Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenai Lake

Default Kenai Lake

Always wanted to fish there and never have. Looking at the regs. it appears that the lake itself is open year round with no restrictions on bait. Am I missing something?

On the other hand has anyone fished there with success in the summer? Any tips or stories would be appreciated. I have noticed that it is an extremely deep Lake.

You can't use bait within 1/4 mile (I think) of a stream mouth and you can't fish after december within a quarter mile of the keani outflow. Its in the regs!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I saw that in there but nothing exactly referred to the Lake. That is why I asked about "in the lake itself".

Mark

I've fished it at night in the summer. The lakers start biting at about 10 or 11 PM. Shallow. They're cruising the shelf in the dark.

I've never fished it in the winter, but know some folks who have fished Trail Lake in winter. The lakers run up to 2.5 lbs there.

The biggest I've seen come out of Kenai Lake was about 5 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    I saw that in there but nothing exactly referred to the Lake. That is why I asked about "in the lake itself".
    Its there either in "Kenai Lake Drainage" or "Upper Kenai River" I think its the former however. I'd point you to it but I don't have a copy handy and the sport fish website is down

First line of kenai lake drainage:

"including kenai lake" page 24 I think

Default Kenai Lake in September

I did hydroacoustic surveys of Kenai Lake in September for a number of years. The shallow end of the lake is on the western end from the power line crossing to the bridge. The rest of the lake is very deep and drops off quickly.

However, one area that always got my attention was the area in front of the power plant spillway. In September warmer water entered here and fish concentrations, mostly sockeye salmon juveniles, were much higher here. I always wondered how fishing would be in this warmer water plume.

Has anyone ever tried this area?

Is that over by the snow river??? Sounds like a good (great) place to fish so where is this power plant spillway?

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Is that over by the snow river??? Sounds like a good (great) place to fish so where is this power plant spillway?

Well, to use yer own words...

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    If I told you I'd have to kill you
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

And yes Nerka, I used to fish there quite a bit back in high school...Your assesment is spot on, good feeder area and quite productive.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default location location location

The spillway outlet is right at the end of Snug Harbor road before it turns uphill.

Default Be careful.

I talk with a local cooper landing boy a few years back about ice fish the lake and he told me to watch out for bad ice around that area. Some friends of his lost a snow machine there and that they were lucky it's all they lost.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Well, to use yer own words...
    Touche!

I didn't realize that there are lakers in there. I was hoping to find some nice rainbows or dollies but I'd be happy with a nice laker. Thanks for the info.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    .....one area that always got my attention was the area in front of the power plant spillway. In September warmer water entered here and fish concentrations, mostly sockeye salmon juveniles, were much higher here. I always wondered how fishing would be in this warmer water plume.

Has anyone ever tried this area?
    Not yet.

But I will.

I'll let you know..........

What are lakers? Lake Trout?
    I will be staying at a cabin near the lake and may fish there a day or two. Are lakers any good eating?

How would I know if i'm 1/4 mile from a stream or from kenai outflow?

So I guess there are only lakers and not much else? sockeye maybe?
    What kinda live bait should we use for fishes in the lake outside of the restricted area?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    What are lakers? Lake Trout?
    I will be staying at a cabin near the lake and may fish there a day or two. Are lakers any good eating?

How would I know if i'm 1/4 mile from a stream or from kenai outflow?

So I guess there are only lakers and not much else? sockeye maybe?
    What kinda live bait should we use for fishes in the lake outside of the restricted area?

Thanks!
    GPS map and compass, the lake is closed for salmon, and herring and salmon eggs work well for little lakers when I figure out how to catch big ones I'll let you know.

Once my buddy hooked what he thought was a large laker but it turned out to be a 40 pound king, he felt bad about fighting it that far upstream.

Ive cought some huge lakers in variouse spots on the KP. I fish the peninsula a lot and I hear stories about kenai lake and the little 2.5lb lakers all the time. I laugh at them then go catch big fish. I like to use 5 or 6 inch spoons buzz bombs and all of it tipped with a half herring.

I always change my hook to a barbless single hook gomakatsu. Big lures are necessary to catch a large amount of big fish...... Are you wondering how many large fish I am talking about? I probably average about 1 or 2 large fish each trip. I use my other rod to fish for smaller fish as I mooch the big rig.....

I would think that Kenai Lake would have some very large Lakers. I don't believe that it sees too much pressure and the food supply should be plentiful.

Maybe I need to try it.

These laker are lake trout right? Meaning they are not planted and are better tasting?

Fishing with Herring and Salmon eggs off the bottom?

How would I setup if I was to fish off the shoreline where I'll be staying? sliding sinker rig with bait on the bottom?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast