Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sight in new scope...bad day

Angry Sight in new scope...bad day

Just got my hands on a new rifle and scope. A 257 Weatherby ultra-light with 3-9 Leupold scope. It is mounted with Warn bases and rings. Took it out today for initial sight-in and had problems with the elevation. Windage adjustment dialed in fine, but could never get the elevation closer than 10 inches low at 25 yards. I would hate to shim the rear base, but does anyone have other ideas?

If it was me, I would take the scope back and get it replaced. 10" low @ 25 yds is waaayyyy off. Did you check the rings and bases to make sure they were right?

Quote Originally Posted by Patty View Post
    Just got my hands on a new rifle and scope. A 257 Weatherby ultra-light with 3-9 Leupold scope. It is mounted with Warn bases and rings. Took it out today for initial sight-in and had problems with the elevation. Windage adjustment dialed in fine, but could never get the elevation closer than 10 inches low at 25 yards. I would hate to shim the rear base, but does anyone have other ideas?
    Patty, I have sent back two brand new 3x9 Leupold VXIII's in the last few months with same problem to the "T". I don't know if Leupold has some quality control issues going on or what but I've got a real sour taste in my mouth in regards to them.

I'd try another scope!

Ouch. This is my 4th Leupold and have always had good luck with them. Your comments make sense, though. If you had problems with 2 new scopes, I may have a bad one as well.

Its probably not the scope its the bases or the rifle..Leupold QC is superb

Default Simple test

Put a straight edge on the tops of the two bases and see if they are level with each other.

I'm better one is higher- or lower- than the other. If it is shooting way low the front is probably higher than the rear.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I would bet rings or bases also. Leupold and Weatherby are usually very high quality. I would get some Talley Lightweights to try first. If that doesn't work, I would try a different scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Its probably not the scope its the bases or the rifle..Leupold QC is superb
    Most of the time obviously!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

My Weatherby was like that. I couldn't get enough elevation, so I shimmed the rear base. It looked like crap, with a gap betwixt the receiver and base, so I took it to my gunsmith, and he machined new bases to fit and give me the correct alignment.

These were Leupold QRW rings and bases. I like them, but I don't like Leupold Optics, because I've had bad luck with them, and I consider them way over-priced.

With the new bases made to fit my gun, I've been able to use 3 different scopes on it with no problem.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Thanks for all of the input. I'll try a few things and contact Leupold as well.

Patty,
    Am pretty sure it is in your ring and mount combination. When attempting to sight in the same scope of my wifes rifle I tried Weaver rings and mounts, One piece Talleys, and then Leupold mounts and rings. Nothing would allow the scope to be zeroed according to the bore sighter. Finally replaced the Leupold rings with Burris rings that have the plastic inserts and all is well.
    Burris also sells these rings with removeable inserts in different heights which permits you to essentially shim either ring and to varying degrees.
    Brownells sells them. Just to there web site and do a search for Burris Signature rings. But it would be less expensive to just shim the mount.
    Tennessee

Patty if you are here in town just bring it by and let the guys look at it

I wish I did live up there. Sad to say, but I'm a flatlander in Kansas. Son and his family is up there so I get a chance to visit a couple of times each year. Again, thanks for all of the input. I'll let you know what happens.

From what I've red about the Burris Signature Rings that Snowwolfe mentioned, they are great rings and i plan to put them on my rifle in the future. But I think (and I may be wrong) the max correction you can get from them is a bout 40 MOA (20 MOA front and 20 MOA rear). 10" @ 25 yds is about 40 MOA so it might be questionable whether or not it resolves your problem. Just a guess, but I agree with most others in thinking it's probably something to do with your ring and base configuration. That would be the easiest thing to check before exchanging the scope.

My curiousity is peaked, so I'll be interested in hearing what you find out.

Be aware that if your scope is misaligned for windage, and you have used a lot of the windage adjustment to get it zeroed, that this will limit the amount of elevation available for adjustment. To give a picture of this, put a 3/4" tube inside of a 1" tube and hold it in the center of the larger, outside tube. See how much vertical travel it has. Now, push the tube right or left and see how it limits the vertical movement. The inside, smaller tube that holds the crosshairs will impact the outer tube and be unable to utilize its full travel for elevation adjustment.
    Last edited by gunbugs; 03-20-2010 at 15:24. Reason: spaelink
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Default lots of shims

To get your scope zeroed you would need ~.08" of shim and rounding up to .1" ( a tiny bit more than 3/32")would be better so you are closer to the scope center.

I would certainly look at the mounting system first. I believe, I could be wrong, Weatherbys have a level top, if so just looking at the bases should tell you where the problem lies. I Would also try a different scope for giggles. Not to say that it is not possible to get a bad one but Leupold scopes have a very good track record for quality. The number of Leupolds on guns with .000" group aspirations should attest to their quality. I have owned 15-20 over the years and still have most of them and have never encountered a problem. The one exception was an old Leupold branded Gilmore scopes that fogged after 10 years of use and was repaired by Gilmore, who I believe is no longer in the scope biz, at no cost.

I know Leupold is considered by many to be one of the best bargains for a top shelf scope. Nothing can really be considered expensive when a $5 cup of coffee is considered the norm anymore

Default Success !!!

This was quite an adventure. First, I want to thank you all for the suggestions and advice, especially with regards to the bases. When I originally ordered the bases from Warne, I did specify for a Weatherby .257 magnum Mark V. After thinking it over and reading your responses, it left me thnking it was either the Leupold scope or the bases. I contacted Leupold, and they suspected the problem was in the mounting system. They did send me various shims if I wanted to use them. I didn't like the look and decided to contact Weatherby. They said the magnum rifle does require a different size front and rear base. Their mounting system is made by Talley so I decided to try it, and returned the Warne bases and rings. After re-mounting, it shoots great. I was able to get a very nice 1 inch 3 shot group at 100 yards using only a bull bag. While I am not the best shot, this gives me a great deal of confidence in the rifle, scope and mounting system. In retrospect, I believe the Warne bases were made for a non-magnum caliber. Either I ordered the wrong part number or they sent me the wrong bases. Still not sure, but at least it all worked out. Again, thanks to all for your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Patty View Post
    When I originally ordered the bases from Warne, I did specify for a Weatherby .257 magnum Mark V.

decided to contact Weatherby. They said the magnum rifle does require a different size front and rear base. Their mounting system is made by Talley so I decided to try it, and returned the Warne bases and rings. After re-mounting, it shoots great. I was able to get a very nice 1 inch 3 shot group at 100 yards using only a bull bag. While I am not the best shot, this gives me a great deal of confidence in the rifle, scope and mounting system. In retrospect, I believe the Warne bases were made for a non-magnum caliber. Either I ordered the wrong part number or they sent me the wrong bases. Still not sure, but at least it all worked out. Again, thanks to all for your suggestions.
    That might explain why MY Mark V didn't line up. (Maybe I needed bases made for it.) According to the info I had, they were the same bases as for a Rem. 700.

It's not at all UNUSUAL for a Weatherby rifle to be ACCURATE.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Default Scope rings

I had 'issues' with a BAR 10 a few moinths ago in that it would not shoot low enough. I had purchased a high set of rings when I set the system up. During sight in I was not able to get it to shoot low enough at 25 meters to be any thing close. I got a shorter set of rings and everything fell in to place.
    Guess that it pays to pay attention to what you are setting up.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    I had 'issues' with a BAR 10 a few moinths ago in that it would not shoot low enough. I had purchased a high set of rings when I set the system up. During sight in I was not able to get it to shoot low enough at 25 meters to be any thing close. I got a shorter set of rings and everything fell in to place.
    Guess that it pays to pay attention to what you are setting up.
    With a higher mounted scope, the bullet crosses the line of sight the first time, further out than with with a lower mount.

With a scope mounted about 1.5 inches above the bore, the bullet should cross first at 25 yards or thereabouts, maybe even 35 yards.

It seems like, if you couldn't get sighted in at 25 meters, there was a problem, other than just a high mount. ???

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast