Thread: Ebay fly hooks

Default Ebay fly hooks

Anyone purchased hooks from 789fly on ebay? Since Fairbanks doesn't have a fly shop any more I figured I'd give it a shot. Ordered some #18 and #20 dry hooks. I'll let you know how it turns out.

What happened to Howie and the Ak Fly shop? Have not been in Fairbanks in a few years.

Out of business. Early fall I believe.
    Very slim on fly tying in Fairbanks now. Sportsmans is the best bet, but ever since they started downsizing, their shelves have been bare.
    I only paid $11.50 for two packs of hooks including shipping, so it was a good deal. They are not a "name brand" hook however, so I don't know the quality of the steel. Try'em and find out I guess.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

For that size I'd probably go the cabela's route. They package tiemco hooks and put their name on them and charge a little less.

Togen is an economical option for for bigger stuff. I've heard they're not great for small hooks <16, especially dries.

hap

I have tried several different ebay hooks and cannot like any of them. Most are incredibly dull and none have been tough.

Hook prices are high on ebay right now, but if you watch a bit through the summer when folks are fishing rather than tying you will see far better deals to stock up with.

I got a large bunch of Mustad 94845 (barbless standard dry exactly like 94840) 14 and 16 in 50 count boxes a while back at the local SW that were marked .27... I bought all they had obviously...

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post
    I have tried several different ebay hooks and cannot like any of them. Most are incredibly dull and none have been tough.

Hook prices are high on ebay right now, but if you watch a bit through the summer when folks are fishing rather than tying you will see far better deals to stock up with.

I got a large bunch of Mustad 94845 (barbless standard dry exactly like 94840) 14 and 16 in 50 count boxes a while back at the local SW that were marked .27... I bought all they had obviously...
    Ditto, I picked up a full assortment of Mustad 34007 hooks (100 packs) last summer watching for them on Ebay.

I've bought plenty of hooks off ebay, but I prefer to buy name brand. I'm sure there are probably decent hooks offered by some sellers, but I like to trust those who have been in the business a while. Compared to rods, line, waders, raingear, travel/airfare/gas, beer, etc. - hooks are cheap.

I also keep an eye on closeouts/sales/specials through the usual online sellers. I'm not one to pass up a good deal, and often times buying some new hooks inspires me to tie some new patterns/styles.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

You should try www.theflyshop.com in Redding Cali they have their own brand of hooks and I've been super happy with them.

P.S.
    they have the largest selection of tying stuff in stock i've seen.

I sat down at the fly bench last night to get a better look at my recent hook purchase.

I opened the #18's, poured a few in my hand, and randomly selected three hooks. The first hook I grabbed had a straight eye, like the Tiemco 101. Strange considering the seller showed a down turned eye in the photos.
    The second #18, looked normal.
    The third hook, looked normal, but was not a #18. Its a #16, I think.

I opend the #20's and did the same thing. Three random hooks.
    First hook, upturned eye, not down turned.
    Second hook, the eye is turned to the side of the hook shank with another bend about a third of the way down the shank. Completely useless.
    Third, normal.

All the hooks seem to be sharp. Tonight I'll get some photos and do some torture testing with a pair of pliers.
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau