Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone in fairbanks ATA show 500$ reward

Smile anyone in fairbanks ATA show 500$ reward

hey there folks, theres an AtA show this morning on 2nd st in the big rays parking lot 10:00 preview 11:00 sales. my friend had his sheep horns taken away and cant make it up there. i felt bad for him and then thought if someone could take the time to look up there and see if his horns are there he's willing to give a 500$ reward plus the price of gas and the horns them selfs. if anyone in fairkbanks is interested the auction starts today sunday 21mar10. he's willing to pay for gas either way and if the horns are found at that auction then the finder gets 500$ . anyone interested email and ill forward his pics. thanks for helping out if you can folks.

Default How to identify.

You got a number for the seal plug or something. Need more info.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

We need to make sure that a couple of us are not bidding for the same guy....

Steve

Default Sheep horns

I have a friend going to the ATA Trappers dinner, he is not a member here, but he asked me a ton of questions...he said he would help out but does not want to end up eating the horns, written contract would be in order for this ordeal, plus a very detailed pic of the horns (sheep horns are like fingerprints, No two sets are alike) he also stated that even after paying the auction price,reward money, gas etc..the horns aren't worth that unless they extraordinarily huge horns. Thats all the questions he had...

I was just curious....but don't want to start bashing anyone, but why did it get taken away???

Better also make sure that it is not a trap/sting operation. As you will be "SELLING" for a $500.00 profit a pair of sheep horns. If you can legally sell Dall Sheep Horns I have some for sale also. What one man calls a reward, another may call a criminal enterprise. My Horns are free......Just pay me $1,000.00 "Reward" for selling them to you.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I was just curious....but don't want to start bashing anyone, but why did it get taken away???

This is a very legitimate question, how many hundreds of Kodiak Brown Bears have been shot, in so called DLP, and then the shooter has a friend buy the hide at auction. Cheap hunt for a Non-resident hunter. It was being do so often that they passed a rule/law that you could not buy your own "Poached" Trophy.

Smile

he'll pay you a lot for gas and the trouble for looking for his set, only a finders fee. he's paying you for the time. its just like proxy bidding at an auction, paying you to sit and buy stuff for em.

not to be negative nancy but were they taken away for a good reason...like he poached it? if so why would people want to help this guy?

Smile

i dont want to be in any legal issues so i will withdrawl my offer. didnt think i was wrong but dont want to chance it you know. thanks for all the inquires on the help.

Guess that makes the answer to "WHY THE HORNS ARE NO LONGER IN THE SHOOTER'S POSSESSION" all the more pertinent - hate to be pessimistic/cynical but given the circumstances and unaddressed questions.....??

I would imagine that the horns didn't make full curl. I don't think you can bid on anything that you had seized which would make this a straw purchase type situation. Would be interesting to see the exact regulation covering this though.

Default The sheep was legal

The sheep was actually legal, it was other circumstances of why it was taken by F&G, I am not obligated to say, but if you guys need to know just PM doogie, he seems pretty sincere about this. he was just trying to help a buddy out.......Chuck

hmm. this has really got my curiosity what good reasons would horns be confiscated that were legally taken? no matter what there had to be some game infraction. oh well, maybe there is a legit reason.

? military ? legal resident status claim ? draw only area ? park ? first degree relative loophole
    ? other reasons for legal sheep illegally taken ? might be an infraction we could all learn from, i.e. unintentional infraction ....

military, so close to residency it was stupid but got nailed. unless you have exacly 365 days and not even a days less, in this state do not even attempt to apply for a licenes. consecutive does not mean month to month, 365 days. cost 2450$ in fines and he has no record what so ever. especially if your military, he said they're 12 other cases all military because they look at the dates from your base. bottom line shouldnt have applied for a licene, but still i think he got slammed f***** hard considering they're people in this state that poach, kill animals and let the lay, dont take meat out etc. did everything to a T to the law, brought out all the meat, got it to fish and game ASAP. if something was wrong he had 30 days to turn it in. if he was doing something malichious, he would have lied and waited a few days and he would have gotten off scot free. he was promiced reduced sentance and only 500$ in fines if the judge was willing. He talked to a trooper in anchorage, went to glen allen and a diferent trooper was up there that wanted maximum even though the judge wanted to reduce. dosnt make me trust troopers when they promise a guy one thing and the exact opposite when in the court room where it counts. A guy before i came here said that if Troopers can make a dime off you they will, i believe. read all regs, ask, confirm twice. anything to prevent a trophy lost, dont let it happen to you!

question. if you are living here and take a vacation during your first 365 days here and go out of state does that exclude you from obtaining residency? I know it sounds stupid but as crazy as the residency laws can be up here ya never know.

Sorry for your friends misfortune.

Thanks, your fine if you go on vacation just make sure you have 365 days once you cross over into Alaska. They had his ak posts, wifes myspace, his myspace, facebook, boarder info. anything they can get. Basically there's a lot of crap and man hours for something petty.
    Last edited by doogiehauz; 03-21-2010 at 18:02. Reason: S

Default Sorry Doogie

Not Petty. Rules are simple - spend 365 days in AK, you're a resident. Don't know what your buddy did but if he wasn't a res he shouldn't have hunted/applied as a res. Even if it was 364 days. Most of us have done it who weren't born here, I hope they get all folks who try to push the envelope.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Not that it matters now but the ATA hide and horn auction was held at the Mushers hall on Farmers loop, it was moved from Big Rays. We didn't make it to the auction today but were there all day yesterday.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast