Thread: Burbot on a fly?

Default Burbot on a fly?

Has anyone caught or heard of a burbot being caught on a fly? I would think it's possable, if you used some sort of glow in the dark fly.

that would be very interesting.....never heard of it but i have found small birds, baby ducks, and mice in burbots stomach out of the susitna river

Release Lake Trout

Wow, I know burbot are fiesty and all but I never thought that they would eat a bird. I think I might tye some flies and try to catch one on my fly rod this year at copper lake. I would think fishing in the evening or early morning would be better times, I might tye something that glows.

I know where we fishm in the spring it's possible though I've never tried it. They are typically full of whitefish in the bigger fish. Might hit a shee in the process too...hmm, something to consider this spring. I dont fish them in the dark either, matter of fact, I cant think of one I've caught AFTER dark!

I catch most of the larger ones after dark, usually ice fishing with set lines. I catch most of the smaller ones later in the day. Can you think of any patterns that would work? Where do you fish?

Default yes

I caught one on a black wooly bugger once in big lake. Needless to say, but I was very surprised.

akb.....not sure why, but as much as everyone else is catching burbot after dark I must be doing something wrong, I've caught none!

Default burbot on a fly.............

Quote Originally Posted by akblood View Post
    Has anyone caught or heard of a burbot being caught on a fly? I would think it's possable, if you used some sort of glow in the dark fly.
    I am here in Michigan, but I was fishing the lower Au Sable river. I am 56 years old and just started Steelhead fishing in Nov. 09. I was trying for Steelhead in mid February 2010, I cast a chartruse fly into a deep hole, it about 10:30am. It felt like a had a bite, but then I thought I was snagged, then I got it coming my way.

Finaly I could see the dark looking what ever and it was moving like a rag in the current. I was expecting a Steelhead and at the time still thought I was snagged on tree debris. But I got it up a little higher and then could see my chartruse egg in the upper front, which I now know from pictures it was hooked in it's upper mouth. I still did not know what it was and it seemed to be just stopped in the current so instead of being paitent and waiting 10 or 15 minutes to see what is going to happen I tightened up the drag and tried to horse up what ever it was, which it appeared to be about 34 to 40 inches long.

I have not been back to that hole yet, I am 10 days into recovering from open herinia surgery, but in a few weeks I will be trying the chartruse eggs again down into that hole. This time if I can be as lucky, I will take my time and land it.

Caught one in the Big Sue on a conehead sculpin.

Default Burbot on Fly

I caught one while float tubing near Glenallen. Saw a surface disturbance and cast a griffins gnat to them. Turned out to be a flock of burbot!!!! Got one on the dry fly!!!!!

what body of water were you fishing in? I never thought a burbot would take a dry fly. That would be a pleasant surprise!

I imagine they will take anything they can get when hungry.

Release Lake Trout