Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Right to Hunt?

Thumbs up Right to Hunt?

Perhaps this has been discussed before or belongs in the general discussion forum, but do you think we have the "right to hunt"? If you believe that we have a "right to hunt" should it be protected by legislation from other entities that want to stop hunting? In the last 15 years, "right to hunt" measures have passed in 9 states including Alabama, Minnesota, North Dakota, Virginia, Wisconsin, Louisiana, Montana, Georgia & Oklahoma, according to a report on foxnews. I would argue for & support legislation in Alaska protecting our right to hunt.

Default We have similar legislation pending in AZ

HCR 2008 - Constitutional Ammendment, Right to Hunt and Fish.
    http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Arch.../msg01572.html

Quote Originally Posted by Live2HuntAK View Post
    Perhaps this has been discussed before or belongs in the general discussion forum, but do you think we have the "right to hunt"? If you believe that we have a "right to hunt" should it be protected by legislation from other entities that want to stop hunting? In the last 15 years, "right to hunt" measures have passed in 9 states including Alabama, Minnesota, North Dakota, Virginia, Wisconsin, Louisiana, Montana, Georgia & Oklahoma, according to a report on foxnews. I would argue for & support legislation in Alaska protecting our right to hunt.

Absolutely!
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

I have remarked on this in the past and will add this at the moment as I am pressed for time.

It is a dire shame that anyone feels compelled to protect a human beings' innate right to hunt by way of legislation. If hunting ever becomes illegal, I will become an outlaw.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    I have remarked on this in the past and will add this at the moment as I am pressed for time.

It is a dire shame that anyone feels compelled to protect a human beings' innate right to hunt by way of legislation. If hunting ever becomes illegal, I will become an outlaw.
    I gotta' say AMEN to that sir!

Default Yes

Yep, I think it cannot hurt to pass legislation.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

This is a lot more difficult than folks make it out to be. If hunting is codified as a "right", then are your rights being violated if you don't win any drawing permits? Are your rights violated if the population is down in your local area and hunting is closed down, yet you don't have the money or time to travel elsewhere to hunt? If you have a "right" to hunt, after all, then you'd have a right regardless of population levels, time of year, etc.

Rights in the Constitution are relatively few, as they have to be something that cannot be restricted in most any circumstance. The right to speech or to vote don't depend on outside factors such as weather, predation, habitat, etc. etc. etc. It sounds great to write a right to hunt into law, but actually carrying this out in a practical way would get very messy. It seems like it would invite a lot of lawsuits from those who felt their rights were violated. What would be the level of opportunity that must be available to say that the right was still available? The right to participate in at least one big game hunt somewhere in the state? As long as you can hunt squirrels with a BB gun, then you still ultimately have the right to hunt?

Unless I saw a very clearly written law that addressed what it really meant to have a right to hunt, I'm not buying it.

RMK

Default you beat me to the punch

I have to agree with Brian on this one. I was going to use the analogy of hunting shrews with a sling shot.

Hunting has long been heavily regulated. When it isn't, it's usually the same old story, a species is hunted in to near extinction. I admit regulations are a hassle, but unfortunately necessary to protect us from ourselves.

Wink

It is already illegal for anyone to prevent you from hunting or fishing or harass you, while you are hunting and fishing in Alaska. So I would assume that law would apply to govt personnel also, if they attempted to stop you, anyway that is the way I see it.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I don't understand...........I have the RIGHT to Hunt every day of the Year. What more is it that you want........???? I think that there are people on this forum, who if given a special permit to hunt any animal any place (Even in the Parks) any time, all day, everyday, for the next ten years, shoot all you want, it is all your private hunting estate, the whole state. I'll bet that there are at least 5 members who would STILL find something to wine and snivel about. Like it is just not fair that my animals are being killed on the highways or on the train tracks. They would be wanting equal access to the locomotive..........

RMK

Question I'm curious as to which statue you refer?

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    It is already illegal for anyone to prevent you from hunting or fishing or harass you, while you are hunting and fishing in Alaska. So I would assume that law would apply to govt personnel also, if they attempted to stop you, anyway that is the way I see it.
    I'm not sure I get the point?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by RMK View Post
    I'm not sure I get the point?
    It is already illegal for someone to murder another person. Why then, should it be necessary to enact legislation 'making it a right to live'?

No...I don't know the exact Statute. It is on the books, take my word for it.

On edit: Hunting Regs book, page 7, bottom right hand corner in purple highlight. AS 16.05, 790. And....I further suggest you find out what the deal is on Citizen's Arrest, you can do that too.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Rights in the Constitution are relatively few, as they have to be something that cannot be restricted in most any circumstance.
    Good to know, that means all of the hundreds, if not thousands of gun laws will be lifted

Ryan
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

I'd like to see a constitutional amendment to enshrine the right to hunt-regardless of the potential problems. The antis are crazy and relentless and I think it would be smart to enshrine hunting in the constitution. Didn't North Dakota do this years ago? I thought it passed by 75-25%--it was a blow out.

Tim

Im from Oklahoma and we have this law now. It say's many things and Im not able to quote them all now, but one of the main things in it is that hunting will be the method to be used for wildlife population control. It gives the Department of Wildlife more control over wildlife and makes it difficult to bring banning certain type of hunting to votes. Like the California mountain lion hunting and hound hunting ban in some states.
    Its a great thing. Oklahoma is the reddest or the red states. We have led the way with many great laws. One must remember that Oklahoma was the first to ban Kansas residents from hunting big game in our state. Other states followed until Kansas opened the doors to non res big game hunters. Kansas residents didnt like this but the landowners made out and now everyone can enjoy Kansas deer hunting. We are all one country and separatism has no place in the USA, not even in Alaska. Share and share alike.

RMK

Default You forgot the most important word

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    It is already illegal for someone to murder another person. Why then, should it be necessary to enact legislation 'making it a right to live'?

No...I don't know the exact Statute. It is on the books, take my word for it.

On edit: Hunting Regs book, page 7, bottom right hand corner in purple highlight. AS 16.05, 790. And....I further suggest you find out what the deal is on Citizen's Arrest, you can do that too.

This statute applies to someone who is "lawfully" hunting. That means you have to be properly licensed, and hunting or fishing is allowed by law. I'm still not sure what your point is? Do you favor a "right to hunt" law, or are you against it.

The government does have the right to make sure you are in compliance when they see you hunting. That means a LEO has every legal right to ask to see your hunting license when you are engaging in that activity.

That may seem like harassment to some, but it's the way the law works.

Default smartly put...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    This is a lot more difficult than folks make it out to be. If hunting is codified as a "right", then are your rights being violated if you don't win any drawing permits? Are your rights violated if the population is down in your local area and hunting is closed down, yet you don't have the money or time to travel elsewhere to hunt? If you have a "right" to hunt, after all, then you'd have a right regardless of population levels, time of year, etc.

Rights in the Constitution are relatively few, as they have to be something that cannot be restricted in most any circumstance. The right to speech or to vote don't depend on outside factors such as weather, predation, habitat, etc. etc. etc. It sounds great to write a right to hunt into law, but actually carrying this out in a practical way would get very messy. It seems like it would invite a lot of lawsuits from those who felt their rights were violated. What would be the level of opportunity that must be available to say that the right was still available? The right to participate in at least one big game hunt somewhere in the state? As long as you can hunt squirrels with a BB gun, then you still ultimately have the right to hunt?

Unless I saw a very clearly written law that addressed what it really meant to have a right to hunt, I'm not buying it.
    your a smart dude brian, extremely well put, and i aint buying it either, too many braids to that river.

Cool pass it on!

the best way to secure the future of hunting in alaska is to take a kid hunting. and it doesn't have to be your kid either. it can be your kid and there friend(s), ect. a neighboor kid, a nephew or neice, cousin, ect

too get the youngsters involved remains the best means to secure the future of hunting.

pick someone to pass the tradition on to! they can be a great help if you put the effort into it.

if they love it as we do, they'll fight for there rights too!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Your definitely learning to put spin on issues, Brian. Must be the same ABHA training that Mark and Dave got!
    I can't see any "right to hunt" legislation, or constitutional amendment giving individuals a right that over rides a states responsibility to manage the wildlife in their borders.
    Right to hunt legislation is aimed at defining hunting within the state and preventing smaller govt entities (borough, county, city, etc.) from outlawing hunting in their jurisdiction. It's really not that difficult.
    Now I could see ABHA using right to hunt laws as a means to deny access. Can't have non locals interfering with locals "right to hunt"!
    Haha!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Unhappy hunting is not a RIGHT

it is a PRIVILEGE - granted to you by your purchase of a license.
    Rights can not be revoked (ie: life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness) but privileges may be revoked (run too many stop signs and watch what happens to your "right" to drive).
    to those who wish to debate - yes, I pursue happiness by hunting, also.
    having said that, I agree that our hunting privileges should be guaranteed in/by law. With all the dips***s politics seems to attract, you never know what craziness will occurr from one legislative session to the next. we should demand it.
    Gary

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast