Thread: transom hieght

Smile transom hieght

If you were building a boat and wanted to run both prop and jet,what would you want for a transom hieght, long shaft prop requires 20'' jet requires about 26''....do i go with the extra long shaft prop and stay with a 26'' transom???????? whats my best and of course cheapest way.....no hydralic or lifts of any kind....thank in advance....

Exclamation

Well I have a jet skiff with a jet tunnel and run both a prop and a jet. It has a 20" transom. Originally the motor was a short shaft and with the pump it was perfect ... but with a prop it was too short . If you could find a motor with a 5" inch extension (read removable) then your problems would be solved. I couldn't find one for my motor so now I have a long shaft motor (20") with a manual transom jack ($200). You raise it up to put the jet on and lower it for the prop.

It takes me about 45 minutes to crank the motor up/down and swap lower units.

1) unbolt pump foot
    2) undo pump bucket cable
    3) unbolt impeller
    4) unbolt pump housing
    5) unbolt pump adaptor from outboard
    5) bolt up prop lower unit
    6) connect prop shift lever
    7) raise outboard (a lot of manual ratcheting 10 minutes minimum)
    8) and you're off again... whew

Sobie2

I would have to say you have to base it on the jet and get a long enough shaft on the prop unit to submerge the prop. Kinda defeats the purpose of the jet to shove it way down there.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my post... The jet unit is taller than the prop unit. So you ought to build your transom at 20" for a factory jet (which is a short shaft motor) and then try to find a motor and 5" spacer and prop lower unit.

Sobie2