Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: BOF Meeting Prop 200

  1. #1
    Member Jackson's Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Soldotna, AK
    Posts
    100

    Default BOF Meeting Prop 200

    Hello All, just a heads up that the BOF meeting finished up public testimony early and have started the board deliberations on Prop 200 (subsistence way of life definition). If anyone wants to listen in here is the link.

    http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/fishinfo/index.php

    Cheers,
    Jay
    “The mountains are calling and I must go.” - John Muir

    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

  2. #2
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    End of 1st day at BOF mtg. The board voted 6-0 to approve and pass proposal
    #200 as written.

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  3. #3
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Seems they didn't have much choice in the matter. The Judge laid things out as clearly as possible in his decision. Not much wiggle room there. On to 201 in the am after an hour dedicated to "town hall" style public comments. One way or another, this should be done by noon tomorrow!

  4. #4
    Member thewhop2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,366

    Default 201----

    The vote was 0-6. 201 did not pass. What is our world coming too. Now they will apply it to the BOG and game management. Just shacking my head
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

  5. #5
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Default gracious in victory

    Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    The vote was 0-6. 201 did not pass. What is our world coming too. Now they will apply it to the BOG and game management. Just shacking my head
    My friend, I promise Alaskan families are going to have no problem filling their freezers just as they have been. I don't wanna sound smug, I just want you to know there is an assault on industry in this state especially the mom and pop coastal fisheries. It was just appalling to me that a certain gear group could hide under the guise of subsistence and not have to share in the burden of conservation during shortages...It reminds me of someone playing the race card to get preference ( I didn't say its like it, I just said it reminds me of that mentality)
    I now can get off this subject and get back to enjoying this site and the great people I'm meeting. Don't be sad whop you are a positive and reasonable man and asset to your cause.

  6. #6
    Member Jackson's Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Soldotna, AK
    Posts
    100

    Question

    Hey wop2000,

    I followed the discussion all day on the computer, can you clarify for me exactly what the decision was? My understanding was that a positive vote would have changed it from a PU fishery to a subsitence fishery, correct? And if it was a subsistence fishery then in times of low returns then the commfish/sportfish groups would have been limited before the subsistence harvest would have been curtailed? So if it is a PU fishery then in times of low returns they can shut down the PU fishery to protect the commfishery?

    I am just wondering if someone can lay it out in laymans terms, you seem like you know a lot and have much invested in this (hence your signature). Also, how do you think this is going to be applied to the BOG? I have nothing invested here since I do not dipnet (but would like to some day), just want to know what is going on.

    Appreciate the help,
    Jay
    “The mountains are calling and I must go.” - John Muir

    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

  7. #7
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Default

    Jay personal, use sport and comfish are equally responsible for conservation.....no special rights the way it should be. The BOF has spoken, guaranteed there'll be a lawsuit tomorrow. thats right these elitest from Fairbanks are going to cost Alaskans more money

  8. #8
    Member thewhop2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,366

    Default Fullbush, I'm not sad

    I'm just afraid this vote will carry further and farther than either one of us can even imagine. I have no "cause", only an effect. There is a difference.
    I am friends with many Comfishers from Cordova. I can see where they were fighting to keep the lions share of the copper river fishery. What I am concerned about is all the Villages and AHTNA fighting this Not for fish, but for a lions share of all the resources down the road. If we start splitting communities by their share of the resouce, God help us.
    That is the crux of my opinion.
    Next thing we will doing is checking I.D.'s to see where you live, to see if you are allowed to be doing it. On the Wasilla flats and you are an Anchorage resident, sorry, you have to be from the area, to hunt Moose, go go home when the resources get thin.
    By law, all Alaskan residents are subsistence users but with findings like this, We all lose. It sets a precedence. My humble opinion only.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

  9. #9
    Member Jackson's Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Soldotna, AK
    Posts
    100

    Default Yeah well...

    this is the US, if you smush a bug someone is going to get a lawyer involved. Maybe regulating the amount of discharge from law schools would help out our society immensely but it aint gonna happen. Sucks though.

    Anyway, so as it stands now, it is a PU fishery like the other dipnet fishery's (kenai etc.) so if there is a low return Everyone gets cut back? Is that correct?
    “The mountains are calling and I must go.” - John Muir

    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

  10. #10
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    I'm just afraid this vote will carry further and farther than either one of us can even imagine. I have no "cause", only an effect. There is a difference.
    I am friends with many Comfishers from Cordova. I can see where they were fighting to keep the lions share of the copper river fishery. What I am concerned about is all the Villages and AHTNA fighting this Not for fish, but for a lions share of all the resources down the road. If we start splitting communities by their share of the resouce, God help us.
    That is the crux of my opinion.
    Next thing we will doing is checking I.D.'s to see where you live, to see if you are allowed to be doing it. On the Wasilla flats and you are an Anchorage resident, sorry, you have to be from the area, to hunt Moose, go go home when the resources get thin.
    By law, all Alaskan residents are subsistence users but with findings like this, We all lose. It sets a precedence. My humble opinion only.
    sir I respect your opinion. its all a slippery slope, no doubt, the whole word subsistence is scary. w/ the feds breathing down our throats, the natives crying sovereignty its really alarming, which is precisely why I have been saying DO NOT KICK A SLEEPING DOG! The system we've had might be flawed but it works. Every time this comes up every body loses.

  11. #11
    Member thewhop2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,366

    Default Jackson's dad.

    I'm known around Wasilla as Rosa's Dad. I know where you are coming from!!
    You hit it right on the head. In times of shortage, if you qualify for subsistence above the copper river bridge, you can take up to 500 kings per season. Below the bridge, you can be cut out from retaining any fish. Last year, Dipnetters were restricted from keeping any Kings but commercial and Subsistence were allowed any they caught, that includes sportsfishing too.
    So now we have a certain fishery with less rights than other fisheries. You can come up with some examples that don't match up but this is what it is in a nutshell.
    I'm more concerned with the precedence this sets for future fights. Enough said. Thewhop
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

  12. #12
    Member Jackson's Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Soldotna, AK
    Posts
    100

    Default Mr.The Wop

    Thanks for the explanation!
    “The mountains are calling and I must go.” - John Muir

    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

  13. #13
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    I'm known around Wasilla as Rosa's Dad. I know where you are coming from!!
    You hit it right on the head. In times of shortage, if you qualify for subsistence above the copper river bridge, you can take up to 500 kings per season. Below the bridge, you can be cut out from retaining any fish. Last year, Dipnetters were restricted from keeping any Kings but commercial and Subsistence were allowed any they caught, that includes sportsfishing too.
    So now we have a certain fishery with less rights than other fisheries. You can come up with some examples that don't match up but this is what it is in a nutshell.
    I'm more concerned with the precedence this sets for future fights. Enough said. Thewhop
    comeon whop we were cut back and shut down we had inside closures, and we hardly caught a dang king... we more than sacrificed believe me.....now ck your inbox

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •