Thread: 2006 Kawi Brute Force 650 4x4i

Default 2006 Kawi Brute Force 650 4x4i

Just bought this ATV with snow plow, winch setup, heated grips and I am loving it. Tons of power and great ride. Anybody had any issues with their's? Trying not to learn the hard way about any unforseen quirks (they all have few). Any reccomendations for winterization fluids, modifications (usually kept in garage).

Also need to get a ATV class completed for insurance reduction and riding on post. Anybody know where to get this certification and when the classes start up or ATV club points of contact. Thanks in advance.

There is one thing to keep in mind with the belt driven kawi's. If you are seriously stuck pull out the winch, that is what it is there for. If you are heavy handed when it comes to the throttle in a binded situation will be replacing belts and cv's fast. Also engage 4x4 either at a dead stop or very slow roll. The 4x4 needs wheel rotation to engage, I usually engage 4x4 at a slow roll. Disengage 4x4 at a dead stop every time. Sometimes the front diff will pop when the 4x4 disengages, thats normal.

The vtwins are cold blooded beasts so I started using synthetic oils and I have noticed easier starts in extremely cold temps.

Mods....I could go on all day but I will keep it simple. Kawi hindered the lower power curve for safety reasons. If you are plowing you may desire that extra umph at low speeds. The Moose module takes only seconds to install and elminates the hindered timing. For $100 you cannot go wrong.

If you plow a lot and have added larger aftermarket tires I would invest in a clutch kit. Something like the EPI super duty clutch kit would be a great compromise. The kits come with two springs and four weights and its a pain to install. I would let the dealers take care of that for you. I only installed two weights, it keeps the stall to a minimal and has a much smoother engagement.

I'll definitely defer to WG for the mods and mechanicals! :-)
    As far as the classes - keep on your dealer to get you scheduled with the SVIA class.
    The Alaska ATV Club is working on being able to offer classes but they would not be certified at this point. We hope to get training offered this summer but can't promise anything right now.
    The Base Safety office might be able to schedule some SVIA classes, I don't know if they have any instructors or not right now. You might want to talk to them about "line of duty determinations" just to cover yourself.
    The ATV Club's web site is www.alaskaatvclub.org, come on out to a meeting.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Echo View Post
    The ATV Club's web site is www.alaskaatvclub.org, come on out to a meeting.
    Mike

masterblaster,
    Welcome to the world of ATVing. It is a great way to spend your leisure time in Alaska. Great scenery and the people are awesome too.

Unless you want to ride the same trail(s) over and over. Attend a meeting.

Laters,
    Mike

Thanks for the info. Where is the best place ( low $) to get tires and which do you recommend in the 6-8 ply variation?

Mike thanks for the invite. I go to to website and check it out and probably see ya a meeting if they are in Fairbanks.

Not up there yet but if someone wants to open an "Interior Chapter" let me know!
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.