Thread: J-max not hitting rpm's

Default J-max not hitting rpm's

I have an extreme shallow jetcraft with a yamaha jmax engine. All of the sudden it wont get up to the proper rpm's, has anyone ever had this happen. Is it a bad plug??????????

I had a similar problem with a single cylinder motorcycle (Yamaha). Check the spark plug torque. If it is too loose you will not get a good ground and will have a weak spark along with the possibility of not getting full compression. My plug was barely past hand tight, I torqued it and the problem went away. Good luck.

I pulled the plugs today and they were all tight, I did notice that 3 of them looked the same color and one plug was a quite abit darker than the others, so Im guessing its a bad plug. It idles just fine, no miss, but once I get on it it seems to run fine but wont get up to full rpm. I ordered new plugs this morning. When they get here I am going to put them in and try it.

Default let us know

esp. the details of what you have (engine specs. inluding year) and what you find vs. what you've done and what happens after a change. Maybe you should contact Yamaha on this. I'm paying attention... keep me in the loop. Good luck bro.

p.s. did you check the spark plug gap/s? How sure enough good is your fuel? And especially, how new is your engine and what maintenance has been done?

I figured it out, I put new plugs in it and it works great. This engine only has about 100 hours on it and I change the oil twice a year. The darker looking plug must not have been firing enough when at wide open throttle. Shes hittin 9800 rpm now.

Quote Originally Posted by rhino36 View Post
    I figured it out, I put new plugs in it and it works great. This engine only has about 100 hours on it and I change the oil twice a year. The darker looking plug must not have been firing enough when at wide open throttle. Shes hittin 9800 rpm now.
    Wow, almost 10K rpm. What's redline in that thing?

10K is what its suspose to run at, Im 200 rpms low but thats close enough.

Glad you got her figured out. I know how frustrating that kind of thing can be.