Thread: 8mm Rem Mag

Default 8mm Rem Mag

Hello all,

New to the forum, and seeking a little advice on my recently purchased NIB 98' REM 700, 8mm rem mag. I intend to reload for this gun and would like to hear any of your fav. loads. I'm thinking 220 gr A-frames or 200 gr Barnes XXX's. Plan on using this gun/load for moose and interior grizz, possibly black bear. I would prefer to use the same load for everything. Which bullet would/do you use, and what type of performance?

Thanks, CZ

that is a fine cal. and a both bullet chioces are top notch. the barnes are a bit less expensive, both are gonna treat you right. it might be worth looking at cost and availability on the bullets to swing your vote.

Default The Big Eight....

CZ,

You're definately on the right track. Either bullet will bring out the best in the big 8. That is a very under rated caliber. It is one of the best reach out and hit hard calibers. It just never caught on. Since the 1980's when it was introduced i think Remington has sold a total of about a dozen rifles, well 13 now with yours. :-) Good luck with it, I think it is a good choice for an all around rifle.

BTW Welcome to the forum.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default 8mm Mag

Have been shooting one since it first came out in 78 or so. Now have 3-one converted to 9.3 the other two standard Rem 8 mag. Before going too overboard on components, try working up a load with 200 gr Nosler partition and 78-83 grs 483l. Have a friend in Mt. who took most of the plains game in Africa with this load. It also is sufficent for any bear or moose. Just as a side note, we use it in the bean/cotton field in the Ms river delta with a 150 gr
    speer loaded to 3500 fps with IMR-4350. Good shooting--if BDL stock is slightly naughty on the shoulder, a cheap Ramline will fix that. Have been shooting a Ramline on one of mine since '85 without any problem--a good price for a useable stock and the new ones even have a recoil pad and don't
    make as much noise in the brush.

Default 8mm

I started using one when I was 12! Awesome rifle. I have taken everything in Alaska with it minus the bison and muskox. I am pretty much a barnes guy. Load those 200 grain and use them for everything. I can show you some barnes that I recovered from moose. Perfect flowers. Total penetration and bulging on the hide on the opposite side. Great rifle, just didn't become popular. I replaced the wood stock with a composite from Remington. Much better than the ram-line, as I broke that.

Thanks for the info! I am in the market for a syn. stock for it but I don't want to spend a ton of money on it. Have looked at hogue, ram-line and a few others. Would like to keep cost below $300.

northway, what powder are you using with those barnes?

bwhite, I'll try those part's. also

Thanx, CZ