Thread: Seat Set Up

Default Seat Set Up

Any pics of good seat set up for fishing?

I've got a Aire Jag.I need to haul four people on the boat, two of which are over 70. I only have 1 seat right now and I have an NRS frame. I figured I need seats for my older passengers to make them more comfortable. Any good fishing set ups with rod storage?

Thanks in advance.

Default seats 4..

Sorry akrafter,
    Meant to respond a few weeks ago to this post.
    I don't actually have many pictures of my frame setups in the water, the one here with the three seats is an old frame I used to use that has changed dramatically. The picture of the frame on the wall is the one I use most. I've had 6 people on this fairly comfortably (no seats other than the rowing seat, extra life vests for seating on tubes).
    But in answer to your question, my raft is a 16' Lion and although I've never actually fished more than three (including myself) off it, after that I don't think I'd ever like to fish more. For rod storage on fishing trips though I use a 3" pvc pipe as a rod holder, it works ok not great though.
    The seats I use are 'fish-on' seats, I believe Alaska Raft and Kayak sells them (with pads which I don't have). They get a little uncomfortable without cushions after a while though.
    One of the greatest features I believe of a cataraft is the capability to engineer your own frame. Here in Fairbanks I buy my pipe from CNR pipe and cut to length myself, so I think if you came up with a good plan for a frame you'd be able to just put it together yourself. I'd think about using cross pipes kind of like the one I have one the front. My pics are just for amusement, but hopefully you'll see something you might like too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Cataraft Seating

Quote Originally Posted by akrafter View Post
    Any pics of good seat set up for fishing?

I've got a Aire Jag.I need to haul four people on the boat, two of which are over 70. I only have 1 seat right now and I have an NRS frame. I figured I need seats for my older passengers to make them more comfortable. Any good fishing set ups with rod storage?

Thanks in advance.
    Rafter,

Here's a photo of a setup you can build yourself. This one uses a Hollandaer fitting for the elbow, and NRS Lo-Pro fittings at each end. Make sure you really clamp that seat plate on or it can spin around on you. I would consult with the guys at Alaska Raft and Kayak on this, they have some pretty good ways of anchoring these in without busting your U-bolts.

This particular configuration is my personal favorite because it gets folks more INSIDE the boat, as opposed to mounting the seat plate on your side rails (which puts the occupant on top of the tube).

Note of caution; there have been increasing reports of folks having the Fish-On seats stolen off their boats in the grocery store parking lots, etc. There is a way to secure them to prevent this from happening. Make sure you do this or you could end up seat-less when you're not looking.

Finally, you might use a Dremel tool to cut a slot in the seat bottom and the fold-down seat back (near the edge). If you're trailering your boat like many of us do, you can run a strap through these slots to keep the seat backs from catching the wind on the highway and possibly snapping off.

As to rod holders I generally don't recommend them on rivers where overhanging trees or sweepers are a possibility. You'll forget the rods are there and go under a limb... SNAP! There go your rods. Still, if you must do it, a short piece of frame pipe with a Lo-Pro fitting on one end can be clamped to your cross rail up front. Just set the rod butt in that when you're not using the rod. Naturally, you want to place these out of the way so you don't trip and impale yourself... dunno about you, but whenever I have a two-inch hole punched through my guts it sorta changes my plans for the weekend...

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Seats

I like the positioning of that.

I have an NRS frame.
    http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...2&deptid=1053#

I think I can figure something out to work so the seats won't be direct over the tubes.

Any hints on proper balance?

When I usually go it is 2 people + dog. The dog has a plywood platform in front, rower in middle / back and other person with the dog. This seems to work fine. I am kind of concerned about weight balance, as it will be a 180lb (or so?) guy, 210lb (?) and a 180 lb and 130 pound. It will be a day float with fishing gear.

I don't plan on fishing on the boat... I was just wondering where to store the rods between sandbars to keep them safe.

What are the best seats to get? Any good deals out there?

I am too far away from Alaska Raft and Kayak.

Default Tempress Fish-On Seats

Quote Originally Posted by akrafter View Post
    What are the best seats to get? Any good deals out there?

I am too far away from Alaska Raft and Kayak.
    Rafter,

I use the Fish-On seats by Tempress. Wal-Mart carries them. They bolt right up to the seat plate I posted earlier, which can be anchored anywhere there is a bar on your boat.

Your earlier question was about seat placement. You really don't need to fabricate anything for this; just order an extra cross-bar from NRS and you can mount your seats on that.

As far as rod storage, you might consider some short vertical pipes. Order them from Alaska Raft and Kayak. It's just a one-foot piece of frame pipe with an NRS LoPro fitting on one end. Clamp it to your frame and set your rod butts in it. Obviously this is not a good idea on rivers with sweepers and such, as you'll snap your rods off when you float under the tree. But it might work where you float if there are no overhead obstructions.

Another idea on rod storage is to store them in tubes strapped lengthwise or sideways on the frame. If you're storing rigged rods, we just lean ours either forward or backward against a seat bar, with the butt of the rod resting on the floor. Many ways to do this.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Thanks for the help.

Right now I have a rod case strapped on the side of my raft. I think I stay with this setup.

Thanks again.

Default seats continued

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/...0,0,0&format=0

I am looking at doing this kind of "bench" and putting two seats on it.

ANyone know where I can find some hard plastic like shown in the picture?

I am trying to find on mcmaster.com

Also where is the best place to buy the Hollender fittings?

Default Seats Continued

http://www.hollaender.com/
    I have bought some fittings for other applications from:
    http://www.wagnercompanies.com/Cast_Aluminum.aspx
    Thye work just great, not boat stuff though, although they might have some stuff that does works for boats.

As to the plactic: http://www.cacalaska.com/index.html
    should be able to help you. I bought some custom cutting boards for the boat and they cut, round edges, slot or what ever you want.

Default A tip on the seat board-

Thought I'd mention that if you go with a swivel seat mounted on a board like this, you might consider large washers or a backing plate underneath. That plastic is pretty soft and it doesn't take long for the screw heads to pull through, or even for small washers to become a problem.

Hope it helps!

You might also try Cadillac Plastics here in Anchorage, 166 Potter Dr Anchorage, AK 99515. 907-563-4761. Dunno if they'll cut, router and slot for you though... that sounds like a pretty good deal.

-Mike