Thread: Winter Mods

Default Winter Mods

I had the old Hewes craft extedened, and a fillet table/fish box built in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hi all, Erik & Jodi

Default more pics

another look
    Hi all, Erik & Jodi

Oops ment to upload different ones.
    Hi all, Erik & Jodi

thats Killer! you are gonna be really surprised how much better shes gonna perform w/ that added planing surface. Who did the work? I'm nashing at the bit to get mine to the welder and get a new mast to hold my radar and antennas. Oh and I need a dent in the bottom fixed. I wish I knew of a good mobile welder

Default Fantastic!!!

Man that looks amazing...

Would you be willing to post or PM the costs and who did your work...

I have a 20' just screaming for that exact mod...

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by WinMag View Post
    Man that looks amazing...

Would you be willing to post or PM the costs and who did your work...

I have a 20' just screaming for that exact mod...

Thanks...
    I was just looking at the pics and have a hella idea....I noticed the extension has a void w/ a drain. If you put some 2 inch or so holes (one on each side) just below the water line, and added a couple more drain holes in the transom. you would ballast out when you were not on plane (step). Your boat would be a stable platform in rough seas., which is awesome not to be bobbing like a cork, when you're knockin boots w/ barndoors. The beauty of it is the second you throttle up the water drains immediately. Also when you're ballasted out, or tanked down as its called, you won't draw anymore water than you would if you were empty. I've seen this and it works amazingly, I've tied up to boats w/ similar characteristics as mine and they've had this system, it was fairly choppy and I was bouncing like a cork and his boat was barely rocking, plus we were side by side and his boat was no lower in the water

Default Ex transom

EJpainter, what about the trailer supporting the extended transom? I am thinking about doing that same thing to mine. I seen one in Seward a few years ago, and that boat had the whole bottom extended. I've been on a hewes with the ex-tra., and they sure ride better. Where did you get it done at? Sure looke nice

tomfishhunter, I moved it as far foward as I could, about 16"-18" but may have to get a new trailer.

fullbush, I have a friend who's boat does that, but it takes a while to drain and then it's really heavy when pulling off the ramp. I had them add some brackets to bolt on a radar arch and rocket launchers too.

Mikes Welding in Sterling did the work, I had a good idea of what I wanted but, I gave them the creative freedom, I really liked the way they did the fish box/ fillet table.
    Hi all, Erik & Jodi

Thanx EJ, I'm in Soldotna and know Mike. Think I'll run out there and see him. Anything you would do different now that you have been looking at it?
    Thanx

No, I'm very happy. I'm sure I'll come up with ideas this summer. Well maybe acouple tie downs, so I could ratchet strap down a cooler.
    Hi all, Erik & Jodi

Wow great job!!! I have a 22' Ocean Pro and your welder did a fantastic job making the extended transom look like factory work in its design. I also really like your fish table and use of the old motor weld.

Awesome project.

Sobie2

Default Up Date

First trip out, got to put the new filet table and ET to use, they worked great. Table was very nice, lots of work room, no bending over, great storage under it in the old splash well. The new ET feels good too, the top sits a little lower in the water then a stock one due to the orgianal transoms bracing, I didn't find this to be a problem, just something I noticed, the dog also found it handy, twice.
    Hi all, Erik & Jodi

Sure looks an awful lot like this boat...

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1770627984.html

Up sizing?

Sobie2

Default You caught me

I'm busted, That shows how good of a first trip to PWS we had, My wife fell in love with it. We had a blast. I hate to say it but, after being born and raised in Cooper Landing, this was my first time here too. I grew up a river rat. We spent 3 nights & 4 days and couldn't get enough. Our mistake was going with a friend who had a 26' Alaskan. Part of me says " Keep old blue it's enough boat, maybe add the hard top & $70k is a big upgrade/commitment" and the other part says " Just Do IT".
    Don't know what I'll do, but thought I'd test the waters.

The wife plans to drive to Anch. with the boat & pick me up, so we can head right to Whittier.
    Hi all, Erik & Jodi