Thread: A moosy day for me!

Default A moosy day for me!

So today i had a hell of a scare. Please allow me to share it with you all, its long but i think youll enjoy it.

Woke up this morning to a beautiful day and decided to do some hikin around up south of mchugh creek. Started up a trail, and then picked my own route up a cliff.....gettin up there now, great view......climb another 100 feet, then work my way along a timbered ridge.....hmm lots of moose sign here, doesnt look to fresh.....senses heightened to alert status.....scale the top of the ridge near a big spruce and....just stop.....somethings wrong......turn to the right, slowly....a mature bull moose is face to face with me......dont run....back away and get behind this big spruce, and talk your way out of this situation....wish i had a sidearm, wish i hadnt sold that .44 blackhawk dangit....bull snorts, he is 5 feet away and the only thing between us is some bark and twigs that he could easily out-manuever me around....ok hes looking slightly relaxed, ears up and forward, eyes watching and evaluating me: Friend or Foe?....nows a good time to begin backing away except he is blockin my back trail and i have to go the other way which leads to i dont know where....backin away, nice and slow and sweet talkin to him, 15 feet, almost safe zone, 20 feet....In the blink of an eye 1200+ lbs of bigger than life moose explodes towards me, no time, no where to go except down a 50 foot or so cliff about 5 steps to my rear left, so i took it.....he was almost on top of me and i started ske-daddlin down (yes ske-daddlin is the proper term here), almost at the bottom and my boot toe catches a nice root, i barrel roll a little and eat ****. get up, check the bones (a few deep cuts and scratches on my arms), get a bearing....im out of danger for now, but my legs are rubber and my heart is trying to escape as the adrenaline rushes through my body, its almost overwhelming...now i have to figure out how to get back to my truck...sounds simple enough as my truck is less than a 1/2 mile away....only problem is the 500 foot sheer cliff separating me from it......im lookin down at the highway as i make my way along the cliff, tryin to find a safe access route that will take me down, all the while keepin my eyes peeled for different perils such as indians, ghosts, hungry bears and especially angry grudge holding moose.30 minutes later I am still looking for a way down....Finally I see what might be a trail along the side of the mountain....I hit that and 10 minutes later I find a trail sign that reads " Rainbow Creek trail, you are here", Mchugh Parking lot is 1.5 miles up the trail. okay thats a start.....25 minutes later after climbing down a side trail ending up in a water filled hollow at a bend on the highway I finally feel relaxed, the sun is shining and its just another day in Alaska!

Release Lake Trout

Default No Bull!

Jake your not gonna need those tire's if'n ya let a mean ole moose stomp ya in the mud son!
    I'd just hopped on and rode him back to the truck!

Default Its so easy even a Gal can do it!

Here ya go !
    Attached Images Attached Images

haha nice way to get yourself killed.....I was stomped by a moose 2 years ago while working snow removal late at nite.... unknowingly got between a cow with a calf as i was walkin from a set a stairs to the plow truck, she hit me quicker than sin, knocked me down and gave me a good jumpin on but luckily i was able to roll under the truck after a second, she stamped around alittle more and then they trotted off......had to make 21 trips to the chiropractor for that one (workmans comp was nice to have).....that was just not a fun experience.

Man I hate moose sometimes. Seems like they just appear out of nowhere....Sneaky SOB's

Release Lake Trout

Good reminder to always pack extra underwear when heading into the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by TMCKEE View Post
    Good reminder to always pack extra underwear when heading into the woods.

yep...Ill tell ya something though.....I hope someone puts that bull in the freezer this year! Hes gonna be a big one for sure, already got 10" of bone growin

Release Lake Trout

Comical story with a happy ending! Thanks for sharing that. Very happy that it was heart-pounding and not heart-wrenching.

I topped out up there one time in the bed of a full-curl ram. While he was in it. Distance of about 5 yards and he didn't give one rat's azz about me being there. That was before they opened that tag down Turnagain.

Thanks again for sharing.

Taylor

Default lol...

****, i wish i had that much fun on my early spring hikes thanks for sharin...sounds like it coulda turned alot worse...least it was a bull, they're a little more sensible than those **** cows.