Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping meat

Default Shipping meat

I have a friend coming from Michigan to hunt this year. If sucessful, what is the best (cheapest) method of shipping his meat home? Does anyone have any experience w/ this?

Default probably

it will still be to ship on the plane with him as excess baggage.
    Gary

Default I concur

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    it will still be to ship on the plane with him as excess baggage.
    Gary
    This will be the cheapest and quickest way to get the meat home (provided that the airlines doesn't loose it). I think the only exception would be if you had some kind of inside connection with Fed Ex or something.

Default shoukd have asked

if his friend was flying or driving up.
    if flying, excess baggage is cheapest (though not nearly as cheap as it was a few years ago).
    If he's driving, then he should bring a trailer with a chest freezer strapped to it. plug in the freezer overnight (wherever he stops) & he'd be good to go.
    Gary

Default Shipping meat

He is flying up. I figured excess baggage would be the way to get it back. I guess that seems to be the best route for him to take. Thanks.

Default Cargo Air might be an option too

Shipping via Alaska Cargo Airlines might be a cost-effective solution as well. Here is the link to their website:
    http://www.alaskaair.com/cargo/

The issue/pre-planning that must occur is becoming a "known-shipper"--takes some time and a bit of cost to work thru this process--the website has all the details.

But if you travel to/from the state a lot of have a lot of family members that come visit then you(the Alaska resident) might want to become the known shipper and send them fish/game.

Many times going the excess luggage route will be the better option and you are more assured that all your game meat/fish will be arriving with you at your destination but being a "known shipper" or having a family member/friend in Alaska who is a "known shipper" can provide you with additional options/flexibility.

For example--- let's say that you harvest an animal or some fish and want to get them processed at a local vendor (made into sausage, smoked, etc.) that prevents you from carrying the stuff home with you when it is time to leave Alaska. That is where your friend/family-member living in Alaska who is a "known-shipper" can still help you out by picking up the meat when it is ready and shipping it to you via your local airport.

If you search thru the threads, especially on the fishing forum you will find that many people use cargo air and find it very effective--the nice thing about Alaska Cargo Airlines is that they have steadily dropped their shipping rates as the fuel cost has decreased as well.

I would recommend you research this option as well.
    Hope this helps a bit.

I waited about 7 or 8 months last year waiting for my known shipper to be approved. I still didnt have it when the time for my trip to AK came up and I basically gave up...

If he wants to apply for known shipper status do it NOW....Ken

Default Excess Baggage

I've been to Alaska for hunting trips on 13 occasions (so far). While not as cheap as earlier, excess baggage is still the way I take meat home.

Newbies always ask about safety but , so far, the meat has always made it home with me (and fish as well). Sometimesw my antlers/gear have gone to strange places but the meat/fish has always made it safely.

As far as thawing, the hold of an airplane is quite cold on the way home.

I often come home from Kodiak. The fees for shipping are not cheap from Kodiak. Maybe from Anchorage.

Default Shippin

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I've been to Alaska for hunting trips on 13 occasions (so far). While not as cheap as earlier, excess baggage is still the way I take meat home.

Newbies always ask about safety but , so far, the meat has always made it home with me (and fish as well). Sometimesw my antlers/gear have gone to strange places but the meat/fish has always made it safely.

As far as thawing, the hold of an airplane is quite cold on the way home.

I often come home from Kodiak. The fees for shipping are not cheap from Kodiak. Maybe from Anchorage.
    Phil, been to Alaska and shipped meat home twice. Both times circumstances forced us to ship from the processor and it was expensive. But the meat was deboned and frozen before shipping and it arrived still frozen, by UPS. Do you use coolers to bring home on the plane with you? Also one time the small commuter plane from Kenai to Anchorage wouldn't take my moose horns. Have you had trouble with shipping your horns from Kodiak? Thanks, Mark

Default when I was

still taking meat back to PA (as excess baggage), we just made sure it was WELL COOLED & shipped it in waxed "fish boxes". The meat was inside a contractor's bag, inside the box.
    In 1991 I shipped 9 boxes (weight limit of 70 #'s) of moose meat and it all arrived in good shape.
    AK AIR CARGO - my experience - in 2004 they left 300 #'s of deer meat sit on the ramp in Kodiak for 4 days. Meat arrived in ANC ready for the dumpster. I was a known shipper and repeat customer and received $0.10/lb compensation.
    Gary

Wow, suprised you got any compensation - everytime I've sent meat in cargo it's "shipper risk", aka "give us some money and hope for the best"..

Greenbrier, send me a pm and I can put you in touch with some one with an alternate plan that may work for you depending on dates.

My brother comes up about every second year. He mails his clothes, etc USPS back and forth and then uses his baggage allowance for two or three boxes of meat. Takes his optics, etc as a carry on. But then he borrows one of my rifles, sleeping bag, etc.

Default now that I think about

there's a guy on the Pristine Ventures board that's exploing the possibility of bringing a refrigerated semi up & back this fall - think he's from WI.
    check it out.
    Gary

That would be me. The idea to haul moose/bou meat from Anchorage to the lower 48 (west and midwest) in my refridgerated tractor trailer is in the works. Right now I am trying to get a feel if there is enough demand for this service, assuming the price will be cheaper to get a whole moose home using my trailer vs paying to get 650 pounds of meat/antlers on your airline flight.

I do know that will NOT haul the following - No firearms, ammo, alcohol, tobacco, drugs, gas, propane, isso, or any other hazardous goods. No plants, potatos, or fresh fruit. No parts of wolf, brown/black/Polar bears, sandhill crane, walrus, whale, sea otter, or even yellow bellied stump humper monkeys!

I can get 4 wheelers, boats, snowmachines, ATVs etc in this trailer. Anyone shipping antlers would NOT need to split them! Returning from Alaska, the trailer temperature would be set at frozen. US fish and wildlife service form Number 3-177 and Alaska transfer of possesion form would accompany the shipment

This is the 3rd board I've put this up on, so right now I am just trying to gauge the interest in this service. I've had a few guys who may want in, but perhaps this is slighly premature, as the draw winners has yet to be announced.

The only potential snag I am trying to iron out is finding cold storage in ANC for the 2-3 week period of hunters returning to town after their hunt in later Sept. The meat needs to be accumulated at a central point before it gets loaded onto my trailer. Everts air will not do this, as their space is very limited.

I am close to implementng the rate package, but it is dependent on the demand. There more who want in, the cheaper I can make it. I do know I will be cheaper than the airlines, provided I can fill the trailer. Plus if you buy a non-res wolf tag (in GMUs where needed) I will deduct the cost of your tag - $30

If anyone has any ideas or interest, please post, I'm all ears.

Default PM sent to 379 Peterbuilt

Please check your pm. Thank you

Default 379 Pete

Quote Originally Posted by 379 Peterbilt View Post

The only potential snag I am trying to iron out is finding cold storage in ANC for the 2-3 week period of hunters returning to town after their hunt in later Sept. The meat needs to be accumulated at a central point before it gets loaded onto my trailer. Everts air will not do this, as their space is very limited.

have you tried contacting any of the meat processors in the area? They might even be able to get you some more meat to haul. How about any of the trucking companies - some of them must have frozen lockers.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    if his friend was flying or driving up.
    if flying, excess baggage is cheapest (though not nearly as cheap as it was a few years ago).
    If he's driving, then he should bring a trailer with a chest freezer strapped to it. plug in the freezer overnight (wherever he stops) & he'd be good to go.
    Gary
    I know his friend is flying...in any case, I like the freezer idea but I don't think Canada would allow transporting meat through the country (unless you got it there). They even made me throw my apples out once. As far as the tractor trailer idea....would they allow meat not USDA certified to go through? I don't know...just something to think about.
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

Default a friend of mine

took a freezer load of meat back to NB with him a few years ago. meat transport rules (country to country - or state to state) are different. It would be worth looking into for anyone that was driving up to hunt.
    Gary

Default To bill S (and others)

Have someone at your local USPS (post office) check the regulations about mailing a long gun. It was legal for me as late as August 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUX View Post
    but I don't think Canada would allow transporting meat through the country (unless you got it there). They even made me throw my apples out once.
    I called Canadian customs at the border on the Alcan. They told me that hauling moose/bou meat through Canada is no problem whatsoever, provided that US fish and wildlife service form Number 3-177 accompanys the shipment. Upon the truck entering Canada, Canadian customs seals the trailer, then the seal is to remain intact untill the truck re-enters the states. As for having to toss out your apples, yeah that's just the way Canada is, and why in my above post I listed fresh fruit, among other petty items I could not haul.

Moose and 'bou meat, as stated, is not a problem through Ca, and I have all the paperwork, including the transfer of poss forms. Hunters drive the Alcan every year with Alaskan killed moose, usually with pickup trucks and small utility trailers. They are subject to the same paperwork as I would be. (USF&W form 3-177 and AK transfer of poss form)

My truck and trailer
    Last edited by 379 Peterbilt; 03-24-2010 at 03:51. Reason: Attach picture

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast