Thread: Fly Rod Sizes for the 2010 season!

Arrow Fly Rod Sizes for the 2010 season!

I have two rods and I was wondering if i should pick up a third.

I have a 4wt Rod / Okuma SLV 4/5 for Trout/Grayling and Pink Salmon.

I have an 8wt Rod / Okuma SLV 8/9 for Chum/Sockeye/Choho Salmon as well as small kings [As opposed to the huge Kenai Kings]

I am really reluctant to buy a 10-12wt rod for kings, since I don't fish for them very often, Think its possible to still land a king on an 8wt rod using 8/9 wt line? [I'm not sure if im going to go for heavier line or not] Tell me what you think!

--Chris
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaIsCold View Post

I am really reluctant to buy a 10-12wt rod for kings, since I don't fish for them very often...
    Sounds like you answered your own question. Forget the 10 wt (for now).

If I had a 4wt and 8wt outfit and nothing else, I would add a nice 6wt to the bunch.

Rationale? The 4 wt will be good for small trout and grayling. The 8 wt will be good for silvers, chum, sockeye, and pike. The 6 wt is a natural addition to my way of thinking as it would make a good rod for bigger trout/dollies. If you are like many, this will represent a good bit of your angling effort. Not to mention, this could be a better rod size for pinks than a 4 wt also. It may prevent you from breaking the 4 wt assuming you would be using the 4 wt at times when a more stout rod was a better choice. So having a nice 6 wt rig could get lots of usage, where you admit yourself a 10 wt would not. I find my 6, 7, and 8 wt outfits get the most usage personally and I have everything from 4-10 covered. Many collect dust and are saved for a certain yet untaken trip. If I could only keep one of my setups, it would be my 6 wts. It does depend heavily on what kind of fishing you do. But if I had a 4 and 8 wt, I would add a 6 wt to that set up before looking any further. There is just too big of a gap between the 4 and 8 wts in my opinion. Food for thought at any rate.

Below is the best rod for the money that you have never heard of. My buddy got a similar model (Powell Advantage) a few years back as a back up rod on a float trip. It is a fantastic rod for the money. He contacted Powell at the time and seems it had a $45 charge if the rod ever broke. Meaning you send the rod to them and they will fix/replace it for $45 for the lifetime of the original owner. I would verify this with Powell, but that is not a bad warranty for a rod of this price. Also, TFO is famous for its value and warranty.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...ece-9-6wt.html

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...ece-9-6wt.html

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Everything that Dan said, plus the fact that a 6 wt will make casting larger/heavier streamers and flies (like Dolly Llamas, for instance) much easier and will help when casting in the wind. A 6 wt is an ideal rainbow rod for Alaska. The 4 wt is a just going to be a bit light for trout in a decent current most of the time (although I will say a 3 or 4 wt is the next rod on my list)

I bought my dad that Powell SSL 6 wt for Father's Day last year and he loves it.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Smile

To a large degree the weight of the rod/fly line is for what size fly/streamer you are casting. Exceptions are when you use a #12 green cadias nymph for a plus 3' steelies or even salmon. Then throw a #2 or larger streemer for plus 2' river locked browns.

As for having enough back bone to land fish I will throw these rules of thumb.

Resident Trout 10"-27" #4-#6
    Steel head & large trout #6-#8
    Salmon Chinok/Coho #7-#9

The standard rod great lakes salmon rod is a RPLxi 890 or equivilent. I have both the RPLxi 690 and 790 so I tell you the 690 will handle 30" brown trout. But I prefer the 790 for any non resident trout like steelies that will make big powerfull down river runs. Get a very good reel with a very good drag for them and salmon.

I come here as much to learn what alaska fishing would require, but If I get there to fish I will forgo the main salomn runs and focus on rainbow/dollies/grayling and such so a #5, #6,&#7 is what I bring. Thats is if the guides agree/suggest it. May main dry fly rod is a 486 SP and most fish are 10"-18" that I target with it. But I do not want windy conditions to spoil a day fishing so the reason for the five weight.

Default Rods

AlaskaIsCold - Some good advice already. I think it depends on when and where you are going to fish. One thing to consider when it comes to fishing Alaska. At home you may catch a "couple" nice fish on your 4wt or 6wt. in a day. In Alaska you may catch high numbers of fish. It will really stress you arm if you go to light on a rod. Turns it into work. If you are going to fish Coho, Chums and Rainbows I suggest an 8wt. For more than one King a day get a 10wt. A lot of Fly Shop will rent demo rods for a trip. Might check that out. Have a great trip.

I have a 2 a 4 a 5 a 7 and am gonna get a 9, although I have a 9 somewhere it casts poorly. Oh I also have a couple of 5 wt switch rods, a 10 wt spey (which I need to line correctly) and a 7/8 wt switch.

I really like the 2 and the 5s the 7 is nice for everything but kings which its just a bit small for. (but only a little bit)
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Def some great advise here. I have a 3wt Ross, 4wt, 5/6 TFO & A DRAKE,7wt and a 8wt, i love them all, used the 4wt in the klutina for reds kind of a crazy idea but it worked landed 45 fish in 2 days, def got some funny looks when i walked down ther but had to proove it could be done to a buddy, also used the 3wt recently in the upper kenai and granted they werent the freshest silvers they still gave me a run for my money, also took the most recently bought 8wt TFO Lefty Kreh Sig down there and had a blast with it. Next rods will be a 0wt and a 2wt, A few years back i watched a buddy of mine catch a 12lb steelie on a 2wt with 3lb leader, granted it took 30 + mins he landed and released it unharmed. Personally i like to use lighter tackle for all species. More fun that way being i dont keep them! So needless to say I've been called crazy on more than one occasion, expecially when i pull out the tooths picks.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Smile

One very big thing to concider is just how diffent same weight rods can be from diffrent rod series and the intended design perposes.

Just for example salt water series rod usualy have much much more back bone than most other rod series. The RPLxi rods I like so well for big trout and salmon foul for example. I use The 690/790/890 rods and a freind uses streamer express red/gray which I think is 450grs and rated for 8-10 weight rods. He uses it on a RPLxi 690 and its a rocket launcher. While I use my RPLxi 790 with white/gray 250gr streamer express. This is for big browns trout in rivers that are to deep for wading. While I like the 790 for most steelhead fishing on the St Maires its very fast and knee deep is fine deep. at your inseam its hairy and at waist deep your sweap down river. Now for that very fast and big water I perfer the 890. I have caught quite a few rainbow, steelhead and atlantic/chino/king salmon between 28" and 42". If I had say a imperal/avid type I most likely would want a #9/10 weight rod so I just depends on what series rod you have.

I had a few rods GLX, GL3 G-series scott I collected throught the years and when the SP and RPLxi rods were discontinued I sold most of my non-sage rods and picked up Some SP/RPLxi's all new in box and none for over $300 and with in say 3-4 months these were again selling for pluse $500 or even full retail. Best deal I even got. I keep a GL4 710 for nymph fishing steelhead on smaller rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by 900fusion View Post
    Def some great advise here. I have a 3wt Ross, 4wt, 5/6 TFO & A DRAKE,7wt and a 8wt, i love them all, used the 4wt in the klutina for reds kind of a crazy idea but it worked landed 45 fish in 2 days, def got some funny looks when i walked down ther but had to proove it could be done to a buddy, also used the 3wt recently in the upper kenai and granted they werent the freshest silvers they still gave me a run for my money, also took the most recently bought 8wt TFO Lefty Kreh Sig down there and had a blast with it. Next rods will be a 0wt and a 2wt, A few years back i watched a buddy of mine catch a 12lb steelie on a 2wt with 3lb leader, granted it took 30 + mins he landed and released it unharmed. Personally i like to use lighter tackle for all species. More fun that way being i dont keep them! So needless to say I've been called crazy on more than one occasion, expecially when i pull out the tooths picks.
    Justin, you crack me up!

Landing a red on the Klutina on a 4wt?

I would really have to see it to believe it...that current is way too quick, you must have the perfect back-eddy to be able to do that, or you must have been running hundreds of yards downstream to do it...

A 12lb Steelie on a 2 wt?

I'm not doubting anything you said, I'm just saying I would really like to witness that fight.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Bigcox- ive got some pics of both scenarios once i get them scanned ill post them on here! tight lines

Default Here ya go!

here is on of the reds i caught on the 4wt!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4wt.jpg  

Hah! Anyone can see by the size of that fish it was landed on a 6wt
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I bet that was a fun fight....

You know I've seen a guy tie some 30lb mono on the end of a 20ft tree and catch a fish in the Klutina, so I guess anything is possible..

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

before i started fishing i had some guys up on the bank drinking beer laughing at me and said what are you going to catch with that lil pole and i told them just sit back and watch, after the 8th fish landed i got up and walked away, needless to say they werent laughing anymore! and yes i was using 6lb leader!

before i started fishing i had some guys up on the bank drinking beer laughing at me and said what are you going to catch with that lil pole and i told them just sit back and watch, after the 8th fish landed i got up and walked away, needless to say they werent laughing anymore! and yes i was using 6lb leader!
    How long did it take to land those reds? Just because you can land them on a 4 wt doesn't mean it's good for the fish. You can wear them out and they will never make it to spawn. Sure small rods make the fight fun, but the resource should be thought of also (same goes for trout).

I dont remember it was 3 years ago, but i assure you the fish were just fine! Especially with butter and a dash of pepper. Only kept two but the rest were just fine from what i remember!

Default well played...

I dont remember it was 3 years ago, but i assure you the fish were just fine! Especially with butter and a dash of pepper!

well played...