Thread: Family Camping Spot

Default Family Camping Spot

I am currently planning our "Griswold Family Camping Trip" for this summer and need a few ideas. I have a 2 & 4 year old and would like a find a quiet place next to or on a lake where we can go canoeing and fishing. I'm willing to drive 3-4 hours out of Anchorage and North or South doesn't matter. We will be tent camping and would prefer a place with portajons and a fire pit.

Any ideas?

Hidden lake is a great place for little ones! We took our 2 YO and infant to Hidden Lake 4 different times for a total of a bit over 3 weeks. We'll be heading back this summer when we don't have enough time to head up north or down to Homer.

There are programs on the weekends for kids that my little guy enjoyed.

The hosts last year were awesome!

Have fun. Maybe we'll see you there.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default Nancy Lake Recreation area

Check out the Nancy lake Recreation area, specifically the South Rolly Lake campground. One of my favorites, but you'll need to get in to a site early.
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/aspunits...ollylkcamp.htm

I can't remember, is there a campground in Portage? I imagine the campground in Bird Creek is pretty crowded, say, around the time of the Girdwood Forest Fair. Realistically, we'll probably camp at friends at either Girdwood or Indian if we make it, just looking at options...Louis
    Louis Knapp

There is a campground or two in Portage.

Be mindful of the bugs at South Rolly. It's a cool place but the bugs ate my little ones last year.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

When the pinks are running, Hope, AK. can be fun, Note: the main camp ground will be closed this year.

RMK

Default Portage valley

Any of the state campgrounds are great. I give the federal ones, such as Portage pretty high marks also. They all have restrooms, fire pits, picnic tables, and many even have a pump to get water.

In Turnagain Pass, Bertha Creek and Granite Creek are nice. Black bear, and Beaver pond campgrounds are nice down at portage. The only thing to consider is when you're going. If it's during a fish run, the campgrounds closer to the rivers will be packed. (like Ninilchik, and Deep Creek)

The first four I mentioned are all within a 90 minute drive of Anchorage. They are more about camping. If you want to get on a lake, the earlier suggestions of Nancy Lake Rec area are winners.

Quote Originally Posted by senecanation View Post
    I am currently planning our "Griswold Family Camping Trip" for this summer and need a few ideas. I have a 2 & 4 year old and would like a find a quiet place next to or on a lake where we can go canoeing and fishing. I'm willing to drive 3-4 hours out of Anchorage and North or South doesn't matter. We will be tent camping and would prefer a place with portajons and a fire pit.

Any ideas?
    Byers lake is really a peaceful alternative. It's north of Talkeetna. Its been years since we've been there but the campground was really nice and far enough off the beaten path that I'm pretty sure the rowdys and teen agers don't go there to party.

Default Camping spots

South of Anchorage:

Williwaw campground (Portage glacier) 1 hour depending on traffic - Nice quiet campground, nice trail system for walks and bikes. Walking (hiking) distance to Portage Glacier Visitor Center. Boat ride to glacier
    * Fire pit (FP)
    * Outhouse (OH)
    * Campground Host (CH)
    * Picnic tables (PT)

Quartz Creek Campground (Kenai Lake) 2 hours
    Well maintained campground right on Kenai Lake and Quartz creek. Walking distance to Sunshine Cafe, Wildman's (couple miles down road) has hot showers and laundry available. Easy day trip to Seward Sealife Center.
    * FP
    *OH and Flushing potties with hot running water (great for kiddos)
    * CH
    * PT

Trailriver Campground (Kenai Lake) 2.5 hours
    Closer to Seward, offers more nature inspired feel. Some sites on the lake. Some tent only spots. Off the beaten path, very quiet. 30 minutes or so from Seward
    * FP
    * OH
    * CH
    * PT

I agree with the previous post about Hidden Lake as well. They offer great kid focused nature education, Lake is great for kids, Not as cold as Kenai Lake.

RMK

Default good post "girlsfish2"

I worked for the U.S. Forest Service in the late 70s, and spent time working on every campground in the U.S. National Forest on the Kenai Penn. Darn if I could remember the names of them all.

I helped build the switchback trail with log barriers at the Russian River. Yikes. I could never hoist one of those logs now. It has been upgraded since then anyway.

You did a great job listing the available services and amenities.

Default Thanks

We have some of the greatest campgrounds ever up here. Most of our experience is south in the summer and North in the Winter. Now that we have such a big rig, it's hard to get into alot of our favorites. I actually am hoping that this year I can take pictures of every site at our favorites so I can post them for people to view before they reserve or go. I can tell you, just because the reservation system says it's a 84ft pull through, does not mean we can get our 40ft toyhauler in there, just because of approach or exit. We'll see if I can pull it off...big project, then I'm not sure where to post them once I get them. :-)

LOL - Another nice spot is north of Anchorage about 1.5 hours, about 30 minutes out of Wasilla
    Nancy Lake Recreation Site.
    Nice sites, off the beaten path. Great lake fishing for kids. Canoe rental from Tippie Canoe. Weather north is "usually" warmer than south...however, bugs are usually worse. Prepare accordingly.
    * OH
    * FP
    * PT
    * Trash Service

Default free rv parking mile 60 parks hwy

Free safe overnight rv parking and morning coffee ! Located at the gateway to alaska's world renown hunting,fishing and gold prospecting spots! Easy access location at mile 60 on the parks hwy willow-houston line. Free gold panning maps! Lots of room with picnic tables available and awesome view of mt. Susitna (sleeping lady)! Check out our view

Default I second Byers lake

It's very quiet on non holidays. The lake is calm, has some bare foot friendly gravel shores for the kids, and has canoe rentals. Due to the quiet there are plenty of critters in the area to amuse the kids too. There are plenty of campsites and 2 rec. cabins. There is a water pump at the front of the campground, plenty of clean outhouses, firepits, and food lockers too.

Folks fish in the lake but I've never heard of a good catch outside the creek below the Parks highway bridge. The lake is about 3 hours out of Anchorage at m147 of the Parks highway right near a veterans memorial and spectacular view of Mt. Mckinley.

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    There is a campground or two in Portage.

Be mindful of the bugs at South Rolly. It's a cool place but the bugs ate my little ones last year.
    Is it better in late July or mid August? My kids have environmental allergies and its best to avoid heavy bug areas. I know that sounds stupid, but the fewer bugs the better.

Tim