Thread: Where to put the Airtronic heater combustion exhaust

Default Where to put the Airtronic heater combustion exhaust

I'm installing the heater and would like to get your opinions on the best place to put the exhaust.

Since the exhaust pipe can be up to 6 feet long I have three options, but they all have potential problems:

Option 1 - Through the side hull; instructions say to have a 6 inch incline inside the boat going down to the through-hull fitting just below the gunwale.
    -- Potential problem is I might still get water in the pipe if a wave slaps against the side of the boat, forcing it up the pipe.
    Anybody ever encounter this? This'd be my preferred location if water isn't really a worry.

Option 2 - Higher than option 1, I go out the side of the cabin as high as I can get.
    -- Potential problem is that the exhaust might swirl around the rear edge of the cabin and get trapped in the air "bubble" behind the cabin, stink up the fishing deck and may be a health hazard.

Option 3 - I go straight to the rear of the cabin and exhaust straight out to the fishing deck.
    -- Same potential problem as Option 2, only now I'm certainly going to get fumes in the air bubble.
    I dont know how stinky the exhaust is, or how much of a health hazard it might be. This isnt really an option at all unless everybody tells me it doesnt stink and isnt a hazard.

Thanks in advance!
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Default Heater Exhaust

Last year I installed a Webasto 3500 in my 25 ft Wooldridge and went with option #1. There is a "goose neck" above the point where it exhausts out the side and at the lowest point of the exhaust there is a stainless steel drain Tee valve. The whole exhaust is blanketed in an insulation sock. I've only got one season on the heater and didn't run into any really heavy seas with it. My plan though, if I do, is to shut down the heater and put a bilge drain plug in the hole. It's not the ideal situation but for a small boat like mine it makes sense.

With option #2 I think you would tend to get a lot of fumes in the cockpit. I could be wrong though. We burn only kerosene in our heater and do sometimes get to smell it in our cockpit but they really aren't too bad. Diesel would probably be a bit worse smelling.

Option #3 would not really work for our boat because it's a lot smaller and would have required too much slicing and dicing. Webasto recommends that the exhaust and intake lines be roughly the same length so I would have had to run both to the transom. I don't have room for that.

I can't send you pictures now because I'm on the slope for the next week. I can when I get home, if you'd like. Good luck

Dave

Default U or upside down P-trap

I used a up side down U so any water that did happen to slap the side of the boat could not pool up at the bottom like a P-trap. what I would do different is use the clam shell type cover on the outside.
    Some times no matter where the exhaust is you could smell it, no way to 100% avoid it depending on the wind direction. That little smell once in a while is way worth the comfort heat.
    To the fishing deck nope it does get hot enough to go S#%t!

Another vote for #1. Very little exhaust odor, if any, while running. The only time I ever smell it is upon start up. I have run in some ugly water and have had no issues with water in the pipe. You will not be disappointed with the espar.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I've got a Webasto installed in the engine compartment of my 30' SeaSport. The exhaust is on the port side of the transom, about 8-10 inches below the gunnel and about 6-8 inches inboard. No problem with fumes, and no problem with water getting into the exhaust.

I take it this isn't an option for you?

we have a Toyo and our exhaust goes straight up through the roof. I've never noticed andy issues with smell at all. Our wallace cook tops exhaust goes straight up as well.
    Boatless

option 1 it is, the upside down U is a good idea, I'll go up a good foot before going down to the through-hull.

The transom is too far away, and the space inside the transom has fuel lines, filters, etc - which the instructions say is a big no-no (in bold red letters)

The roof is too far away from the install location, I only get 6 feet of exhaust line.

Thanks guys

BTW, installing this thing is a PITA, its got a bunch of little fiddly bits, I had to make my own install plate to get it to fit in the gunwale.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Default I can sympathize ...

I had the same issues on my boat. I had to do a lot of custom stuff to shoehorn the heater under the sink. It was worth it though because we can be truly comfortable on the boat in all kinds of weather. No more driving with one hand on the wheel and the other running a squeegee! Dry clothes in the morning too! Enjoy.

Dave