Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I love to walk and call coyotes - something new coming :)

Default I love to walk and call coyotes - something new coming :)

Yes, I have been hunting coyotes for over 25yrs and my favorite way to do it is to walk and call. Setting up in camo, calling them trying to get them to come into wooded areas and short fields and out on gas lines. I have done this form of coyote hunting for the last 10yrs with a Ruger standard Mk II 22-250.

BUT SOMETHING NEW IS COMING. I needed to be able to move and turn quicker in bush and tight places but still want a rifle that will get the job done out to 300, 400yds. Most open fields I hunt now don't have shots over 300yds but every once in a while I find one about 400yds to shoot across. I also needed a rifle that would allow me to make quick shots without taking my eyes away from the scope. I could have taken four coyotes not long ago in one short 220yd field if I could have made quick follow up shots without my eyes leaving the scope.

So having to get up move, reset myself, conceal myself, make multiple shots, while in some places there is not enough room to move a 22 or 24 inch barrel around quickly and not be noticed. SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SOMETHING NEW IS COMING

The Smith & Wesson M&P15OR “Optics Ready” rifle has a 6-position collapsible CAR stock, a M4 barrel with an A2 birdcage suppressor, and a gas block with an integral Picatinny-style rail for mounting sights and optics. Removable front and rear sights. The M&P15ORC AR15 rifle also features:

Caliber: 5.56mm NATO/ .223
    Barrel Length: 16”
    Total Length: 35” (extended), 32” (collapsed)
    Weight: 6. 5 lbs
    30-Round Magazine
    Semi-Automatic Operating System
    Barrel Twist: 1 in 9”
    6-Position CAR Stock
    4140 Steel Barrel
    7075 T6 Aluminum Receiver
    Hard Coat Black Anodized Finish
    Chromed Materials: Barrel Bore, Gas Key Bolt Carrier, Chamber

Will have a VX-III 2.5-8x40mm scope.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I grew up hunting coyote like that in Arizona. I also liked to go horse back and call at the bottoms and tops of canyons around dawn and dusk. Hobble the horse 100 yards off do a fast set, give it 15 minutes, then mount and move fast to the next canyon. Haven’t done much calling since I moved here though.

In my opinion you made a very good pick for this kind of hunting. The only time I ever got 4 at one set by myself I was shooting my nephews AR, I have got 3 a couple times with lever guns. Never more than 2 with a bolt gun because I completely loose the sight picture and awareness of where they went as I cycle the bolt. With the AR the scope bairley moved and I could see most of the shots land even, very good choice for runnin and gunnin coyote.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I grew up hunting coyote like that in Arizona. I also liked to go horse back and call at the bottoms and tops of canyons around dawn and dusk. Hobble the horse 100 yards off do a fast set, give it 15 minutes, then mount and move fast to the next canyon. Haven’t done much calling since I moved here though.

In my opinion you made a very good pick for this kind of hunting. The only time I ever got 4 at one set by myself I was shooting my nephews AR, I have got 3 a couple times with lever guns. Never more than 2 with a bolt gun because I completely loose the sight picture and awareness of where they went as I cycle the bolt. With the AR the scope bairley moved and I could see most of the shots land even, very good choice for runnin and gunnin coyote.
    You have a chance with a bolt rifle if you are in a fairly large field or open place but the shorter fields and gas lines require quicker sighting and shots.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default You betcha

That will work very well from my experience. I haven’t in a long while, but have shot many coyotes with an AR. Back in the early 80’s I had a buddy whose family had a large cattle and poultry farm in SW Missouri. Back then all the chicken farmers had a dump site(s) for throwing the dead birds. Due to all the dead chickens free to eat, the coyote population exploded.

Two or three of us would get in back of the pickup and put our rifle(s) over the cab and drive around at dusk through the pastures looking for coyotes. We never had to look long. I used an AR15 with 16.5” barrel shooting milsurp 55gr and it would roll those coyotes out to 300+. I was shooting with the issue iron sites over the cab of the truck, so it was somewhat of a challenge. Those coyotes were carrying the mail, and I was stringing a lead clothes line! It was great fun, one of the non-shooters would shout corrections. We even shot and hit some while the truck was moving! There was no shortage of coyotes. Made for some fun evenings with the bullets, Copenhagen, and Red Man spit flying!

Look forward to hearing about yours after you break it in!

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    You have a chance with a bolt rifle if you are in a fairly large field or open place but the shorter fields and gas lines require quicker sighting and shots.
    Yea like that guy on TV calling in all those Nebraska and Kansas meadows, bolt would be fine there. In Arizona it's all the manzanita, juniper, mesquite, and creosote brush they go darting in and out of that makes it hard. You end up with shooting windows so must track them longer before they get to one, after the second things always got too complex to keep track of for a third with a bolt gun.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Ozarks View Post
    That will work very well from my experience. I haven’t in a long while, but have shot many coyotes with an AR. Back in the early 80’s I had a buddy whose family had a large cattle and poultry farm in SW Missouri. Back then all the chicken farmers had a dump site(s) for throwing the dead birds. Due to all the dead chickens free to eat, the coyote population exploded.

Two or three of us would get in back of the pickup and put our rifle(s) over the cab and drive around at dusk through the pastures looking for coyotes. We never had to look long. I used an AR15 with 16.5” barrel shooting milsurp 55gr and it would roll those coyotes out to 300+. I was shooting with the issue iron sites over the cab of the truck, so it was somewhat of a challenge. Those coyotes were carrying the mail, and I was stringing a lead clothes line! It was great fun, one of the non-shooters would shout corrections. We even shot and hit some while the truck was moving! There was no shortage of coyotes. Made for some fun evenings with the bullets, Copenhagen, and Red Man spit flying!

Look forward to hearing about yours after you break it in!
    That sounds like a ball and I am sure it was. Reminds me when a game warden friend of mine in the Delta of Mississippi use to hunt coyote in the spring right after the fields were plowed and you had no obstructions in the way and coyotes had to run a ways to find cover. I used, believe it or not a 30-06 and the 165gr HPBT Game King and killed 52 coyote in a 13 months of hunting about once every other week or so. It was a ball. My shots averaged 290yds with the closest being 125yds and the farthest being 426yds. Yes, that was a good time.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Used to chase cotton tale from a truck like that in the alfalfa fields when I was a kid, what a blast that was. It would get wild and woolly sometimes jumping terraces and brumes slinging 22s with wild abandon.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SKS and iron sights

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    SKS and iron sights
    You are the man
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

We have a group of 8 very close nit friends that make up our coyote hunting group. In Iowa the county road system is set up so for the most part there is a road every mile both north and south and east and west. We usually hunt from section to section with 4 vehicles driving into the section (square mile) and 4 staying on the roads at high vantage points so we can keep tabs on jumped critters. We have our own FM channel and radios that are crystal clear. It is all in accordance with the laws set up by the state DNR.

About ten years ago a couple of the guys went to shooting the black guns with great success. Today the group is about half and half. The old farts in the group (me included) are still shooting bolt guns. The youngest guy in the group has one of the all white AR's and If we get a yote that hangs up the kid gets to do the leg work and year in and year out his talley marks are at the top of the group.

There is a 2 square mile section of land that has always been off limits to hunting. It is a pretty wooley parcel of ground and we have often sat on the road and glassed numerous coyotes doing what coyotes do from a distance on that ground. There is everything a coyote could possibly need or want for living the life of luxury within the confines of that 2 square mile section of land. Fremont Farms has a multi-million head per year chicken operation only a mile east and many a dead chicken gets hauled to the field.

Two years ago the farming conglomerate that owns that land decided they were tired of the coyote dens in the terraces and what not. The foreman gave me a call and the green light to have at it. This happened deep into the season at a point where all of the yotes that had given us the slip had gained some wisdom to the fact that this chunk of ground was their safe haven.

The next week end I witnessed the most incredible feat of shooting that I have seen in my hunting career. I got high on the hill where I could direct traffic. I sent two vehicles in from the west and when they got part way in I directed one in from the south road ond one in from the north road. Then it started unfolding right before my eyes. I'm not kidding guys there were coyotes coming from all directions and heading toward the center of the section. I yelled on the radio for the three roving trucks to get to the big ditch on the east end of the section because there were at least three or four full grown litters of coyotes all parading along the ditch headed due east. All three trucks came over the hill north of me and they were right in the money for some good shooting. Fellas it sounded like world war three as the black guns started barking. A couple of the older song dogs broke from the group and came my direction and I got one of them and the other turned and went back where he came from. The boys with the black guns had reloaded by now and this big fella ran right back to them. I heard three quick pops and the last one was followed with a whump! Then there was more shooting up north out of my view then to the west. After about a solid half hour of gunfire it was quiet. It was absolutely the most fantastic 1/2 hour of coyote hunting our group has ever experienced in 30 years of doing this. In the end we all conviened to the same spot to hoot and holler and do a head count. In a half hour we had killed exactly 11 coyotes 1 German Shepard looking thing and another that had some malnute in it...hey they were all running together. 13 critters in a half hour and some black guns with hot barrels. We had every farmer within earshot showing up to see what the sam hill was going on and in the end they were all good with it.

I've gone to bed many a night reliving that half hour!

That was our best season ever....we killed 119 total for the winter!

That day changed my attitude about the black guns! The talley would have been way less without them.

Big magazines Beartooth....big magazines!

elmerkeithclone, Hey that was great, I really enjoyed that read and I was right there with you. Big magazine indeed my friend and I will have three 30 round mags loaded and ready when I go to the field. Yes, the black gun has entered my life and I will for sure take advantage of keeping my scope right on those dogs and will not give them relief, you can count of that. Once again, thanks for taking the time to share that cool and fun story with us.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Yes, I feel this is just the beginning of a lot of fun, cash and time on the range and in the field. WOW!! Who said there ain't life after Weatherby???

Moving from doing load work on my 340Wby to a 223 Rem is like a Cessna 150 "VS" a Boeing 747

I will be trying Varget and TAC, I have both. Just trying to decide on a bullet that would take coyote and hogs without having to change bullets.

Also, if any of you have a suggestion on a good factory ammo for hunting varmint and is accurate. Also a specific defense round that is accurate, please chime in, thank you.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

You are looking at the 45-62 grn rounds w/ you 1:9 barrel. Mine groups purty good w/ the off the shelf cheapo remington fmj's. No dogs for it yet but I was pleasantly surprised at how it did on bunnies last fall. The only problem w/ black guns is that once you have one, then you buy accessories, then another upper...then get tired of switching uppers so you buy another lower... Then you start thinking about building another one and stumble on a good stripped lower for cheap and it all starts again...

I have a feeling that my DPMS 223 is getting close to having a stable mate in either 25wssm or 300 oly... cause I have that extra lower parts kit and stag lower just sitting around...

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    You are looking at the 45-62 grn rounds w/ you 1:9 barrel. Mine groups purty good w/ the off the shelf cheapo remington fmj's. No dogs for it yet but I was pleasantly surprised at how it did on bunnies last fall. The only problem w/ black guns is that once you have one, then you buy accessories, then another upper...then get tired of switching uppers so you buy another lower... Then you start thinking about building another one and stumble on a good stripped lower for cheap and it all starts again...

I have a feeling that my DPMS 223 is getting close to having a stable mate in either 25wssm or 300 oly... cause I have that extra lower parts kit and stag lower just sitting around...

I wonder how long I will last before I start through all that process of addiction with the black gun
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

This post is funny for me, I switched over to the 6.5 Grendel about three years ago I still have a couple of .223 uppers around the house but I've got to tell you that shooting in the wind at longer ranges sure give the knod to the longer heavy bullet, less wind drift will really make it for you. My money has really gone into the 6.5 and I do like what it has done for the black rifle. I'm now good out to 600. Yes it costs some bucks, but it really is worth all the trouble.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    This post is funny for me, I switched over to the 6.5 Grendel about three years ago I still have a couple of .223 uppers around the house but I've got to tell you that shooting in the wind at longer ranges sure give the knod to the longer heavy bullet, less wind drift will really make it for you. My money has really gone into the 6.5 and I do like what it has done for the black rifle. I'm now good out to 600. Yes it costs some bucks, but it really is worth all the trouble.
    The 6.5 does have some real good wind buckin bullets. It's very high on my list The 6mm/.243 has some good bullets too

Anything past about 200 yards is not common shooting for me on coyote beyond that it’s more spray and pray. If it's windy they will ether not come at all because they made a big wide loop and busted me or come in tight usually on a fast trot. I have tagged some that were way out yonder but that was always just lobbing lead and hope they run into it. I think you’d have as good a chance hitting a yote trotting off at 400 yards with a 223 as with anything. Make a guess and hope they run into it but with a 223 AR you can do a mess of guessing on the cheap.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Yeah the 223 is the perfect 400yd "shotgun"

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Anything past about 200 yards is not common shooting for me on coyote beyond that it’s more spray and pray. If it's windy they will ether not come at all because they made a big wide loop and busted me or come in tight usually on a fast trot. I have tagged some that were way out yonder but that was always just lobbing lead and hope they run into it. I think you’d have as good a chance hitting a yote trotting off at 400 yards with a 223 as with anything. Make a guess and hope they run into it but with a 223 AR you can do a mess of guessing on the cheap.
    Very well put, because it is hard at 400yds and them running with a much more powerful cartridge. I really like how you put it, "Make a guess and hope they run into it but with a 223 AR you can do a mess of guessing on the cheap."
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I just got my new rig also, and I'm wondering what's the best sights to use for Coyotes?
    It came with the scope in the picture (already removed), but I'm wondering about a decent red-dot.
    But, I see a lot of you folks are just using open irons.

I'm looking forward to getting out and putting some rounds through it and helping "control" our overblown coyote population here also.
    I wish I could HUNT our golf course! Been practicing with the camera though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast