Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 329PD vs 629

Default 329PD vs 629

Just wondering what your preference would be. I have a 329PD and thinking of going to 629. Just wondering if anyone has really compared the two. Weight should be that much different, but does the extra weight of the 4" 629 really help with recoil that much?

YEP........

Default It does help

and while there are some who say a follow-up shot is a lucky thing with a charging bear, the extra weight makes for a little bit more time for a second shot.
    Actually, I'd take a 4" Redhawk over the 629, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    and while there are some who say a follow-up shot is a lucky thing with a charging bear, the extra weight makes for a little bit more time for a second shot.
    Actually, I'd take a 4" Redhawk over the 629, but that's just me.
    I actually have a WWG Wolverine custom super redhawk in .454/.45 Colt. I like the 329, but it's so light. I'm starting to 2nd guess it. Probably being too paranoid.

Default Shooting both today

I was shooting both my 629 and my 329 PD today.

There is a world of difference in shooting the two with any load. I can comfortably shoot a box full of hot loads through the 629 where a cylinder full is plenty in the 329.

Biggest difference though it that the 329 PD is light enough to drop in your pocket where the 629 requires a holster. Odds are I'm more likey to have the 329 PD with me when I need it than the 629. A 329 in the hand is worth a lot more than a 629 or 500 back at camp or in the car.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

[QUOTE=roknjs;693301]I actually have a WWG Wolverine custom super redhawk in .454/.45 Colt. I like the 329, but it's so light. I'm starting to 2nd guess it. Probably being too paranoid.[/QUOTE

Do you have a pic of the wolverine? I don't think the weight of the 329 has to do with how much it recoils, as it is the metal used=flexes and slaps the hand.

Default It is the weight!

Trust me- the recoil of the 329 PD is due to the weight. The alloy frame is actually pretty stiff but nothing could flex enough to cause the nasty recoil - flexing usually results in less felt recoil like the plastic frame Glocks etc.

[QUOTE=akrstabout;693316]
    Quote Originally Posted by roknjs View Post
    I actually have a WWG Wolverine custom super redhawk in .454/.45 Colt. I like the 329, but it's so light. I'm starting to 2nd guess it. Probably being too paranoid.[/QUOTE

Do you have a pic of the wolverine? I don't think the weight of the 329 has to do with how much it recoils, as it is the metal used=flexes and slaps the hand.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default To make it more comfortable to shoot? More accurate?

Just wondering what your preference would be. I have a 329PD and thinking of going to 629. Just wondering if anyone has really compared the two. Weight should be that much different, but does the extra weight of the 4" 629 really help with recoil that much?
    To me, the first question would be, how is the recoil an issue? New (SW500, Pachmayer) grips or MagnaPorting should make either more comfortable to shoot. I think the 329 is a fine revolver for its purpose. Hiker (?) has one MagnaPorted, which seemed like an excellent modification to improve the 329's shootability. Next to the 329, I thought the 629's weight and recoil were noticably better. I never considered shooting a smaller caliber. Then once I considered a little more weight, I thought it made sense to consider Redhawks too.

My priorities shifted I guess. While the 329 is a terrific carry in the woods, gradually I wanted more. My problem with recoil was the effect on accuracy (I know, "duh"). Having a 329 for an event up close and personal is fine but for me 329 performance faded as the paces to targets grew. I started looking at weight, barrel length and "shootability"(link follows) of similar (.44 mainly) revolvers. In another good thread this winter, there was a good discussion about best ways to carry heavier revolvers (link follows). Then I also considered which were the strongest frames.

A few specs on several revolvers:
    S&W: 329PD 26oz (now $1,300 with HiViz sights)
    S&W: 629 41oz and 45.5oz for the 4", 5" bbls at $1,000-$1,100
    Redhawks: 47oz, 49oz for the 4", 5.5" bbls listing for $890

Here are the links:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=67444
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=72109

Good luck.
    Last edited by 6XLeech; 03-20-2010 at 23:37. Reason: Add photo

Default WWG Wolverine

Only thing I don't really like about this gun is the front sight.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Biggest difference though it that the 329 PD is light enough to drop in your pocket where the 629 requires a holster. Odds are I'm more likey to have the 329 PD with me when I need it than the 629. A 329 in the hand is worth a lot more than a 629 or 500 back at camp or in the car.
    I'm SURE. You might even FORGET your 329 PD is there.

If a BAR gets after you, I hope you REMEMBER in time.

Look at it this way.... "A 629 you KNOW you have with you is worth a lot more than a 329 PD, you have to feel around for".

However, I do have a FIX. Clip one of those Flashing Red LED lights to your pocket.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Good application for bear bell?

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    ...However, I do have a FIX. Clip one of those Flashing Red LED lights to your pocket. Smitty of the North

Also, agree what tvfinak said: "... A 329 in the hand is worth a lot more than a 629 or 500 back at camp or in the car."

A fishing buddy used to leave his N-frame .357 behind often because of the weight. Of course, we did fine without it, but when I decided to buy a revolver to carry, weight was the main consideration. In that application, the 329 was ideal. Hey, I could carry two pretty much for the weight of a Redhawk...which would make them easier to find I guess....

The 329 has some very good SPECIFIC uses. I own one and think they are great for the guy who hikes a lot of steep country, although the 329 is not fun to shoot with "business" loads in it. If I'm interested in plinking, I dont take a 329 and my 329 sees little use any way as when I hike or ride a horse, I normally carry a very early production 500 Linebaugh that has been with me for over 20 years. I live/hunt/recreate in some pretty grizzly infested country and I simply like the power of the 500 linbaugh when proper ammo is used. If I'm on a horse, I normally have a Marlin 45-70 or 50 AK in a scabbard too.

Default WWG Wolverine

What does the Wolverine cost?

I actually have a WWG Wolverine custom super redhawk in .454/.45 Colt. I like the 329, but it's so light. I'm starting to 2nd guess it. Probably being too paranoid.

Go figure I just got a 329pd, and now I see that Wolverine. That thing looks sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    What does the Wolverine cost?
    I think around $1400 if you don't have the gun. I had the gun already and paid around $700 for the custom work. That included the action work.

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Hiker (?) has one MagnaPorted, which seemed like an excellent modification to improve the 329's shootability. .

Not me - my 329PD is pure stock. Brownbear and Rick have Magnaported and have posted good reports here on the Magnaporting.

-hiker
    "Happiness is a warm gun - bang bang, shoot shoot!"
    -Lennon/McCartney

Default Wolverine Cost

Thanks - I was curious and didn't have any idea as to the $$$ involved.

$1400 sounds like some major money for a Ruger! That puts you into S&W Performance center semi-custom prices. Of course S&W does not fill the gap between the .44 and the X frame where the .454 fits. Like many I had always hoped for a N+ framed gun to handle the .454 class cartridges.

The one I saw at the range - perhaps yours? - still didn't have as nice an action as my stock 629 Classic.

I think around $1400 if you don't have the gun. I had the gun already and paid around $700 for the custom work. That included the action work.

if you shoot the 329 The trouble starts when you shoot both side X side. You don't really like the 329 after you shoot the 629. I know I did the same thing while using the same target. It was because of this that I got a his and hers 340 PD. Yes the recoil is brutal not as crazy as the 329. You have to keep in mind what these pistols are intended for. For what they are meant to do the 340 PD is perfect. Never ever shoot the 340 with out a glove on the hand that holds the pistol. Your thumb will get bloody other wise. Did you know that the 329 under went and early factory recall?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Check this out:
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...-1&isFirearm=Y

Not sure if they hit the streets yet but may order one under than military discount program and see if it comes in.
    Tennessee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast