Thread: Statewide Felt Sole Ban

Default Statewide Felt Sole Ban

http://troutunlimitedblog.com/alaska...e-wading-gear/

Alaska enacts statewide ban on felt soles. Supposedly, the 2011 south-east ban will be postponed to coincide with the statewide ban in 2012.

ADF&G (if this is indeed true) must have felt that this was a step in the proper direction....[/bad pun(s)]

I switched to Cloudveils Vibram® Idrogrip™ last Fall, and in all honesty I didn't notice any appreciable difference in traction while wading on a variety of river/stream/creek-beds, while the hiking/walking OUT of the water was notably much more pleasant without the weight of 2 saturated sponges glued to my feet....

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Hippie, is that a sole that can be put onto existing boots?

I'm trying to see what options I have for my current (felt-soled) boots. I hate to chuck them...even though they're nothing special. But they're almost new and I usually only use them 1-2 times a year.

MRFISH, I don't believe they are. Fortunately for me my felts finally took a dump last summer (although it wasn't so fortunate at the time, 8 days into a 21 day run of float trips - duct taping felt back onto a boot is oh so much fun...and effective ) and as much as I had a sentimental attachment to 'em they (Simms guide model) weighed a TON compared to these new fangled rubber ones.

I feel everyones pain who has a new pair of felts, those suckers ain't cheap! Maybe an incentive from T.U. or some of the bigger wader co.'s for a rebate on rubber if you send in your felt would be mutually beneficial....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Good to know. I never made the switch to felts, but was seriously considering it last summer since I now carry my son around while wearing my wading boots. I guess I'll just have to watch my step.

i wear old tennies.... sometimes i slip and fall, but that might be more the result of the beer ive been drinking

Release Lake Trout

I've been wearing corked extra tuff boots as my wading boots the last few years. Not the easiest to pull on over neoprene waders, but the grip you have getting to the river is unparalleled. The corks really seem to come in handy when you're hiking through clearcuts, muskegs, and old growth timber to get to some lakes and rivers. Also handy for walking across logs that are blown down all over the creeks on POW.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    i wear old tennies.... sometimes i slip and fall, but that might be more the result of the beer ive been drinking
    LOL! don't be gettin a ticket for operating those sneakers under the influence

shoebarus, runs on alcohol so i have to make sure i bring plenty of beer, or something else!

Release Lake Trout

if they try to stop me ill run away, if i can! lol

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    Hippie, is that a sole that can be put onto existing boots?

I'm trying to see what options I have for my current (felt-soled) boots. I hate to chuck them...even though they're nothing special. But they're almost new and I usually only use them 1-2 times a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    It's a few weeks late but I just read this. I posted it on another thread but to answer your question MRfish...yes. I had two pairs of felts resoled with the aquatread stuff. The link to the place I used is listed below.
    http://www.rmresole.com/wading.html

Hunt&FishAK....dude, I had the same problem, I put cleats in my boots and got a wading staff. It made me a little more stable, but I still take a dip or end up on my face from time to time. A few more beers makes the pain and the cold feeling go away. The little inflatable orange things kids put on their arms in the pools adds extra insurance for wading the big rivers!

Alaska's new official "fishing hat." (advanced anglers model)
    "fishing hat" (beginner's model)

I just spent the past week fishing in the SE with vibram soled wading boots. I don't think the helmet would have done me any good but knee and elbow pads definately would have helped. The funny thing is all my falls and my bruised knee and elbow (along with hole in waders) occured while walking on dry (relatively) land, either slipping on an exposed tree root or slick spot on a boardwalk. I don't think I had any wading incidents because I was conciously being more careful due to the fact that I was wearing rubber soled boots. Even funnier is that my buddy wearing felt took several accidental dips into the river.