Thread: RMK loading up

Default RMK loading up

I have an 03 RMK 800 and it loads up (starts to flood) when I'm trail riding at sea level with very light throttle. Wide open across the lakes it runs fine and at Turnagain it runs fine all the time. I was told that I could move the slide needle to cure this problem. Will this correct the problem or would I have to start readjusting everything else on the carb.?

My 700RMK was doing the same thing this year so I dropped the needle one clip position (clip moved up one position on the needle) last night to see if that cleared it up. In the garage, the throttle response was considerably better, but it also wasn't completely warmed up either.

I think I can get away with one clip position without it effecting jetting and whatnot. We'll see.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thanks! I'll give that a try. We'll find out if it works on the Group Ride!!!!!

Here's a good overview of carbs for you to read.

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/m...018579,00.html

Default Its running fat

Your machine is running rich and you may need to change your main jet down one size. I ride a 99 700. They come factory I believe with 180' s if so drop one size and leave the clip where it is. Then you have to be careful getting to high and to cold. To lean will burn a hole in your cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by trapperbob View Post
    Your machine is running rich and you may need to change your main jet down one size. I ride a 99 700. They come factory I believe with 180' s if so drop one size and leave the clip where it is. Then you have to be careful getting to high and to cold. To lean will burn a hole in your cylinder.
    Nope. The problem is in the low rpm jetting. The good news with reducing pilot jets is that if you won't burn your motor down from being lean at 1/4 throttle. You may have to jockey your choke until the motor warms up. It'll be snappy at the bottom, though.

Here's another good tech article to read.

http://www.startinglineproducts.com/...fm?articleID=6

Default Loading up

Look to the mains on the sled. I still own a 02 800rmk that had a similiar problem the sled would bog in warm wheather. My 02 came with 520 mains. I now run 430 as the standard and less late in the year. I have exhaust guages so I am able to watch it close. I discovered mine had a bad mid-range lean that a new set of needles fixed well.

You have to watch th 430's in cold wheather but otherwise it is throttle to the bar. I'd go to the dealer and get a jet chart and goe from there remembering that the factory errors on the high side.