Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .375 Ruger Lover

Default .375 Ruger Lover

I like the cartride so much I named my truck after it.....

...Now I just need a bumper sticker that says..

If Buffalo and Elephant are afraid, maybe you should be too
    Attached Images Attached Images
    375 Ruger Hawkeye...Mice to Moose, Impala to Buffalo....1 GUN.....WORLDS PURSUIT

I shot the .375 ruger, still CAN'T beat the ole' HOLLAND and HOLLAND....

Default 375

Idaho I found one in left hand last year.... didnt buy it.. then watched my son shoot a grizzly with his ruger 375.. im still kicking myself. It will take years but I predict the ruger 375 will become more popular than the old h&h. just because of the shorter length.

I'm a believer in the 375 ruger as well. It may not be quite as popular as the H&H, but killing animals doesn't have to be a popularity contest. The Ruger performs marvelously.

Default consistent feed

So is a short stroke as valuable as the consistent feed of the H&H sloped shoulders?

Is the powder capacity equal to the H&H case?

I don't deny your claims, just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    So is a short stroke as valuable as the consistent feed of the H&H sloped shoulders?

I am not a handloader. I believe though it holds %6 more than the H&H. It is hard to match hornady's ballistics though at they use some combo powder or something. I bought one because I don't handload. I shot one and liked it before hand. It is a ruger, feeds flawlessly like my MKII did. Better trigger and a pleasure to carry with that 20"BBL!

Default Shoots great

I had mine for a year. Had to cancel my trip due to business conditions, but have shot a lot. This thing is lights out. 280yds I put the crosshairs on the cap of a 20 oz. pepsi bottle full of water and its shower time. Its a shooter. I hope it sticks around

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I shot the .375 ruger, still CAN'T beat the ole' HOLLAND and HOLLAND....
    I'll call that bet and raise you...

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    I'll call that bet and raise you...
    I've owned both and the I'm quite sure the H&H has nothing to worry about. Ammo availability and access to reloading parts will ensure the Ruger is an American anomoly for some time to come. The other issue is that most people prefer a heavier rifle in .375 which plays into the H&H's magnum action. I now have a Ruger because I like a lighterweight rifle. But that's just me. I'm not knocking the ruger, but I don't think the H&H is in any danger.

Brett

I believe when you get into this type of rifle there really is nothing going to replace anything else. In sheer numbers these things just don't sell like lighter rifles and ammo is generally priced high enough to be profitable in smaller numbers for the manufacturer. You can still buy ammo for a wide variety of really odd and obsolete chambers so I think the H&H is here to stay for any of our lifetimes. I also believe the .375 Ruger is here to stay as well- particularly considering the number of rifles built and fielded already exceeds the volume of some of the bigger bores of yesteryear and ammo for those is still readily available.

Chances are it will always be an American thing given our relatively easy access to rifles and components but most calibers introduced since the 70s fall into that category.

In my mind the beauty of the Ruger is just how easy it is to produce the rifle. From a tooling and R&D standpoint this is a simple rifle to produce.

Owned a bunch of H&H's over my lifetime and one 375 Wby as well. They are all gone now and a 375 Ruger takes their place. I think Rugers Alaskan rifle has as much to do with the sucess of this round as anything else. Stainless, great trigger, short barrel, built in scope mounts, rock solid rings and factory iron sights.

A lot of the same comments were made when the 300 Win Mag came out. It will never replace the 300 H&H, etc.
    How many stores in Alaska can you go into now and find loaded 300 H&H ammo on the shelf ? If you can find it, bet ya dinner you can find more in 300 Win Mag.
    Tennessee

Thumbs up Ruger AK 375

I have a 375 Ruger AK put a Leupold 1.5x5 in Warne QR rimgings on it and Harris Pods............sure shoots good with Nosler 260gr Accubonds and Reloader 15.

Brett excuse my assumption.

When he said beat I assumed speed, the Ruger will out preform the H&H. If someone prefers the H&H for it's age or weight then the H&H is older and heavier that's for sure. As you say, the H&H is not in danger. It gets the job done.

As for accuracy I've been very happy with my Ruger loads. The short fat barrel is easy to load and accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Brett excuse my assumption.

When he said beat I assumed speed, the Ruger will out preform the H&H. If someone prefers the H&H for it's age or weight then the H&H is older and heavier that's for sure. As you say, the H&H is not in danger. It gets the job done.

As for accuracy I've been very happy with my Ruger loads. The short fat barrel is easy to load and accurate.
    Agreed.

Brett

Short strokes are almost impossible if you work a bolt properly, if not then you can short stroke any size action.
    The slick feeding and lower pressures of the H&H are positive attributes in a DGR.

If you look carefully at published reloading data if the bbl lengths are equal then they will be ballistic twins, where they have the Ruger edging out the H&H the Rugers bbl length will be 2+" longer (24").

That said they are both wonderful cartridges and neither will be going away, not in our lifetimes.

Great plates Idahoth!

Any properly functioning Ruger 375 will feed smooth, mine is better than my buddies 375H&H Remington 700.

I load for both rifles, his is a 24" and mine a 20". The 375 Ruger out runs the H&H with the same bullets period. The case capacity is about 8% higher in the Ruger and the 20" barrel is just about perfect.

There is something to be said for the design of the H&H. It has a nice taper from shoulder to head and more neck. On paper it's easy to assume it would feed and eject better. If the Ruger isn't loaded over max then ejecting won't be a problem. The Ruger case also has tapper, just not as much. The Ruger is belt-less, some think that is a positive.

The hype about standard length action isn't such a big deal, 3.340" versus 3.600", a whopping .260" of bolt travel.

The comment about the pressures isn't really an issue in my opinion. The H&H operates at 62,000psi max and the Ruger at 63,000psi. That's a 1.5% difference, a lot less than the reported difference between CCI 250's and WLRM primers.

Ruger's words:

NON-ROTATING, MAUSER-TYPE CONTROLLED ROUND FEED EXTRACTOR is the most positive case extraction system ever invented, and features a fixed blade-type ejector that positively ejects the empty cases as the bolt is moved fully rearward.

The quote above could be considered a positive attribute in a DGR too.

If Ruger isn't your rifle of choice there are other manufacturers that are now chambering their rifles in 375 Ruger.

Cheers,
    Last edited by marshall; 03-25-2010 at 00:11. Reason: typo

Who else makes .375 Rugers? I know of the expensive CZ Safari Grade, and Howa is rumored to, although I have never found one for sale anywhere. Are there others that I don't know of? I don't have a preference between the Ruger or the H&H, but I already have dies and brass for the Ruger round. Just curious as I'm gonna have some deployment money to burn up in about 5 months...

And no, I don't want a Ruger rifle...

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    Who else makes .375 Rugers? ...
    Steyr is chambering the round as is Howa and CZ and of course...Ruger.

I believe that Savage is planning on chambering it as well and given their "parts bin" mentality putting one together wouldn't exactly be difficult for them.

If you have a spare standard length action laying about a rebarrel is certainly possible from just about any one of them.

One of the things I really like about the .375 Ruger is the Ruger Alaskan...I don't know the round would elicit more than a slight yawn on my part without that rifle...

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    Who else makes .375 Rugers? I know of the expensive CZ Safari Grade, and Howa is rumored to, although I have never found one for sale anywhere. Are there others that I don't know of.

Just curious as I'm gonna have some deployment money to burn up in about 5 months...

And no, I don't want a Ruger rifle...
    The ones you mention do advertise the chambering. Most custom shops can cut the chamber for you as well. I have seen a few custom shop adds floating around with the offering.

The pic attached is a three shot 100 yard group shot by me with a Leupold 1.5-6X24mm scope. My rifle has a Vais muzzle brake and a Timney trigger, no other mods.

Perhaps a custom rifle with a higher power scope would be more accurate. Since you have the dies careful reloading and effort to find your rifles sweet spot may return good results for you.

I buy Ruger for a warm fuzzy feeling. Made in America, no import crap in my gun safe.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast