Thread: Fly out pike in Early Aug.

Default Fly out pike in Early Aug.

I have my Father in law hooked on Pike fishing. He will be up here in Aug from the 4-12th. He would like an overnight trip and wants a chance at larger fish. We have done figure 8 , Lake Alexander. I'm fine doing un guided and actually prefer it.

Can any suggest a company place that offers over night trips unguided? A cabin would be nice but a tent is always a possiblity for shelter.

Thanks for any advice!
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

I think willow air has some cabins they fly people out to with a small boat and motor . Give them a call and see.

Default Thanks

I'll give them a call monday and find out.

Default rick gold

I'd recommend going with rick gold out of Fairbanks. $250 per person gets you a flight, 2 nights in a cabin and jon boat with 5 h.p. motor to go in. He can fly you out to several lakes around Fairbanks for pike and trout.

We have had a good time at Rick's place. The cabins have propane stoves and bunk beds and while not luxurious sure beat a tent.

His prices are cheap and the fishing can be very good. We had a lot of fun trolling top water frogs and running sub surface flash flies for visible strikes.

http://www.akpikefishing.com/
    Last edited by Armo_Ak; 03-20-2010 at 11:38. Reason: website

Rusts has cabins and boats on Alexander Lake
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Pike charter

Rick Gold out of fairbanks, he'll fly you into Minto flats where some of the largest pike in the state are at. He provides the cabins, boats with a 4 Hp motor, gas,water and cook stove. All you have to bring is your food, gear and tackle, sleeping bag and rain gear. he is located on the Pumphouse Road, he has two planes on floats. I did this trip several years ago, I'm sure he's still doing it, you will NOT be dissappointed.....

Oops .....sorry, I didn't see Armo's post.....but I do recommend this guy, if you go take a 8 or 9 weight fly rod, with pike flies....you'll have a blast.

Four of us went in his 185 on floats and we all caught and released so many pike we stopped counting....3 of the four us caught a 40" pike or bigger.

+1 for Rick Gold with Marina Air, Great guy and a fair deal. We have always caught nice fish.

Steve

Default Nice pictures

Makes me want to leave as soon as the ice opens up!

Anyone have any thoughts about going in early Aug?

As long as Rick is still doing the fly outs I'm going to book with him.

As far as I know Rick flies into September. Send him an email.
    This is his website.
    http://www.akpikefishing.com/

Steve

Default prime time

Early august is not prime time for pike. The water has warmed up and they are more lethargic. Ideally you would go after ice out or before re-freeze.

This is not to say fish will not be there in August or willing to bite it is more a comment on their general activity level. The places Rick goes have so many pike that no matter what the time frame you will probably get into some fish.