Thread: gun shy dog

Default gun shy dog

I have a german shep. I use to carry a dog pack trapping and hiking.
    very smart dog but goes berzerk when I fire a gun, any loud banging will set her off, she destroy's chain link fence. she's from a litter of my wifes show dogs. Her and her mom are the only two that do this.
    any info on how to cure this would be very much appreciated.

Well sir, you have a tough road ahead of you. It will take lots of time, thought, work, and a load of luck.

I'd suggest you seek out the services of a pro dog trainer. I really would.

The simple answer is that as you introduce your dog to noises you should make everything loads of fun. It's more complicated than that, but I really would seek professional hands-on help.

I'm beat from a full day of following my Brittanys all over the high country after ptarmigan today, so that's all I have to offer at the moment. I'm sorry.

Jim

There is no quick fix to this. It will take lots of patience and a gradual training program. This is highly engrained in her head as being a bad thing. When dogs are frightened they either take flight or go into fight mode. This is where a proper leader (pack leader) needs to educate a dog in how to behave in these situations. Correcting for bad behavior and rewarding only when the dog is exhibiting calm nature.

definatly understand the keeping it fun and patience part, have trained two other germans and a lab for carrying a pack. First time I've come across this behavior. believe you can train a smart dog for just about anything as long as you are patient.
    thank you for the info!