Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ...winter kill finds...

Default ...winter kill finds...

...What neat winter kills have you found?

-2 years ago, in Feb,we found a 10" billy that had very recently died of starvation- the hide is gorgeous; and, we boiled out the skull -

-some years ago, hubby found a 12 1/2 y/o sheep skull and horns in a slide-
    ...maybe I'll post some pics; I have to re-size...
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Smile winter kill

Looking forward to seeing the picture.
    Years ago, My buddy and I were hunting Sheep in the Brooks range. We were walking along a river bottom when I took off running. At first I'm sure he thought I was being attacked by a swarm of BEES. What I had seen was the point of a Sheep horn sticking out of the gravel. a little digging produced a fine 35" horn. Try as I may I could not find the match.
    It pays to always be alert.

Default great

great thread huntress, we will get some interesting stories from this one!
    I didnt find any (yet) but some good friends found where a wolverine had killed a caribou.

Found a skull and horns of a winer killed ram back in '95, I took some pictures of it but left it there. Kinda wish I hadn't now but I was more interested in finding a live ram.

Default sheep skull pickup...

...here's some pics for starters;
    -Kenai ram skull pickup-
    we do our skulls ourselves...
    -anyone have a better estimate on the age?...(I think I count 12 1/2...though, maybe I just get a little too excited about sheep-lol-)

-goat hide, tomorrow-

....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Nice!.........

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    Looking forward to seeing the picture.
    Years ago, My buddy and I were hunting Sheep in the Brooks range. We were walking along a river bottom when I took off running. At first I'm sure he thought I was being attacked by a swarm of BEES. What I had seen was the point of a Sheep horn sticking out of the gravel. a little digging produced a fine 35" horn. Try as I may I could not find the match.
    It pays to always be alert.

...I am wary of bees, too!

-neat that you found that!
    -each year I wonder how many buried kills I'm traversing over....

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    great thread huntress, we will get some interesting stories from this one!
    I didnt find any (yet) but some good friends found where a wolverine had killed a caribou.
    ...thanks, Yukon!

-I'm looking forward to all the additional stories, too!

-thanks for the posts so far, guys....

We found about a 9" billi horn last year on kodiak as well as a couple other bone fragments. Picked it up and stashed it with a goat we killed that morning while we went off looking for #2. Ended up getting a second goat down and in the excitement of putting two on the ground in about 5 hours we forgot all about the horn and left it sitting there when we packed up. After hiking two boned out goats and their complete "skull in" hides back to spike camp in one trip I can't say I regret leaving the extra weight behind no matter how light it was. 1/2 way through the hike I am pretty sure I considered leaving my rifle behind as a purely reasonable option!

Default heavy

know how you felt Lujon! Your tougher than I am, I DID leave a good tripod 12 miles back in the sheep hills this year.... pack still weighed 92lbs when I got home but I had every ounce of meat!

Default winter kill deer stashes with bear

I've run across killed deer that have been stashed by bear in SE.

This past fall I was hiking up a steep sided creek valley with snow slides still all the way to the creek clear into fall, I came across a bear refrigerator. The bear had been stashing deer it killed all summer it seems, haulin' em out on the ice, eating, and fetchin another. I found easily a dozen hoof and many more piles of bear scat all laying on that bear refrigerator. That bear had it good up there with plenty of deer and berries everywhere.

Default young white tail

When I was a kid me and a buddy found a white tail doe lodged in the Y of 2 small trees. Something must've spooked her to make her attempt the jump. Decades later that same buddy told me a spooky tale of himself on a bow shot blood trail walking up to a buck lodged up high just like the doe of our youth. He didn't see it until he was almost on top of it and it was at eye level.

Thumbs up Winter Kills...

Haven't found anything up here yet, but back in AZ I've found several deer and elk carcasses that were winter kills...couple raghorn bulls and a nice mid 70's Coues Whitetail were the better finds. Still torn on whether the Whitetail was a winter kill or a mountain lion victim...Have found black bear, coyote, bobcat, and a coatimundi skulls but couldn't tell you how they came to their demise...Would love to have a find like that Sheep!!! That's awesome!!

AZinAK

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    know how you felt Lujon! Your tougher than I am, I DID leave a good tripod 12 miles back in the sheep hills this year.... pack still weighed 92lbs when I got home but I had every ounce of meat!
    That is why I use a 2 oz. pedco tripod...

Interesting thread!
    Proud to be an American!

I found a dead fly on the window sill in my kitchen...

Anybody have an idea what the law is regarding "picked up" animals? Everybody does it including me. But I know in some states it's not legal even though everyone does it. How do you explain your find if you get checked coming out of the field with a set of horn/antlers? I know it's pretty obvious in most cases that it came from a natural kill, but I can imagine an over zealous trooper with a 101 questions.

This isn't a horn or something neat like that but last fall I was with another guide scouting out a trail up the side of a mountain where planned to take a couple of goat hunt clients later on. We were following a creek up at about 300ft above the Gulf and about 2 miles inland I found a fossil of a sea shell.
    Chuck

Default pictures

if your worried about getting in trouble take a lot of pictures and maybe even gps coordinates.....up here its finders keepers unless your in "hard" national park

the deer in the "y"

my uncle found a 160" whitetail in a tree like that...the entire skeleton lay there and he had to cut the tree to get the skull out...some critters had chewd on it just a little but its still quite impressive

i myself have found lots of dead deer in michigan and up here lots of caribou and moose winter kills and shed out in western alaska guiding...on the peninsula i found where a boar had killed and buried a cub.....oh which brings up if you find a bear skull you should get it sealed...i've also found various sheep parts up in the mountains..never a full skull and horns though
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

ive found some neat stuff....one year we were moose hunting and i saw somethin stickin out of the brush that didnt look right....recovered a 52" moose rack and skull.....had been there for awhile as the skull was pretty clean and antler tips were nibbled, dont know the story on it....also have found dead black bears, shed antlers, and fossils. Ive also found dead dogs (pets), buried moose and caribou calves (spooky situations) and once a dead grizzly bear with a caved in skull () was very strange

Release Lake Trout

Default fossils

Quote Originally Posted by hiline View Post
    This isn't a horn or something neat like that but last fall I was with another guide scouting out a trail up the side of a mountain where planned to take a couple of goat hunt clients later on. We were following a creek up at about 300ft above the Gulf and about 2 miles inland I found a fossil of a sea shell.

oddly enough the talkeetna mountains hold a great assortment of fossilized sealife
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast