Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spinning reel recommendation?

Default Spinning reel recommendation?

Looking for a good quality spinning reel. Mostly for saltwater use. From rockfish to kings to maybe the occasional ling. Am tired of using cheap reels that don't last long. Budget is $100-$200.

I would be interested in knowing what reels you have had bad luck with. I agree with your thoughts, I also believe there are a lot of cheap reels out there today.

Default Penn

I have enjoyed this brand of quality reel for years. From ultra-light to heavy, they have spin fishing down to an art. All reels have extra bobbins that you can purchase, thereby allowing you to switch line tensile strength on the same reel.

I have used Penns for over twenty years...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Penn is my choice as well. Got 4 of them two years back for surf fishing in NC and on Nantucket. Fantastic reels with a legendary reputation. One caution, avoid the graphite crap. They look like the "real" Penns, but they are not as good. I had one that the bail would flip while I was casting and it would lock the line. Using 5-6 ounce weights and 50 lb mono for a shock leader, this will almost take the rod out of your hands. Piece of shet. I replaced it with a metal spinfisher and soon after bought three more. Got two on 9 footers and two on 13 footers. Get the metal spinfisher and take care of it, keep it clean, oil it, wipe it dry, etc... Your can count on these reels.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...380&hasJS=true

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Another vote for the Penn Reels - I have several of them in varying sizes. Have only had one that had a problem and when we sent it to Penn for repair they sent me a newer model for replacement. I have caught everything from grayling to halibut on the reels. They are also made in the USA.

penn reels..........
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Check out the Fin Nor OFS reels. they are tanks! I used one last summer in AK for Halibut. never caught anything huge but the reel could have done it. The reels are heavy duty and then some. Well worth checking them out. I bought an OFS95 and its HUGE.

Another one for Penn reels.

I own a Penn 450 Slammer and a 750ssm. Each one was under $100 on ebay.

I use the 750 for surf fishing so I dunk it in fresh water after every outing and clean it out once a month if Im fishing a lot.

I read of some guys who use the 950ss for tuna fishing.

Another for Penn.. I have used em for 30+ years and never had a problem..
    With that said try to find American made reel, they are getting hard to come by these days.
    i would not bother with the ones being made over seas for the last couple of years, they are no where near as good as the American made..

Sound like Penn is the hands-down favorite and I'll look into them. I have several Penn Senator reels that have worked well for the most part. After doing some online research, it appears that most or all of the Penn spinning reels are now made in China. Maybe the same goes for Penn's non-spinning reels, too. That's a shame.

Make sure it has a metal handle (not plastic) and DOES NOT Flex. It will play havoc when you have bigger fish on.....

Default Reels

I have a couple of nearly new Penn 8500ss I'm willing to part with. They run 150 new I'll sell them for 90.00 a piece. They're very strong reels, I caught a couple of kings river fishing last year using one, pulled them in no problem. They're just too big for the kind of fishing I usually do. Contact me at garry_ut_43@ yahoo.com If you're interested.

Penns are the way to go They are easy to service yourself, minimal parts, basic straight forward, easy to use reels. For the money I don't think you can go wrong! The only thing I don't like about them is you have to flip the bail with your hand. They don't automatically close when you reel. Maybe the Van Staal or new Accurates do, but for $1000, I can flip the bail for a lifetime. I have the SSGs for fresh water salmon fishing, but would lean toward the SSM for halibut action. More metal might help.

I stand corrected - only part of the Penns are made in the USA now. I emailed Penn and here is the response -

"Currently about 30 reels are made in the USA ( Philadelphia ), including All Internationals and Torque’s, also including the soon to be Torque spinning reels. Also made in USA are the GS series, 525mag, 320LD, 330LD and all the GLD reels. Also 115L and 116L Senators. Everything else is made overseas. Let me know if you have any more questions"

Van Staal or Zeebass, i know a few guys that have them, bombproof reels, but quite SPENDY.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Van Staal around $700. Yikes.

For your price range...Penn SS series or the Pflueger Medalist/President models.
    The big Penns (750/850) have a boss on the upper support to smack the bail closed which increases the reliability tremendously...the smaller versions break their bail springs under hard use.
    The Pfluegers (Medalists) I use now are top-notch for the money. I just spooled a 60 series with 325 yrds of 55lb braid and use it for everything unless I`m hanging monster bait or 2lbs of weight. Everyone I fish with has switched to medium heavy spinning gear for the fact it is light, strong and fast....and just more fun.

Bought a Penn 750 ssm (all metal) at Fred Meyer for ninety something bucks today. On sale from $139 (same price as Cabelas). Sale good through March 30.

Default NOt only Penn...

but Fin-nor has gone overseas...well, some of the penns. but, that is not always meaning cheap or less performance. Economics ya know...some of the stuff made in China is great, but ALL of the stuff made in the USA is great!

Anyway, metal reels are the ticket, lots of models out there, but the graphite spinning reels will NOT hold up, they flex too much for big saltwater fish or most salmon, salt or fresh...

About the auto-bail flipping...winding the reel to get the bail to flip over is a great way to wear out a spinning reel, the good reels with either auto or manual flip///FLIP em manually, just takes a touch and avoid all that torque on the reel.

Those Penn reels are made so well, but they just don't have the smoothness winding as some others. Depends if you are casting all day or bait fishing...

The older Fin-nor Ahab spinning reels are all metal and are great, and they are on sale at several vendors right now, about 40% or more off, get one while you can!

Pflueger. Very smooth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast