Thread: 33 days away

Default 33 days away

PCSing to Eielson AFB. I leave my current station (Scott AFB, 30 minutes outside St. Louis) on 23April. Then I'll be on 14 days of leave in the Chicago area before the 3,611 mile drive up. I'm soooo excited. Also I'm authorized 11 days of travel. Considering that I'll be coming after break up and before construction (May10-21) I'm hoping that I can make it in about 6-7 days so that I can get some leave back. Leave is ever so precious when you are planning a June11 wedding!

Anyways just introducing myself.

Welcome to this wonderful forum. From chicago area you should have no problem with 7 days (unless late storm in the Rockys). One time I was leaving Iowa coming back north in mid-late april and got as far as South Dakota near the Misouri river when the road was closed going west. Never saw a snow flake where I was but the Black Hills got like 5 ft dumped on it. I was camped on the river for 5 days before they would let us go west. I just fished every day and had Walleyes for dinner every night. I usally take 7 days back to northern Iowa. It is a much easier trip than it used to be, other then fuel cost. Good luck! Watch out for lots of animals on the road in northern BC and do make the laird hot springs stop for sure.

Power Drifter,

I'm making the drive up from Western Iowa at the end of September, what route did you take after you passed through the Black Hills? Any suggestions, tips for coming from that direction? Thanks.

Bgarcher

What town in Iowa? I grew up about 35 miles north of Fort dodge.
    I normally would just go on out to montana how ever you want. I have done south and north Dakota. Both different from one another. Pick one you haven't seen. Over the many years that Ive been gone, I have been almost every way possible. I wouldn't just go north thru Minn in to Canada done it and nice to see but the least amount of time thru Canada the Better. I only say that as their gas is so much more. I would just head for Great falls Montana and go north from there onto Calgary and Edmonton then on to the Alcan . If you have a little bit of time and if you haven't been thru Jasper and Banff It would be well worth it. Its kind of not really out of your way but it's not as fast as thru Calgary. Some of the most beautiful part of the Rockys. Really a must see area. Well worth the extra 1-2 days. I like to take my time when traveling and enjoy the moment. I got to drive thru that area about 1.5 years ago. It had been 30 years before that I had been thru so you never know when you will be back some where so enjoy the way. Many wonderful things to see and do on the way. The one I always tell people that they have to do, is stop at Laird hot springs for a great soak and rest. Really nice camping sites. You maybe ahead of the crowds but as you get closer and know about when you might be there call ahead and they will hold spots. and It for sure fills up. If your not camping there is a nice lodge just across the Alcan road. Enjoy the drive. Its easy to do just don't hurry and watch for Animals. O one more thing if you don't have the mile post yet get one at the book store. It's the travel bible of the north. Tells you whats happening every mile by mile. Good read at night as you go along.

I just read your post again. Thought you where coming soon. All the same info but you will be behind the crowds. Sept is a great time to drive it. still good weather. If you fish I'd be checking it out along the way as that is the best time to fish all year. Winter will be coming so feed them some flys.

Power Drifter,

Thank you very much for the information!

I will be driving up from Onawa, Iowa which is about 35 miles straight south of Sioux City. I've lived in the Black Hills for a few years and have spent a lot of time in Great Falls with family so I plan on using that route as I'm very familiar with the drive. After going through Great Falls, I will be heading Northwest and hitting Glacier National Park before I cross over into Canada via Lethbridge and heading Northwest from there. I'm projected to have about 10 days to travel from Iowa to Fairbanks so I will take advantage of the scenic opportunities as much as possible. I will also have a fly rod packed in the trailer so I will keep my eye open for a few calm pools!

Again, thank you very much for the information!

Bgarcher