Thread: Cruisin' to Juneau and Ketchikan

Default Cruisin' to Juneau and Ketchikan

My wife and I are taking our first cruise to Alaska. We will be in Juneau June 2,2010 from 6:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m. and Ketchikan June 3,2010 from 10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. We are looking to go on a fishing charter from either port. The species of fish is not as important as having an enjoyable time. Can anyone suggest a reputable charter? Thanks for any help!

Default While in Port...

Of those two destinations, I would select Juneau as the port to fish. It is a very congested stop and leaving that town behind for your outing gives you Ketchikan for touring. Ketchikan has a unique charm and is an easy walker, whereas Juneau is not.

I have not chartered out of either port. Check Juneau's visitor bureau on the Internet for charter opportunities.

The cheapest way to do Juneau is to take a taxi from town to the airport and pick up a car rental to spend your day seeing plenty and then return it and taxi back to the ship. You can even road fish if you are equipped and the run timing matches your stay.

Ketchikan offers fishing right in the heart of town, though it is somewhat touristy.

If you get weathered out, do the museum in Juneau. Stop in the SoHo Coho Art Gallery in Ketchikan. It's home to Ray Troll, Alaska's favorite fish illustrator and artist...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

the kings should be runing buy then in ketchikan.the haturey run can be realy good there. i dont know about juneau so no input about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard R. Rosenberg View Post
    The cheapest way to do Juneau is to take a taxi from town to the airport and pick up a car rental to spend your day seeing plenty and then return it and taxi back to the ship.
    There will be kings around at that time.....

If you're looking at chartering, the cheapest way to get to Auke Bay (likely where your charter would be out of) is the bus. The ship isn't going to let you back on with fish anyways (unless they've changed that policy). Might as well save $60 (rt) if all you're looking at doing is going fishing and coming back.

http://www.juneau.lib.ak.us/capitaltransit/index.php

Default Call Ahead & Make Arrangements

The amount of time you spend ahead of time conversing with either Juneau or Ketchikan charter operators (either by phone or email) and telling them what you want to do will pay dividends in the quality of your charter experience. For instance - Google-up "Juneau fishing guides" and you will find a number of businesses willing to answer your questions. Decide what you want to catch - King salmon or halibut. (The timing isn't great for halibut in early June but there will be some available.) Make sure they know how much time you have in town. Ask if you will get transportation to the boat and back to the ship; ask if you will get a chance to see whales or other animals up close. If you wish to keep your catch - the more reputable operations can make arrangements to have your fish processed and shipped (usually FedEx) wherever you wish. These are important considerations and will make a difference in how your trip is handled.

You will have both wild and hatchery King salmon available at the time you arrive in Juneau. A number of Juneau charter fishing operations can have a van pick you up at the ship and deliver you to the Harbor where your charter operation would be waiting. Auke Bay is centrally-located and for King fishing the closest areas are within 2 miles. If your luck is good you can be out on the grounds in no time and may be back at the dock with your catch and a big smile on your face in 2-3 hours. Best of luck.

In ketchikan the charter boats have a contract with the cruse lines. they will book your trip for you. the charter boats are right there at the same dock as the ships. i dont know many of the guides any more but one of the best and been giding for over 20 years is Eddy lucus. i dont know if you can request a guide but if you can i would go with him.

Default KTN

I guided in Ketchikan last year for this excursion company. They can be reserved through the cruise lines. However, this year the owner is contracting upgraded halibut and salmon fishing using leased guides and their bigger boats.

If you are going with family, their "Fishing & Wilderness Dining" excursion is pretty neat.