Thread: Trailering an inflatable sport boat?

Default Trailering an inflatable sport boat?

I have a new 17 Inflatable sport boat and am wondering if it is best to set it on the trailer bunks, or to use plywood and create a surface the size and shape of the boat.
    My concern with the bunks is that road debris will come up and damage the underside of the boat.
    My concern with the plywood is the support for the boat and that it may be very buoyant when launching the boat.
    Any information or suggestions would be appreciated.

RMK

Default Zodiak on a trailer

I never even thought about road debris. You make a good point. Just the same, I have pulled my Zodiak Grand Raid around on a Caulkins trailer for 20 years, and have never damaged the boat from road debris. I'm guess it could happen.

My buddy had a flatbed trailer, and you're right, it wasn't worth a darn for backing it in to the water. One day a screw that held his decking down back out a little, and that tore a hole in the floor.

I personally believe your better with the bunks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use bunks on mine as well. I fabricated a custom carpeted cross-bar at the front of my trailer where the bow roller was too. Provides good support, and I've never had a problem with debris either. If you do decide to use a flatbed, be sure to at least carpet it with bunk carpet so you don't prematurely wear out the bottom of your boat.

Thank you for the info. I think I will just run with the bunkers that area on the trailer now.
    One more question if I may?
    While transporting your boat, do you use a strap for your motor to relieve some pressure on the transom?

My transom rests directly on the last 3 inches or so of the bunks, which provides all the support it needs. The straps on our boats you see in the pictures are simply to hold the boat tightly against the bunks, avoiding the boat from sliding side-to-side or catching air on bumps. I run a 15hp Johnson short-shaft that only weighs 80 pounds, which helps with transom stress. If you are really concerned about it, you can purchase a transom saver gadget from West Marine.

Default Same Bunks

Pulled one for 20 some years and never had a road junk problem, if any thing did hit it bounced off. Bunks worked just fine, used a snowmachine trailer for a couple years and it did work ok no complaints really it didn't float.

Larsenvega,
    I have two small boys that are about the age of the boy in your picture. Do you have a few suggestions on some lakes that I may go to and get the boys comfortable to being in the boat?

Quote Originally Posted by hitch View Post
    Larsenvega,
    I have two small boys that are about the age of the boy in your picture. Do you have a few suggestions on some lakes that I may go to and get the boys comfortable to being in the boat?
    The only places I've taken my boy out on this boat were to Fire Lake and Ship Creek. I'm sure there are plenty of other lakes out there that work with our style boats, and are legal even if they have 2-stroke motors. We primarily take our boys out in PWS using a 22' C-Dory, so I don't have a lot of fresh-water experience to share. Anyone else want to chime in a give Hitch a few ideas?