Thread: 2010 Spring mushing pics #1

Default 2010 Spring mushing pics #1

Up a side creek yesterday toward what passes for mountains around here.

Heading up the creek:

Farther along:

Team stopped on some oozing overflow:

Resting the team in the shade:

Default continued...

Shortly before we turned around:

Heading back home:

All in all, great day, water was never over my bunny boots but sure got a lot of ice buildup on the rig and tons of twigs and branches down my neck sliding into the alders and willows and spruce along the creek.

Looking fwd to more,

Thumbs up Nice

Man!
    Looks like just another s--ty day in paradise!!!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Mark - I have a student this year who is quite into mushing. She just got back from representing Alaska in the Arctic Winter Games in Alberta and managed to win a silver in the 6 dog sprint and a bronze in the 5 dog class. Anyhow, I showed her your pictures today and she loved them. Hopefully you'll be back through this area and able to stop into my classroom again sometime in the next three years, as she was full of questions. Thanks for sharing.

Mark, ever consider running the team with no neck-lines?

Kyle,

A former neighbor used to run without necklines along the Yukon. Took a while for the dogs to learn things.

I wouldn't do it, just too many problems. Without a neckline, when a dog has to pee or poop they can just stop and then the dogs behind run into them, can cause fights. And then without the neckline there is nothing to pull them fwd and they can get turned around and then yanked backwards, causing injuries. The only way to stop that would be to keep your foot on the brake all the time and watch the dogs all the time too. No thanks.

On the overland trails, wooded trails, very narrow 18" trail and some dogs would go around a tree the wrong way if they didn't have a neckline there to keep them from straying too wide of the gangline, jump off after bunnies or what have you.

Not to mention when you're parked they'd be able to go back to next dog, and I have enough problems when the females are in heat as it is <grin>.

Yeah, I was just noticing it after working with Jeff King. Obviously his and your reasons for running dogs are vastly different....

Keep the pics coming...

Great pictures , love the scenery.

awesome pics! thanx for sharing. I raced once in the cheechako race in Chugiak when I was 12 w/ our vets dogs. They had everything ready all I had to do was drive the sled, ahem... what a nightmare! The leaddog took off after a moose, I threw out the anchor to un tangle them and they took off dragging the anchor w/ me chasing the whole works, boiiihowdy I have major respect for you guys oh yeah I finished the race but it wasn't pretty lol....this was like 1976

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Yeah, I was just noticing it after working with Jeff King. Obviously his and your reasons for running dogs are vastly different....

Keep the pics coming...
    Nice groomed trails like that ones Jeff has, are easier and less dangerous then the "trails" Mark is running when it comes to running with neck lines or not. I'm not comfortable running with out them even on the trails.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Nice groomed trails like that ones Jeff has, are easier and less dangerous then the "trails" Mark is running when it comes to running with neck lines or not. I'm not comfortable running with out them even on the trails.
    I took more than one 'wrong turn' on trails around Jeffs place that didn't lend themselves to be called 'groomed'...but I defer to your experience...

Not saying they are all groomed lol. I imagine the area is full of ungroomed, but I doubt he goes off trail and cross country very much.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?