Thread: will a 454 casull shoot .454 gc bullets

Default will a 454 casull shoot .454 gc bullets

i aquired 3 boxes of bullets from t.rex in homer and they measure .454 diameter and are gas checked. will these work in my ruger alaskan and puma 92 454 casull? one reloader said they would work great but when i look up load data i only see .452 dia. bullets. i have one of each 265, 360 and 370 grain. has anyone used these that could share some load info using either h-110 or w-296 which i have already. thanks.

Probably not. Depending on the gun and how tight the chamber throats are. (That is the muzzle end of the cylinder.) If you cannot push the bullet through the cylinder and out the front with hand pressure, then they probably will not load fully in the cylinder when loaded into a cartridge. Use a wooden dowel to push them through. Some guns will have cylinder throats large enough to allow the use of .454" bullets. If you shoot them, accuracy may suffer because the throats can deform the bullet as it passes through.

The correct size hard cast bullet for the 454 Casull is generally .452" or equal to groove diameter plus up to .001" larger. The throats should be cut no more than .001 larger than the bullet, .0005" is better. If the barrel is .453" and the throats are .452", the throats need to be recut.

If groove diameter is .452", throats should be .4525" to .4530" and bullets should be .4520" to .4525". So to answer your question; probably not.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy answered your questions regarding the handgun. I'll add a little regarding the Puma 454. I have one and when I slugged the bore I found it to be .452. I just got a 275gr mould that drops .454 boolits, and has 2 large lube grooves. I'll be experimenting with it in the levergun. I may have to size them down to .453. Out of curiosity, are the gas checks on those .454?

You may be able to size them down. You can get a .452 Lee sizer die that goes in your press for like 15 bucks. I've sized hundreds of boolits with one this winter. I've read that you can open up the .452 die to .453 with just a dowel and some 400grit sand paper also.

So, I say all that to say this. Slug the bore in the Puma. If it's .452, get a .452 lee sizer die, open it up to .453, re-size the boolits and voila! The first thing I'd do though is seat and crimp some of those boolits as dummie rounds (no powder or primers) and see if they will cycle in the Puma. Bullet profile and OAL is crucial in the Puma. I think I explained all that in another thread.

Have fun with that levergun!

to slug my barrels, can i just use one of my lead bullets and drive it through my barrels? i have some plain base cowboy bullets i could use. how hard is it to push through? tap with a mallet or push by hand.
    snyd,
    the bullets are gas checked and i don't have a resizer yet but am looking into getting set up to cast my own bullets. looking around to try to find someone with some used equipment to make the initial investment a little easier on the ol' pocket book! i'll probably just get rid of these bullets instead of trying to modify a sizer die just to shoot these and buy some with the correct size. thanks for the info though.
    murphy,
    you are also a wealth of info. thanks for all of your help also. i am curious on my barrel sizes and will check as soon as i can.

make sure it's soft/pure lead, oil the bore and tap it through. I posted this in another thread. I hammered/tapped the egg sinker into the bore and then used a shotgun cleaning rod.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I just slugged my Redhawk 45 Colt again and my Puma 454 levergun with a 20" barrell. I had used a round ball previously but I don't think it was quite big enough. I used an egg shaped sinker with the hole running lengthwise this time and it was perfect for these 45's. I oiled up the bore and hammered/tapped them through with a shotgun cleaning rod wrapped with tape every few inches. Here are a few pics. You can see the round ball barely has the rifling on it.

Getting ready...

Redhawk 4inch barrel 45 Colt. .451 bore

Puma 92 454 Casull 20 inch barrel .452 bore

Those will size down nicely to 452 or 453 depending on your actual bore size. The Lee push through works very well and is not expensive. The gas check will not be a problem as it will size down as well. Just make up some dummies to make sure they will feed in the Puma before messing with sizing them.