Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: strangest things found inside a fish’s stomach?

Default strangest things found inside a fish’s stomach?

I have found a way too big smaller fish as well as cigarette butts and bottle caps what are the strangest things that others have found inside a fish’s stomach?
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Swiss army knife. all blades closed, in a ling cod off of 3 hole bay back in '88.....

A tufted puffin in a 120 lb-ish halibut on the windward side of granite island in the early '90's....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

o baby beaver in a pikes gullet.

Default Catfish

I used to work on a catfish farm, and have found snakes, birds, gophers, bobbers and syrofoam cups in stomachs. I watched cats launch out of the water on shore to catch the birds and gophers. Oh, I found a bat once too!

Have a friend who found a bear paw inside a 100# halibut

Quote Originally Posted by fishon View Post
    Have a friend who found a bear paw inside a 100# halibut
    Good Gawd Man! where are you fishing, the 9th hole at settlers bay?

holy **** alaskahippy! how deep does a puffin dive?

This is gonna be a cool thread!

a toy Matchbox car....

-I think it was some sort of Corvette...blue...
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

A guy here in Yakutat found a Mountain Dew can (empty) in a Halibut's stomach. I found a long line leader/ gangoin with the hook, snap gear and all in a Ling Cod's stomach. It wasn't hooked, it just ate the whole thing!

Default Ripley

I read of a N. Atlantic fisherman who had his upper dentures slip out while long lining. It went on to say three days later in the same location he caught a cod that had those teeth in them.

I haven't seen a thing in contents, but I have had my illustrator lose a Crcodile spoon while fishing beside me (bust off on a fish), and then I caught and landed the same one an hour later with his lure still in the mouth.

Yeah, definitely a good thread. Don't ask me about the goliath grouper I saw caught on a swallowed sand anchor in 1971 in Tampa Bay...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Default In the Fish's Stomach

I know this is gonna be hard to believe, but, here goes.

I was fishing out of Costa Rica on a friend's boat. We had a slow day and were close to calling it quits. "Just one more cast," is always the line that us fisherman use. "Just one more," and on and on and on. Besides there were still a few cold beers.

It was just past four in the afternoon when a marlin hit my bait like a freight train. Once I knew the hook was set it was game on. He didn't like coming my way and I didn't like him going the other way. It was a full three hour battle, but, the best man won!

Being a bit on the lazy side we took this monster whole to shore where a couple of the local chaps offered to clean it for a measly fee and the scraps that were left. Downing the last of the beers we watched as they slit the belly to see what it was feasting on. Out dropped three packages that were about 10" long by 6" wide by 4" deep. They were wrapped tight with duct tape.

The local boys started chattering up a storm in Spanish. One of them took off running and returned with another man about ten minutes later. The newcomer approached us and in broken English offered $90,000 cash for the three packages without us looking at them any closer. Needless to say I went fishing again the next day!

BEST DAY I EVER HAD FISHING!

caught an irish lord in seward once....grabbed it by the tail, a full unopened pack of marlboro reds hit the deck.....another time in seward i was mooching herring for silvers off of 4th of july creek, noticed my rod was jiggin pretty heavy so brought it up, a tomcod had taken the herring, and a 20lb arrowtooth (big ugly!) flounder took the tomcod was pretty cool. another time we caught a huge 20lb yellow sole with a bulging belly, opened him up and counted 47 baby dog sharks he had eaten. ive found baby ducks and birds inside of pike and burbot and even rainbow trout. ive got more somewhere in my head ill post when i remember.

Release Lake Trout

oh and out of seward, just after the derby (of course) my dad and I caught 3 silvers that were each around 19lbs. they were bulging in the belly, so we opened them up and found dozens and dozens of needlefish....what we caught those silvers on, was a blue and silver hoochie squid rig, which closely resembles a needlefish while trolling shallow flats.

Release Lake Trout

there was a octopuss in a halibut stomach, im pretty sure its a octopuss

Semper Fi!

Yup that's octo! I think they make better bait, if they've been tried and tested like that one has!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    caught an irish lord in seward once....grabbed it by the tail, a full unopened pack of marlboro reds hit the deck.....another time in seward i was mooching herring for silvers off of 4th of july creek, noticed my rod was jiggin pretty heavy so brought it up, a tomcod had taken the herring, and a 20lb arrowtooth (big ugly!) flounder took the tomcod was pretty cool. another time we caught a huge 20lb yellow sole with a bulging belly, opened him up and counted 47 baby dog sharks he had eaten. ive found baby ducks and birds inside of pike and burbot and even rainbow trout. ive got more somewhere in my head ill post when i remember.
    Not only are those dang lords bait robbers now they're stealin my smokes!

There should be a catch and release policy on yellow sole if one can kill that many dog sharks, then they are my heros!

Default bare truth

skinned 2 bears and thru all knuckles in the water while waiting on the bite. next week same location. client catches a halibut with 2 of them knuckles in the belly! chum with whatever is legal!

not as interesting as some of your finds but once caught a little 14 inch pike,Its belly was bulging out like a lingcods belly does.Cut it open to find a lilypad flower jammed in there.I do not no how he swallowed it.It was bigger than his head!

I accidentally dropped a big curl tailed grub/jighead overboard. A few days later I caught a big ling in the spot and my jig was in it's stomach.

Not as interesting as some of the stuff below, but was pretty cool for me: A whole, recently eaten 7inch rockfish in a halibut stomach. The rockfish was completely intact, it was weird....Also, a 3 inch whole tanner crab, also in a halibut stomach.

Fireweed Seed with the fibers. On a big Grayling that I had watched for several minutes as it was skimming the surface of a backwater eddy. The stomach was packed with the fireweed seeds that were floating on the surface of the creek.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast