is a 400 + dollar reel. I would suggest going for something a little less expensive, like a Penn GLD 20 or an Okuma Cedros 10S start drag reel. With those you would have about 375 into the whole rod and reel. For a Seeker/Accurate or Seeker/Avet you are looking at 550 - 600.

Default simple and cost efficient...

I use a medium/heavy Ugly Stick, a Penn medium/heavy spinning reel, and 25 lb. braided line.

I adjust the drag to line tensile strength, direct tie to a pencil jig, am first to sail it down, and have a great time with anything up to about 75 lbs.

Since I am an out-of-towner and not local, nothing larger is going to bite me anyhow...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Default Great rods for everyone

I bought some Whopper Stoppers from Ed Robinson at the sportsmans show about 5 years ago for my daughters and my wife, now I fish 6 of them and catch everything from salmon, rock fish, lings, and halibut. Look them up on his website WWW.whopperstoppers.com and look at the mini's. Everyone use to fight over them after they fished with them one time so I had to buy more. They are the perfect size for young people. I have put some big butts in the boat with them 150 - 200 pounders with no problem. I do carry the old style (larger) halibutt poles for back-ups and for people that piss me off (LOL)
    I have tried all different kinds od reels and they all work great.

If you need more info PM me your contact info.

Later
    Moose

I have a couple Trevalas mated with older Avet LX 4.6 reels, 50# PowerPro. Great, lightweight, plenty strong. My favorite is a 7' Daiwa Interline with LX 6.0, 65# PowerPro.

A word about the WhopperStoppers. I agree they are great for kids, and fun to fish with. I would say be very careful jigging with them. I had one pop out of my hands twice many years ago. The first time, it landed in the boat. The second, well... I have another now, but just use it for soaking bait. Short, fairly stiff rod gives the fish alot of leverage on a hookset.

Default Lots of great outfits suggested...

And as some pointed out, the Avets etc. are really pricey, but worth every penny. But, you can do very well with a 10-50 or 10-60 lb. rated Ugly Stick Tiger rod, about $70, and a Penn 310 GTI (about $90)loaded with 50lb super braid, lightweight, will handle a big halibut and any rockfish. If you want a little bigger reel, the Penn 320 GT2 (about $110) is as much as you will ever need. Both of these reels have a level wind, you don't want your daughter having to lay the line with her thumb while reeling; The tiger rods looks great with these black graphite bodied reels with chrome trim, and the Penn drag is excellent for the way a halibut fights up and down, no really fast lateral runs. Look around for sales on PowerPro or the original Tuff Line...the pure spectra superbraids are so limp, they are prone to looping around the tip of the rod = big problem if a fish hits! There are some other good superbraids on the market, they are all quite expensive; 300 yards is enough for any halibut if fishing in 250' or less depth, so you can back the superbraid with a bunch of mono which is inexpensive.

You never mentioned price, but if it is a consideration, you really don't need the $500-$600 combos, but they are sweet to have!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast