Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: King rods and reels?

Default King rods and reels?

Well many have help with the tackle box question so I thought that I would pose the question for rods and reels. For river fishing kings what do you prefer and why. How much do you need to spend on a proper set up? How many do you carry with you? I need something for myself and something for my daughter. I would think that it would be best to have a spinner for her. I was thinking that for 2 people that I would want to have a regular rod and reel for small things, 2 medium to heavy and one heavy. How long do you prefer? What would be the reasoning for spinner or bait casters in regards to kings. Where can I find the best deals? As always, any and all input would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by tboehm; 03-20-2010 at 20:40. Reason: missed something

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Well many have help with the tackle box question so I thought that I would pose the question for rods and reels. For river fishing kings what do you prefer and why. How much do you need to spend on a proper set up? How many do you carry with you? I need something for myself and something for my daughter. I would think that it would be best to have a spinner for her. I was thinking that for 2 people that I would want to have a regular rod and reel for small things, 2 medium to heavy and one heavy. How long do you prefer? What would be the reasoning for spinner or bait casters in regards to kings. Where can I find the best deals? As always, any and all input would be greatly appreciated.
    I'd recommend that you use a heavy or med-heavy action 8.5' Lamiglass rod. Are you proficient with baitcasters? If so, this would be the preferred setup, especially since you'll be using it on the river. You'd be able to ride the line out down the current and fish more area for each cast made. I usually only bring one rod, but on occasion will have a backup reel in my tackle box. This is just in case I get a bird nest from hell or have a monster unspool me. This has yet to happen, hence the reason I don't always carry the backup. I personally use a Shimano Cardiff reel on my king setup, which has provided me with years of faithful service. If you fish #6 vibrax in moderate current, you'll most likely do well. I know everyone seems to have their own preference, but I swear that the kings hit two colors of vibrax more than others. Use pink ones on cloudy/overcast days, and blue ones on bright days. Best of luck!

P.S. Best deals on rod and reel combos can be found anywhere from Fred Meyer's to Sportsmans Warehouse to B&J's. You just have to catch the right sale at the right time. I scored a screaming deal on my 8.5' heavy-action Lamiglas at Freddy's when the clearanced off a bunch of them years back. Think I got it for $65 or $70! Wish I would've picked up two...

Ugly sticks, thats all you need. had the same one (6'6" one piece striper stick baitcaster model) for 6 years now and have caught hundreds of kings on it (including the one in the signature pic). my reel is an abu garcia ambassador 5500 series baitcaster (kindof a piece of crap sometimes, i have to keep a ziplock bag full of spare parts), always spooled with 40lb maxima chameleon line. my other favorites are the ugly stick lite ( 1 piece 6'6") and the tiger stick ( 8'6" medium heavy 2 piece baitcaster) they have a lifetime warranty i think too. they are relatively inexpensive, have excellent sensitivity, and are just durable as can be.

the first rod I mentioned is my "thrashin stick", i have trashed the thing every season all season, thru brush and rough terrain (and used it for a walking stick to get up steep hills), and i havent even busted an eye or anything.

Release Lake Trout

Ditto on the Ugly Stik! For Salmon they are hard to beat. They are as tough as nails and are a great value. For the money you just cant beat them.

Default More help

Come on guys, I need a little more help and suggestions with this. I can't believe that there are not more opinions on this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Come on guys, I need a little more help and suggestions with this. I can't believe that there are not more opinions on this matter.
    Thats cause when Hunt&FishAK mentioned uglysticks we all agreed. I'd take that to the bank
    w/ one exception....I'm not a baitcaster guy, I go w/ a coffee grinder, w/ a couple spares because after a hog they're shrapnel

All but one of my salmon rods are Ugly Sticks with Abu Gargia Ambassader 6500's. I really like ugly sticks and Ambassader 6500 combination. Bot a smoking deal at Soldotna Hardware a few years ago on them. I also have a few cheap Fred Meyer cheapie Spin Cast Rods I use when I do alot of casting on the Deshka when its open. The Lamiglas Kenia King with Ambasseder 7000 is my personal salmon road. Its a little spendy, but I didn't buy it, my son bought it for me for a fathers day present 3 years ago.

I hate ugly sticks. They're ugly, heavy, and bend funny. If you want a cheap broom-stick rod, go for it though.

I'm personally fond of Lamiglas baitcasters. The certified pro models are very nice. I like the mag-taper models. Quick tip, plus a lot of backbone.
    Nice Marmot.

yea i must say there are no actual "king" reels out there for rivers....theyll all fall apart if you use them enough on kings....ive had 50lbers just strip my gears and drags right out lol.....very tough to find a good durable reel....i find the best option is bring a bag of spare parts for whatever reel you happen to own....very easy to go garage saling and find all kinds of old reels and stuff like that....

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Skookumchuck View Post
    I hate ugly sticks. They're ugly, heavy, and bend funny. If you want a cheap broom-stick rod, go for it though.

well sir, while i dont agree with you what you say, ill defend to the death your right to say it! while Lamiglass is nice, they are above my pay rate and i dont like em much anyway

the last "fancypants" baitcaster setup i bought, was a 8'6" abu garcia rod with a nice abu garcia reel, it was $80 so i was like uh ok i guess. I take it out fishin for offshore fish in homer....i dropped my line down to the bottom (30foot) with a 1ounce jig.....get a bite, jerk up to set the hook, and there is a sound like a gunshot, then i notice my brand new rod is broken into 4 pieces.....boy was i mad....took it back to the store and demanded my money back, and yea ive stuck to the ugly sticks since then.

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    well sir, while i dont agree with you what you say, ill defend to the death your right to say it! while Lamiglass is nice, they are above my pay rate and i dont like em much anyway

the last "fancypants" baitcaster setup i bought, was a 8'6" abu garcia rod with a nice abu garcia reel, it was $80 so i was like uh ok i guess. I take it out fishin for offshore fish in homer....i dropped my line down to the bottom (30foot) with a 1ounce jig.....get a bite, jerk up to set the hook, and there is a sound like a gunshot, then i notice my brand new rod is broken into 4 pieces.....boy was i mad....took it back to the store and demanded my money back, and yea ive stuck to the ugly sticks since then.
    That's whatcha get for using a drift rod for bottom fishing I guess

Abu rods = junk. the reels are decent though, but don't expect 'em to last forever.
    Nice Marmot.

yep....we were only catchin little pollock and sole.

Release Lake Trout

I catch more silvers, sockeyes, pinks, and chums than I do kings. So for my king combo; I don't have anything too fancy because it gets the least amount of use. Find a heavy rod and match it with a good reel that has a solid drag; I prefer baitcasters.

For me my rods and reels depend on the situation, in the boat I use a bait caster because they are better for trolling/back bouncing, I also am not a fan of ugly sticks but they are ok rods. I use St. Croix’s and fish eagle II with Abu Garcia 5500 and revos because they are known for having one of the best drags but I do have to get new drags put in to the reels every season. Bank fishing I like to use spinning rods, same brads as before but with a shimono Sahara reel. In the boat a 6'6" to 7" rod is much easier to handle and on the bank a 7" to 8'6" is perfect. In the end what you like to use is going to be the best choice but as a die hard I use the best equipment that I can get. Hope this helps and good luck in you fishing adventure

Default ww griggs baitcaster rod...

check out the ww griggs.

the rod is great - i own the heavyweight and love it...if memory serves me they are around 50-60 bucks.

Or if you want to treat yourself get the medium heavy gl2...awesome rod!

Quote Originally Posted by flying ties View Post
    check out the ww griggs.

the rod is great - i own the heavyweight and love it...if memory serves me they are around 50-60 bucks.

Or if you want to treat yourself get the medium heavy gl2...awesome rod!
    I have used my buddies gl3 steelhead fishing and loved it
    whats the difference between a gl2 and a gl3, anybody know?

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    whats the difference between a gl2 and a gl3, anybody know?
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...d.php?t=125857

The gl2 is their entry level rod with the gl3 the next step up.

ditto on the GLoomis, can't go wrong with any thing they make. reels, I prefer the shimano calcutta either 200 (silver) or 250 (gold). they don't make them any more but you can find them on ebay. that is where I bought my last two and haven't had any problems. I would highly recommend going with a baitcaster as opposed to spinning, you want as little drag and friction on that line as possible and you get that with a baitcaster, no 90 degree angle as the line comes out of the reel. only get a few chances at kings and want to have as much in your favor as possible. this is also highly dependent on what your budget is, this kind of gear is a little spendy but is going to last. I've been fishing the same set ups for years, just change the line out.

My personal favorite for Kings is the G Loomis rod and a Shimano Calcutta 400B. It's a fair amount of money. A pretty good alternative is the Lamiglas Kenai King rod with an Ambassadeur 7000 reel. The Lami and 7000 work forever, it seems.

Default boat or bank, technique, budget

Brownclown is on the right track. I think you should consider whether you will be fishing from the bank, or boat, or how much of each. What do you plan to do? What technique do you plan to employ mostly? I'd be reluctant to make a recommendation for a specific rod and reel until you narrowed it down some.

Then you should look at what you're willing to spend.

After that, you'll be able to get a more accurate picture of what will work for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast