Thread: Pribilofs (st george or st paul) hunting

Default Pribilofs (st george or st paul) hunting

I was looking at the possibility of doing a Caribou (I think they may be considered Reindeer on the Pribilofs?) on either St George or St Paul islands and was wondering if anyone here has done either of them. Ideally, Iíd like to hike 3 or so miles out of town and camp near a hill near the center of one of the islands and use it for glassing.

I am aware that you need to get a permit from the native corporation. Does this mean that you donít need to buy a tag from Fish and Game?

I am aware that camping is off limits in the coastal areas of St Paul, but I also thought I heard that no camping is allowed anywhere on St George. Is that true?

I was thinking of doing the trip in early September but I might get the chance to do it in April instead if the schedule allows. It would be primarily a meat hunt.

Default St George

Tried to hunt it once, was unable to get there. The travel difficulties can be extraordinary. I would only consider it if I were unemployed or had unlimited time off. I can send you a pm when I have more time. I have my research notes on my home PC.

Fish and Game told me "We don't care. Private property, like shooting someone's cow"

What time of year? I'm assuming the flight was unable to land? I'd definately be interested in the details if you could PM them to me.

Default I did it back in the mid eighties.

Permit was $5.00 for one animal. Contact city hall there or village store run by the corporation. Problem was the animals stayed around the Volcano most of the year and it was quite the distance to get to them. You are also looking at @$1000.00 for a ticket, at least it used to be. When I went out there, Reeve was still flying but NAC might still fly out. Good luck
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Those are reindeer and not caribou; therefore, they are actually livestock and not covered by any fish and game laws.

If you want to hunt reindeer Atka is trying to increase their tourism and are promoting their giant sized trophy reindeer. They might have set up some kind of exclusive outfitter relationship with Jim Shockey, but I would think that if anyone worked directly with the community they could uptain a permit and rent the equipment to go out and hunt with ATVs.

contact these folks or these folks for st george hunting information.

Thanks Ray. I did have the first link, but the second one is new to me. I'll look into Atka as well.

We deploy to St. Paul Jan-Mar and take several reindeer each year. The herd is managed by the native corp. there and tags are $50 a piece. Plane tickets through penair are expensive, the animals are small, and the weather is CRAPPY 98% of the time. There is much better hunting elsewhere but if you are set on going PM me and I can give you all the info you need.

probly cheaper and funner to go to kodiak island in the fall, kill 3 blacktails and some reindeer, and maybe even a bear.

Release Lake Trout

St George is a small island, very good for hiking and glassing its reindeer. They have a one man taxi service that will drive you a little closer to the reindeer herd; even if you walk from town, you should be able to find them within 2-3 miles. There is a hotel you can stay in- rates are around $200 a night. They have a grocery store and a beer store. A permit is $50. In the 90's when I worked and hunted out there the herd was small, but the animals were very large; I was very surprised at the body size.

Now the bad news: there is a lot of fog and wind in St George, both of which disrupt flights. Pilots don't like landing on a 5x10 mile island in the middle of the ocean anyhow, and refuse to if they can't see it. Weird. The hunt begins Sep.1, and the animals are already starting to think rut. Get them as early in Sep as possible, because by the end of the month they're so gamey they're all but inedible. If it is foggy, glassing doesn't work very well; even at 10x in 25 foot visibility you're only able to see 25 foot.

Wink Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by WIsam View Post
    What time of year? I'm assuming the flight was unable to land? I'd definately be interested in the details if you could PM them to me.
    We tried to go in August because I won 2 free tickets on PenAir and wanted to go someplace different and cool. Wife bought a third ticket on miles. We flew all the way to St. George the first day and made a couple passes at the runway before diverting to St. Paul. We barely got into on St. Paul where there was a Coast Guard C130 piled at the end of the runway. Nice. We sat in St. Paul for a couple hours and then flew back to Anchorage. Tried to go the next 4 days, but they never even bother to take off from Anchorage. We finally gave up when I found that they had not been there for over 2 weeks. Figured that if I do get there, when would I get home???

I got a lot of info on the hunt from a guy that used to be regular on this forum before he moved out of state. He'd been to St. George and loved it. Big bulls, great people, but the logistics suck. Very friendly village. Said the town looked like it came out of an old Normal Rockwell painting.

If you get serious about it, call the native corp for the latest info. There may or may not be a permit fee. You would stay at the hotel. Rent a 4 wheeler from someone when you get there -- For riding the ROAD ONLY. Village is on the opposite side of the island from the airport, so you can ride the road across. It will potentially cut off some walking.

Honestly, I don't think I will ever try it again. I would need to retire first to be able to put that much time towards it. If you go in April, May or June you might beat the fog, But I'm not counting on it