Thread: Remington 798?

Default Remington 798?

Does anyone use one of these rifles? I was cruising Gunbroker and noticed a few of these in 458 Win Mag. Seem pretty cheap for a big bore and they used a Mauser type action! One of these days I am going to Africa and would like a big bore.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=161779251

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    Does anyone use one of these rifles? I was cruising Gunbroker and noticed a few of these in 458 Win Mag. Seem pretty cheap for a big bore and they used a Mauser type action! One of these days I am going to Africa and would like a big bore.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=161779251
    My latest issue of Shotgun News shows CDNN selling the 798s in 375HH & 458 win with laminated stocks and express sight for $499. One in walnut chambered in 308, 7mag or 300 mag can be had for $399.

In my opinion they are a bargain. I found one over the weekend in the mini-mauser chambered in the wonderful little triple deuce for $400 so I put it on lay away.

Default 222?

I am kind of surprised that it was chambered for 222! I don't have a rifle chambered for that but do have a set of reloading dies, but that is another story. Good luck on the 798. I really can't believe the prices anyway.

There decent guns. All they are are basic interarms mark X guns sold under remington, I do wish they woulda kept the mag release in the bow versus the pushbutton. I have one in 30-06 and 300winny. If anything I like the 798's synthetic stock. For a stock that comes on a cheap gun, they work pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    My latest issue of Shotgun News shows CDNN selling the 798s in 375HH & 458 win with laminated stocks and express sight for $499.
    The rear sight is a standard buckhorn-type blade.

I had some guns on consignment at an area gunshop and he sold most of them at a recent gunshow so I had some money burning a hole in my pocket. I ordered up two 798s one with a walnut stock in 308 and the other laminated in 458 win.. They should be here next week.

I handled one of these 798s a week ago that had been smoothed up (lapped) and it was as smooth as any 98 that I've messed with. The surplus ones out there are rapidly being depleted so I figured it's now or never.