Thread: footwear

Default footwear

i will be up on six-mile this season and possibly some time on the nenana. just a quick question about typical river footwear up there...

would a pair of keens or chacos be sufficient with a drysuit and wool socks or would i be better off trying to find a good pair of boots/shoes?
    thanks

I prefer neoprene boots, over drysuit booties, over socks. I have done Sixmile in warm weather with much less, but the edges of the season will be cooler and require more. Also the rocks in and around Sixmile are rather ragged, so I prefer something with ankle protection and a very stiff sole. Nenana has considerably colder water than Sixmile, but you're not banging around on the rocks so much.

Default quick question-

Why not just a regular wading boot like you'd wear with chest waders for fishing? They give you plenty of ankle support and are comfortable off the river too... just curious.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Why not just a regular wading boot like you'd wear with chest waders for fishing? They give you plenty of ankle support and are comfortable off the river too... just curious.

-Mike
    Mike - I don't have a raft, so when I do raft, it is with friends. I've always wore my (probably soon to be illegal) felt soled Simms boots.

-hiker

Neoprene boots generally use closed cell Neoprene, like the waders, and not like the open cell stuff in wetsuits. Closed cell neoprene is warmer, and I think that's the advantage over other types of wader boots. Of course it's not hard to make up for that with warmer socks if they have enough room in them.

Of course if you're a "real" boater you know image is everything. Paddlers use neoprene and fishermen use other wader shoes. You gotta know how you're audience or you can never be cool.