Thread: Wind and Solor for 24/7 home

Big Lake

Default Wind and Solor for 24/7 home

Looking at going off grid with our next house in a year or so...but the information on wind and solar will blow a fuse in a mind like mine.
    Does anyone out there have a set up they they are running..we currently use a max of 6400 Kwh a year would be less with the new home though, it'll be considerably smaller.

Any rough price on what you've got into well it performs....what kinda battery bank your running when they aren't...just some basic simplified info for an idiot like myself. Something to get my mind started...
    Master guide 212

Default I have been living on solar for years

Been through several batteries , currently using 6 volt deep cycle in pairs
    they absorb energy well, and run about $100. ea.
    I have several solar pannels I have acquired through the years, some are over 30 years old. here not great but they work well enough. Don't settle for cheap pannels. Years ago I would have paid $100,an amp for used pannels , but new ones are getting more reasonable . Several tings to lok into though . lighting is a big issue , 12 volt floressent are very effecient, but LED lighting is getting better and better. I have some 6 volt LEDs that are sufficient for room lighting @ only .7 amps . they are slightly blue but my desk lamps with LEDs have a yellow filter I set up that makes it more pleasing.. The house is wired for both 6 and 12 volt dc and 110 and 220 ac. I have inverters for ac power , fortunately the lap tops are dc.
    Later I am going to a gas refridgerator in place of the electric and be even more effecient. During the winter months when the sun is low and th pannels are not working I have an alternaator driven with a small 5 hp Gas engine . I hope to have a wind mill some day but I have other projects ahead right now.
    My system is set up with a switching net work so that I can monitor each componant . using a 3 position switch on each componant I can tell which are working and which need help. water for batteries , washing for pannels . Because It is a battery system any charging source is a coutrobution , and a good voltage regulator system is important to prevent overcharging and boiling out the batteries.
    Oh and by the way, never take fuses for granted, provide them easily accessable easy to read and replace . If you are fallowing a book pay close attention to wire sizes , no kidding. fault to the larger size if you can . Have a good central point your battery bank is wired from if you can reducing line loss. Lead acid batteries do not like the cold and if they get electriclly drained and freeze they are done . You also don't want them near flame ( gas stoves or water heaters) Charging gasses are volitol . A simple system would be to create a closet for the sake of arguement , in a most interrior portion of the house . Run 2 pipes . One for venting gasses and the second for wire from the solar panels to the battery bank control pannel. Box in the batteries some what air tight but vent from below the floor if you can . I might add light ball of fibre glass to the ends of the vent pipes as well as using hard ware colth or screen material to keep the critters out. The fibre glass will act as a buffer zone in sevire cold weather, gasses will pass rite through. If I had the money I might use lithium Ion batteries instead and be done with it, and not have to worry about venting gasses. Good luck with your project .
    don't get over whelmed , leave your self extra room for what ever you are going to build .

Kodiak Is.

Default wind and solar

Hey Brwnbr
    At my place down on Kodiak I got 2 Air 403 marine wind generators from SW Energy and a couple solar panels hooked up to 4 8D 12v deep cycle batteries. I get about 80% of what we need for lights,tv and tools. I use a 2500w cheap inverter for power tools and such.

The wind generators are quite noisey when it blows hard. I think to do it over I would go with 24v or 48v wind so they could be further from the house with smaller wire.

You can also set up a heatsink to absorb surplus wind into hotwater or heat. These 403`s put out 900w at 45mph. I have had one of them up for 8 years and no problems yet. Lots of stuff on ebay look under "turbine". I paid about $700 for the 403 coarse if you got no wind it don`t turn.

The new 403X makes a little radio noise but the older version does`nt.

i was looking at the wind turbine set up for power along with the solar system ..

here is a tip also .

when running the wires and you have to go around a corner unit ..take a 90.dregree peice of pvc and run the wires through to keep them from rubbing on the corns ..the piece of pvc pipe only has to be a little bigger than the wires and it helps the wires from rubbin on the corners edges also ..

you can do the same thing for fresh water hose and black water hose set ups for the house ..

my friends when ask me about solar and off grid power system for there homes ..i take out the catalog that i use to show them the items they need along with the basic cost of building there off grid home ..they allways start with that cost a lot of money and they go out and try to do it the cheap way and it winds up costing them more for now they have to have the company that i said to go to in the first place come in and redone the system that they local handyman tried to install and messed up so bad that the items have to rewire and replaced because of the lack of thinking the whole thing through ....

also use the best wireing and in a larger size unit than you think your need along with good qualty items in the system

also make sure your inverter unit is also more than you need just in case you want to expand down the line

the unit is called the water miser safety vent for batties

Off the road system,AK

I'm an engineer/sales director for an alternative energy company on the Peninsula. Let me know if you have questions or are looking for a good deal on equipment. Feel free to PM me.

The alternative energy store across from Costco on Dimond is a good place to start. They have solar and wind products in stock along with inverters and batteries. They also do some nice pre-wired distribution panels. Solar will work really well for about three months a year and moderately well for another 3. For the 6 remaining months you'll need a lot of wind and/or a good generator to charge the batteries.

If you can capture some falling water you could have the best 24/7/365 off-grid system. Water turbines really work well if you have what it takes to push one. Quiet and reliable around the clock in any weather.

north pole ak

Default Off grid

I built our house last fall. We are 100% off grid. I have a 4500 watt pure sign inverter-charger, 20 L16 batteries, 10 kw generator, 2-135 watt solar panels. I am going to buy more solar panels soon. I have about $20,000 in my system. I run a deep well pump, a fridge, and lighting. If you are ever in salcha I would be happy to show you my system and share what I have learned. Or pm me if you want to talk on the phone.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush

There are a lot of little things, some already mentioned here, that it is good to think on before going off grid.

I have a vented battery room above our arctic entry, keeps the batteries warm in winter. They really don't like the cold, wouldn't advise putting them on the floor. Good to put them in several rubbermaid tubs as well so any acid spillage or bubbling doesn't get out.

You can go cheap with batteries if you live off a road, buy the cheaper large marine or RV deep cycle batteries from Sam's Club, or buy the better and much more expensive Trojans (L-16 type, 6 volt batteries you run in pairs) that last longer.

It's gonna help if you have some basic wiring and electrical knowledge. You'll need to first decide what kind of system you want to run, what voltage, whether or not you want to run all 12volt lighting, 110v AC lighting off inverter etc.

You're probably looking at ten grand minimum to get setup with a smaller system. We don't use as much power as you listed, mish mash of solar panels, L-16 batteries, standard commercial fuse box, Honda genny for winter (typically 7months we have to run genny, the other five solar), Trace inverter, a good 110volt to 12volt charger, compact fluorescents (12v) for lighting, various romex runs off inverter to 110volt receptacles to power AC devices...etc.

You will see various charts in the home power books that will help you, basic system and the wiring. Dude, you may have to learn Ohm's law...sorry <grin>.

As others have said, when you get around to things, if you have questions, feel free to write, glad to tell you some "shocking" stories of how not to do things!