Thread: need a gps

Default need a gps

Howdy all, I need to no if any one has a garmin 196 or a airmap 600 for sale
    Marc

I think Northern Lights has a couple used Garmins for sale. I think they have a 196.

Have you used the garmin 196 I need one for my tcraft.Northern light are closed I will try to call monday thank Marc

Default I have a 196

I really like my 196. I have owned it for 7 years now. I had it die last fall out in McGrath and that was the first trouble I've had. I called Garmin and sent it in and got it back in about two weeks-just like new W/all acc. as it came new for $100.00. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by SewellGT View Post
    I think Northern Lights has a couple used Garmins for sale. I think they have a 196.
    because the owner of the 196 traded it in on a 296. Buy a 296 to start and save the loss on the 196.

Quote Originally Posted by nc43643 View Post
    Have you used the garmin 196 I need one for my tcraft.Northern light are closed I will try to call monday thank Marc
    Haven't used a 196. I just bought a 396 and used it for the first time the other day, it's awesome.

Default Buy it cheep

If you are going to buy a 196, don't pay too much as its really obsolete. Also as a bargaining chip check the garmin web site to see if its still supported. Its a great GPS but old by hi-tec standards. As I said above I use one and find it great. We generaly don't need XM WX in AK and all I do is A to B nav. You might try E-Bay also.

just saw a 196 on Alaska list.com for three bills.

Just my expeience, I bought a used 296 which after a month needed a battery, which arent cheap. Then someone stoled it and I bought a 495 and truely love it, I think the key to these hand held units are to have a permanent mounted antenna, easy to do in wing root. I would go with the 296 for starters. The nice thing about the garmins, is if you upgrade later you can save and transfer your information easily. One nice thing if you purchase one from Northern Lights Av, is the girls there with make sure it up to date, will store or send your waypoints to you, restore it if it ever crashs and can answer any questions you might have.

Terry

Default Garmin 196

I been flying down in the Gulf of Mexico with a 196 since I bought it in 2005. Before that I used a 195 MAP, Never had any trouble with either unit. I would love to upgrade to a 496 or 696 but I been unemployed for a while now and its just not doable till I find a job. Airplanes in bush Alaska would suit me just fine.

I don't think Garmin supports the 196 any longer. That means no software updates, including airport info. The 296 is still supported. I have both and will use my 196 until it dies, but I wouldn't buy less than a 296 if I was looking for a GPS. The new Aera units aren't too expensive and I hear guys are liking them.

Ebay... I just picked up a 396 off there for 800 shipped.

I have a 196 give me call.
    Mark