Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phone book test #2 .22/.44/45-70/30-06

Post Phone book test #2 .22/.44/45-70/30-06

Well here we go ,nice day on friday so I made it a 3 day weekend! here is 2 shots of the 30-06... and i will ad that the .224/06 i could not figer out what it did( looks like another test is in line) 1st up is a ..combine tec,barnes,speer. nozler...all 168gr BUT the speer is 165gr that i had onhand i did not pic the "before" 180gr fed classic that has been a round that i have used for years (but stuck him in the "porformance pic")
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Post 2nd entry..

here is the low down, there is another pic/angle i will take ....and i think u will feel the same! and run off to buy , so before i posted this ..i got what i could find...

Post 3rd entry..

Here is some .22 shells one is a CB cap,a short ,a regular fed bulk pak hp, a stinger and a AE.45 ball ...........sec pic: are the .22's & the 2 shots on the left are a 400gr speer and the 325 lip stick round..

Post entry 4

Here is a .44 fed HS. (my home defence round/ your welcome come on in) and .240gr fed AE , and what they did......along with the 265gr .44 horaday and the .270gr spreer...i traced the 265 thur the pile- but it apeers to have "rubbed off" on the way thur. the ball ae .45 is standing tall....

Post 5th entry

the pic's of the "used rounds" are below...one of the rounds/shot at the same angel ran out the bottem (350 speer) and that was the "thickest" / dense part of the wet phone books...and the one a wanted to see as that is "my round"i will lower mya mount of rounds fired to make it ...easier to fine .. i shot both ends of the box and that made it A bit of A ....as a few of the rounds were deep enought to "pass" another.. no rounds hit each other.. what u see is what happn'ed

Post Last...yea rite...

The pic's of the "used rounds" are below, along with the box I shot/ one end of it.....one of the rounds/shot at the same angle ran out the bottem (350 speer/4570) and that was the "thickest" / dense part of the wet phone books 2 ..and was the one a wanted to see again as that is "my round"!!!! I will lower my amount of rounds fired to make it ...easier to fine .. i shot both ends of the box and that made it A bit of ....as a few of the rounds were deep enought to "pass" one another.. no rounds hit each other.. what u see is what happn'ed it is also the 1st time i seen the 325gr LS, round do this godd ....not like it's team mate the .265gr .44...

Great info, I have some of those sexy lipstick bullets myself and plan on trying them out next week. From the looks of that recovered bullet, you would think that they would preform well on game.

Thanks for the effort.

Steve

Default I don't believe

I don't believe that there's a nicer more classically performing bullet than that Barnes!

Default How Deep?

What kind of depth were you getting out of the 325 vs the pet load?
    Did the jacket stay on?
    I have a whole stack of phone books just waiting for my gun to get back with a new trigger and lever - gotta check them sites again!
    I also can't wait for a couple boxes of the new win 375gn loads if they ever get out to play with...

Post The bullets that did not do as good as they should of:

I wrote the inchs /how deep (bottom#'s) this is a pic of what i don't like to see....the 400gr speer sp,is starting to exit the casing the nosler 168gr..what a "pos'...the last one the 180gr classic bullet did not have much of it (lead) left,and that sorry looking/whats left of it, .44 265gr in the other pic......

Default I see!

I am with ya now... The 325 looks pretty good in that test?
    Perhaps it has to do with the section your shooting?
    Like construction pages for cements, drywall etc are tougher -
    Foods, ice creams etc are softer? LOL

I am thinking about putting a 2 x 12 about 3in in to mimick bone - I will post when I get my test stuff done....
    I wonder what the % is of bullets shot at game vs cardboard must be?
    At least we don't have to clean all them phone book critters!!!

Default Addt. point.

I used a Speer Hotcorr on my moose this year. Both shots luckily passed right between ribs, one through the heart, one through the lungs about eight inches behind that. If I'd struck bone, I don't think that bullet would have done so well. It performed exactly like you've shown. The front half of the bullet was gone, the rest was starting to come apart and stopped just inside the skin on the other side. It did the job, but I know for a fact that it might have killed if I hit bone, but I have no confidence in it. I'm not one of those guys who'll say it must be good because I killed a moose with it. I think I got away with it, not did well with it.

I'm switching to Barnes TSX for any game from now on.

The center 45-70 bullet in post #6 is my best load/the one i shoot it went out the bottem well pass the other 2 45-70 bullets.... i well try another book test again soon...the 350gr speer runs (temp outside) 400 feet per sec faster...

Default Welcome Sir!

Yes, I believe the 4570 is a fun gun for sure but it has its limits. I posted a Ontario moose hunt this morning under the Out & About section of this great Forum and we were carrying 300WM with 180 gn Nosler Partitions. They performed very well and I likely would not have had my moose had I been toting my 4570 due to the range I had to shoot - 264 yards in a strong cross wind.
    I had some 200 gn Nosler Partitions laying around and loaded them up for a fall moose hunt this year - plan on taking the 4570 but if they are not responding to calling it won't take me long to grab the 300WM!
    I should have no worries however, as I was approached by an old moose hunter and for only $500 he sold me this secrete moose hunting hat! I shouldn't really show it off as I know you guys will be jealous but its just such a rare treasure I hate to keep it to myself!

You reload the "accelerator" rounds?
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default Hey Marv

You talking about the Hornady Leveloution 325's?
    If so, I have not. The 4570 has been one round I have not bought dies for - didn't think I would have so much fun shooting it so just staying with factory loads so far.
    Getting a nice pile of shiny brass though!

Quote Originally Posted by MARV1 View Post
    You reload the "accelerator" rounds?
    no i have a couple boxes left over from the last time "they" said they were going to ban them........I have yet to have a rifle that shots them, .224/30-06 rounds well ....a 3-4 inch group @ a 100yds from a rest, just don't cut it.

The 30-06 bullets penetrated 50%+ than the 45/70 rounds?

Default Barnes TSX

Thanks for the info. It looks like I am getting some barnes bullets for the '06. Was that a nosler partion shot in the '06 comparison? I USED to shoot those for everything.

Post yup, but the "paper wound channels" were differnt...

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    The 30-06 bullets penetrated 50%+ than the 45/70 rounds?
    the 2 45/70 rounds I recovered were @ 9 and 9.5 the ,06' varys from 13...to the barnes "big16"... the 350gr round 45/70 "left the box at 11" something ..and as far as i know its still going.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast