Thread: Bear Tracks

Default Bear Tracks

I saw the first bear tracks of the year today! A nice set in the snow across the little lagoon where I work. I set my game camera up maybe ill get some pictures. Spring is officially here in Southeast.

Talking

yipee

Default Sweet

That means it wont be long in the Sound. Headin that way in 4 weeks. Nice Pics in Profile. What a way to motivate someone.

Default Bear?

I saw a moose cross the river today. It appeared to have been "raked" by a Bear. Wish I could have seen the other side.

Smile

...Awesome!

-it won't be long, now...
    -right around the corner-
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Default A Question

I have options, what would you do?
    Kodiak Island....
    Would you start your bear hunt in the middle of April (15ish), or wait till May 3rd or 4th.

Anybody on Kodiak have the inside scoop on how the winter has been down there?

Early spring, late spring, what are your thoughts?

thanks, J

Skunk cabbage is a foot high and grass sprigs coming up on the flats around Wrangell

Very tail end of April or May as you mentioned.

mid april for kodiak, winter has been better than MILD snow only half way down the mountains on the north end. may will be startin' to green up and a little agrivating...go in mid april.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Time for Kodiak

+1 what BRWNBR said.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    mid april for kodiak, winter has been better than MILD snow only half way down the mountains on the north end. may will be startin' to green up and a little agrivating...go in mid april.
    Sweet a couple more of these winters and the deer will be on a come back huh??

Won't be long....

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by 350SuperDuty View Post
    That means it wont be long in the Sound. Headin that way in 4 weeks. Nice Pics in Profile. What a way to motivate someone.
    Best of luck to you, but I'd bet that mid April is going to be too early in the Sound. Usually the earliest bears out in the Sound are in the first week of May, and I'm fairly certain that the Sound just got pounded by a lot of snow if the weather in Turnagain and the rest of the Kenai Peninsula is any indication.

ya the deer will bounce back really fast, give them two or even three good winters and you'll see deer like we haven't seen since '98. i saw alot of twins this last fall and alot of does with fawns, few bucks..but if the fawn crop will make it..we'll be headed in the right direction!!
    Master guide 212

come on summer, rumor has it I am due back home in late may or early june! Just maybe I can get in some time chasing bears this spring!

Historically PWS bear hunting best on or after mid-May - usual recommendation is 3rd week in May or after. It is sometimes surprising the amount of snow in the sound come spring and definitely seems to lag behind the mainland - good luck - best black bear capes in AK!

i agree the best black bear hides i've seen have been in PWS, all the hunting i've done there has been first half of may, shot a 7'6" blackie on the first day last year, passed on four bears to shoot him..all on the same hill...never had a shortage of bears on the mountian sides first week of may..hunt the slides, not the beaches that early.
    Master guide 212