Thread: just something...

Default just something...

something i thought i'd share. i wrote this a couple years back...i remember distinctly that i was thinking about a recent(at the time) conversation with a non hunter on the topic of trophy hunting...and i was not very impressed with my performance in the defense of our great sport...i doubt now that i did too poorly, but i'm by nature a relatively quiet guy and not the best with the spoken word. especially when talking to illogical thinking people that have no concept of the immense good that trophy hunters do for our earths great game fields and the animals that inhabit them...so in other words i was kinda pissed with myself that i didnt have all these great reasons to give this person that they would consider "good reasons". i thought about it some more and got madder, and the conclusion was this little thing i wrote...and this...sometimes i just cant come up with a really good answer to stupid questions...and ya know what? i dont have to.

its not much but it was hangin out in my word perfect thingie and i thought i'd share.

Making No Apologies

Not long ago I was reading a popular predator hunting magazine and came across a catchy little hunter slogan that I really like. I’m not huge on bumpersticker slogans and don’t have them plastered all over my pickup…but I appreciate a witty phrase that says a lot, in a little space, just as much as the next guy with a sense of humor. This one went something like; “hunt hard, kill clean, make no apologies.” I dug that one big time, and have reffered back to it several times while thinking of hunting related topics lately.
    I am a licensed Alaska professional hunter (guide) and spend upwards of six months out of the year sleeping on hard ground in a tent living my lifelong dream. I’m sure theres lots of reasons guys and gals all over the world are drawn to hunt in our overly liberal, generally non-hunting society. I don’t know what they all are, but I do know mine. I know that it’s not choice persay, but more of a drive that I for one, know I was born with. It was never really a choice…I’ve been a hunter at heart since my earliest memories and have had a enormous yearning for all aspects of the hunt since boyhood. My mother tells me at the age of nine years old, I came to her (after watching Jeremiah Johnson) and said “I‘m gonna grow up and be a hunter-man”. And so I suppose my migration from privately owned, extremely tame Texas to the vast wild public game fields of Alaska to pursue my dreams of becoming a professional hunter came as no big shocker to the folks who knew me.
    That was five years ago. Since receiving my guides’ liscense from the state two arduous and frustrating (yet fascinating to a guy who grew up in flat land) years as a packer/apprentice, this will be my third year guiding my own clients for various outfitters throughout the state. Hunting has been such a drive in my life that I vowed from early on to find a way to make it my life’s work…hence my career choice.
    I guess what I’m getting at is this…no matter what your reasons for hunting, no matter what draws you to it, make no apologies for being an ethical, meat eating, trophy aquiring hunter, make no apologies. Whether you can justify it to others or not…make no apologies. We are humans, the dominant hunters/predators of our world. At different times in our history believe it or not, we have NOT been the dominant predators, but with modern technology and the wonders of the human mind, the invention of gunpowder makes us the worlds top predators. In a society that belittles hunters and labels us with ridiculous stereotypes, remember, we have no reason to justify or apologize for what we do. Truth be told, for some of us, there is no specific reason. I hunt, because I’m drawn to hunt. As my ancestors where, as their ancestors were…I hunt because I was born a hunter, and I feel right doing it. It’s no shame that killing is involved. We that eat meat should have to kill it. It’s part of the process. There’s an emotional bond to an animal you have killed for whatever ethical reason, and this is part of the hunt. Hunting without killing is merely searching, and a waste of energy serving no purpose. Aldo Luepold once said something to the effect: "One does not hunt to kill, but one must kill to have hunted." To hunt, we provide. Whether it’s nourishment, a trophy to admire for years to come, experience, or the challenge. It’s important to our heritage, our environment, our phsyche and our soul…we’re hunters for better or worse, no apologies or explanations needed.

Default Bravo!

Well said sir...

Well put! In my opinion you have the best job in the world, I would love to do what you do. I often have a hard time not getting completely pissed when talking to anti-hunters when defending hunting.

Default Yeah

yeah man, I agree,

Well Put

Know Who You Are, and just walk it out

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I think yer right, and I don't keer who knows it.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Thumbs up

That was very well put!

Default Nice

Ok, well said. Now get out there and drag a few folk across a AK for a few months, take some photos, and write down a story or two.

We'll need you next winter too.

Talking lol

allright allright, bighorse, i'll be out of you guys's hair in no time at all...and no offense, but gladly

take a bored hunter with nothin to go hunt in the late winter and he's liable to do just about anything to keep his mind from straying...at least enough to motivate him to stay in half way decent shape anyway this forum acts as just such a vice...and i kinda like it, in fact you may just see a few more posts before i take off...got lots of stuff in the microsoft word files...i always wrote a little, just never did anything with the stuff i wrote. now at least i got a perfect venue to see how bad other people think it stinks.

i always kinda wanted someone to read "making no apologies" a few years back when i wrote it, mainly because i was venting on paper and kinda pissed with myself and it woulda been nicer to hear a couple "yeah, i think so to" or "piss on them idiot anti's" but now i got you guys for that.

Well said! Now get out there and earn your $1.25 an hour! Pictures, lots of pictures.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Interesting.

Having spent the last night getting my ride working again, and then catching and working 3 Caribou this morning on my way home, Im tired.....Im looking at this 1/2 skinned Beaver wondering "Why??!!", but its almost done

I guess the answer is known by the Lynx that shot across the path after a fast Rabbit through the willows I was moving through.........ya, he would know, and he's still hunting ~~LOL!!~~

Im glad Im home..........
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Thumbs up

Excellent post and motto! Thank you for sharing it.

Ryan
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

Zach,

You Sir are the type of fellow that I like to share a camp fire with. Well said, won't be long until it will be time to hunt hard again....

Steve

...This is awesome!
    -true depth in your path....

-You should definitely consider compiling a book....so you can share these thoughts with other hunters who can definitely identify with you, but just can't get it out on paper....

-This is excellent stuff!
    ...I hope you post more of what you write....

-I particularly agree with what you said about a hunter having that bond with the animal in which he hunts.....
    -I have felt that....
    -and in addition, a bond with those animals in which I have wounded, or have not been able to recover....( those circumstances have weighed heavily on my mind; no matter what the animal)

-I've thankfully never wounded, or not-recovered a sheep, though...-

-hope you include more of your writings, before your season starts!.....
    -Thank you for posting!
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Default nice post

I like the thought and feeling behind the words... I agree with you and share the same intimate connection to the animals and "environment"... I also like the stance of make no apologies... with the personal caveat that one shouldn't do anything that would necessitate an "apology".. IE if the hunter sticks to the core beliefs you've spoken about you won't ever have to make an apology....

nicely put sir.

Greg